Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-01-2009, 02:17 PM

Default Choosing a Duck and Goose call

Hey guys I need to buy a better duck call than my crappy $15 one (A goose call as well). I looked at feather dusters and they have a duck call for $42. Is it a good deal? Can someone maybe email me sound files of the feather duster? Tell me anything you know about duck and goose calls that you feel could help me.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 07-01-2009, 06:40 PM

If you are close to edmonton I suggest going and talking with Jason at canadian waterfowlers pro shop. He'll give you some good tips and will never lead you astray. Look them up on the web for address and such.

I personally use Zink PH2 duck call mostly and a Zink power clucker (I think thats what its called) they both were around 60 dollars and came with instructional DVDs which were very helpful.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:44 PM
Banned

Can't help with the duck call, but I like a Foiles Strait Meat goose call.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:41 PM

It's really a question of how much experience you have running both and what your most frequent hunting conditions are - ie. water / open or closed-in for ducks, lessers, greaters, field or water for geese. The fit of a call in your hands is very important - a call that doesn't fit you well will tend to promote poor mechanics.

For ducks, have you been running double or single reed? If you're comfortable with a single reed then there are many great calls you can get that will suit your needs in pretty much any price range. The Featherduster you are looking at has a plastic Buck Gardner insert - if you want to go that route I would probably just buy a Buck Gardner. Another call in that price range that will gove you great performance in all acrylic is a Ducklander - very nice calls and Bobby is a great guy to deal with. A wood Brian Watkins Original in cocobolo will sound amazing, be easy to run like a double, and WILL NOT stick on you - his tone boards are as amazing as his customer service. For a double, I would suggest a Lynch Mob Stranglehold in delrin - great sound, very natural, good hunting range, medium volume, and LM customer service is top-shelf...if you don't mind spending a bit more for acrylix, the new Stranglehold is the best sounding timber call I've heard.

For geese, I always look more at whether I am doing more field hunting or water hunting that whether I'm hunting lessers or greaters - migrating greaters are as attracted to the high pitch and aggression of lesser style calls as the smaller birds are. Next is fit - you need to find a call that feels right in your hands. Zink calls sound great, but I can't stand the bell-ended inserts they have, so I don't run them. Similarly, Tim Grounds calls, which are among the goosiest things out there, have an insert that is much to small in diameter for my larger hands, so I don't run them. The Bay Country Shore Thing is one of the best sounding calls made, and John Taylor (owner) is one of the finest gentlement in the industry, but the inverted cone shape of the mouth-piece doesn't appeal to me...the fit in your hands and the comfort at your maouth are paramount to running the call well. I prefer calls that are fast, loud, high-pitched, and aggressive - traffic calls. You can reach way out there with these calls, and you can run them all day without getting winded. I always carry two goose calls on my lanyard - a traffic style call and a honker call. My go-to is the traffic style - a Lynch Mob Reaper in cocbolo. My back-up to it is a new style Lynch Mob Executioner tuned deep. The Reaper is a call that requires solid hand-work to get its potential - the Executioner is child-proof!:cool - my 7 year old can get notes out of it. If I was going to carry only one call it would be the new Executioner tuned a little high with a good set of broken in guts so I could get great low range. On a budget, I would go with a Reaper made of delrin - it's pure goose. Many other calls meet these characteristics, and I have run most of them. The Saunders Traffic, GK Canuck or LH-1, the Gander Valley PCS (an amazing call for a great price), and various others will give you the higher pitch that attract the birds, but still get down plenty low to close the deal. Another great call for a sweet price is the Shawn Stahl signature SS-1 - they are being cleared out for crazy prices - all acrylic call - they just need a gut upgrade.

I am a member of the Lynch Mob pro staff, so please feel free to pm me for more info about those call or if you'd like a soundfile of them.

Sorry about the novel...hope it helps.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:11 PM

If you are serious about learning to call ducks, toss the double reed calls in the trash and begin the learning process on a single reed, J-frame 'Arkansas' style call. There's lots of good ones on the market, but I would suggest the RNT Quackhead for about $20 or their poly/wood Hunter call for $40. These are both easy calls to learn on and are a versatile call that comes from the shop hand tuned and ready to hunt. I personally avoid so-called 'timber' calls, as they are designed and tuned to limit volume, and most are impossible to get LOUD on. With practice, most any open-water style call can be run soft, but the opposite is not so true with these 'timber' calls. I like RNT originals, I've been using them for going on 15 years their reputaion speaks for itself.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:55 PM

RNT makes some kick-@ss calls! I have an easier time getting good low duck out of the MVP than the Original for some reason. If I could only carry one of their calls, it would be the Daisy Cutter - it can do pretty much anything, and is one of the most realistic sounding singles out there once you learn to run it.

Tags
calls, duck, duster, feather, goose