Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2019, 03:14 PM

Default Retail therapy/ vices?

How many of you experience this where you see soon thing and you just have to have it. How often do you indulge in your desires, weather it for a new shotgun, pair boots, fishing rod, wine, whiskey, cigar, you get the idea. Does it get to the point where buying it is just as exciting as owning it. Does the novelity of owner ship fade for you.
Do you impulse purchase or research the hell out it.
Just curious about the psychology of purchasing.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
How many of you experience this where you see soon thing and you just have to have it. How often do you indulge in your desires, weather it for a new shotgun, pair boots, fishing rod, wine, whiskey, cigar, you get the idea. Does it get to the point where buying it is just as exciting as owning it. Does the novelity of owner ship fade for you.
Usually think long and hard about my 'need vs want'.
Wasn't always so...used to be much more impulsive with my purchases. But after ten years of that I realized I had a house full of stuff, half of which I never used...or used once or twice.
Now when I want something I spend time deciding if I need it. If I feel I do I buy the best I can afford because I know I'll likely use it a lot.
I have less junk and more money to spend doing stuff with my kids...making memories is way more important than a lot of cheap crap.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:44 PM

silly boys

IT IS NEVER A QUESTION OF NEED

silly boys

Old 01-24-2019, 04:04 PM

I’m horrible for impulse buying. Also bad for forgetting I bought things and buying duplicates. My wife once counted six guns I had never even taken a shot with. This year I found a brand new $400 pack with tags still on it that I bought almost 10 years ago and completely forgot. Found three .30 cal bore snakes I’ve never used. Just to name a few.

I’m trying to put more thought into what I buy for the last few years but I am still a sucker for a good deal. Wife had a little discussion with me last year when I found a 79 corvette that was too good of a deal to pass up and bought it that day. Something about being 7 miles off pavement made her question my “investment “.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:10 PM

I am the opposite of impulsive, I will think on something for months before I buy. Never pay retail, I actually laugh at some of the ask prices in the buy and sell, guys pay retail price and then try and sell an item for more than you can get it on sale for. Retail is for suckers. I have been waiting for my spinning reel of choice to go on sale for over three months, I can wait.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-24-2019, 04:18 PM

Since the human mind can only think one thought at a time when you think that thought or get the urge to buy distract yourself.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-24-2019, 04:20 PM

Looking around my basement and garage there is nothing that I need or want to improve the enjoyment of my home and pastimes. My acquisition phase is long over, unless something is a game changer or to replace something that breaks. Pursuit of happiness through acquiring more than what is necessary is an illusion, and the faster you get over that phase the better.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:47 PM

It is funny how one justifies the purchases. For me it’s about enjoyment, it seems the if it easier and more enjoyable, I would do it more often. At least that how I try and convince myself into purchases that I other wise don’t need. Also if I can use it multiple different settings. Lol.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:50 PM
Banned

I prefer fewer quality items instead of a plethora of crap.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
Looking around my basement and garage there is nothing that I need or want to improve the enjoyment of my home and pastimes. My acquisition phase is long over, unless something is a game changer or to replace something that breaks. Pursuit of happiness through acquiring more than what is necessary is an illusion, and the faster you get over that phase the better.
Ya... But I bet you don't have a K-tel Popiel's pocket fisherman...
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-24-2019, 05:17 PM

I impulsively buy Slurpees, everything else is usually researched and thought about for months, then looked for used depending on what it is, then finally purchased if I still want it.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:38 PM

I impulsively purchase cocaine, i dont like the stuff.... just the smell of it.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:55 PM

If i still want something like i wanted the previous day, i will 90% go get it the following day.
Walking away initially is the all important step.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Legalize medical cocaine!
Old 01-24-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
You crazy bugger. Laughed hard at that one.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
I also by a lot of ****, play with it then take it back the next day. They know me by name at the Best Buy customer service department.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I am the opposite of impulsive, I will think on something for months before I buy. Never pay retail, I actually laugh at some of the ask prices in the buy and sell, guys pay retail price and then try and sell an item for more than you can get it on sale for. Retail is for suckers. I have been waiting for my spinning reel of choice to go on sale for over three months, I can wait.
X2
I get more of a rush out of getting the best deal I can, on a product I researched the **** out of.
Wanted redwing iron rangers for years. Couldn't justify the 380.00 Waited long enough found a pair my size new in box for 150.00.
Makes me smile every time I slide them on!
Old 01-24-2019, 07:04 PM

Default For me it is the research

I spend copious amounts of time researching my purchases, holidays, etc... For me it is the very best part. By far.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I spend copious amounts of time researching my purchases, holidays, etc... For me it is the very best part. By far.
Me too. But once I've purchased something, I forget what I've paid for it. The value/need/want/decision is made, the deal's done, - the price I paid is no longer a concern. I honestly don't recall it the following day.
Now my wife ..... she can tell you what I paid for a keychain 25 years ago!
Old 01-24-2019, 10:18 PM

Bought my first compound bow after Christmas. I'm screwed!
Old 01-24-2019, 10:30 PM

I am pretty bad for it... love setting up gear systems and modifying stuff. Buy a knife on sale for $20 bucks and spend $10 on kydex making a tiny sheath - buy a bow with arrows for $100 bucks off kijiji and spend $100 on pliers, square, case and pvc to make quivers. It all adds up quick as I am always doing this.

My wife and I just started a spending freeze a couple weeks ago - no buying nothing but gas/groceries/activities with the kids. Amazing how much you save not buying coffee and lunch out.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:28 PM

I'm a terrible impulse shopper and Amazon does not help!
I'm particularly bad about it when it comes to guitars. I have "a few" guitars and gave one to my brother today. On the way home from his place, I bought two more.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:38 AM

I never impulse buy, in fact the opposite it true, I probably analyse things to much, comes from 45 years in the supply and logistics business, drives the wife nuts, takes me a month to buy a new vehicle after I make up my mind that we need one, I have a sted fast rule that's called " the sleep on it rule " if you get up the next morning and still feel that you have to have it then away you go, however I find a lot of the time by the next morning I could not justify the impulse buy so I pass on it.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:00 AM

I have a fair share of impulse buys, but now I’m really cutting them out. I do research what items I want when it comes to the items but once I have it, it gets used. I normally fall asleep and wake up blank until my brain turns on and then it doesn’t stop, on things I’d like or need to do or what could be better, for the whole day. So if it’s still on my mind if I wake up a couple days later, I’ll buy it, or if I find a good deal on it. My fiancé starts telling me to shut it off when I’m laying in bed, sometimes it gets hard to.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
"If we would only give the same amount of thought to what we want to get out of life as we give to the thoughts of fishing, hunting and holidays, we would be startled at how aimless our busy days at work are." ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-25-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Only the nose knows.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:47 PM

I like to think I got a deal on my stuff,If it's something the is expensive I shop around hard if I am not in hurry for it.If I find a rifle online on buy and sell I grab it if that's what I want,to save 100 bucks and wait 2 years for another is like trying to save on ass wipe.