Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2019, 01:32 PM

Default Bill Morneau wants to ensure millennials can afford homes

http://www.iheartradio.ca/newstalk-1...ials-1.8687887
Old 01-24-2019, 01:56 PM

Can't wait to donate. Oh wait I already do.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:48 PM

Millinials like to live in "skinny homes".

Shipping containers are pretty "skinny".

So where's the problem? Lots of Shipping Containers to meet the current crisis, right!

Lets face it, the way the Libs are going, we all will be living in Shipping Containers.

Drewski
Old 01-24-2019, 03:51 PM

Shouldn't that headline be "Bill Morneau wants to make Vote buying more affordable"
Old 01-24-2019, 03:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post

So where's the problem? Lots of Shipping Containers to meet the current crisis, right!

Lets face it, the way the Libs are going, we all will be living in Shipping Containers.

Drewski
Just pray you don't get sent to live in one on one of the FEMA barge's...i here that they come with amazing ocean views though...
Old 01-24-2019, 04:13 PM

Perfect. Sellers can then inflate prices even more to meet the demand. What could go wrong.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:18 PM

Good jobs in a good economy would help, no?
Old 01-24-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Why work when the gov. Will help?
Old 01-24-2019, 05:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Jobs for who exactly?

https://youtu.be/Fb7p6_JDHmk
Old 01-24-2019, 05:20 PM

Stop giving away our money to terrorists and foreign governments, and to millionaire foundations, and reduce taxes.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post

Drewski
Yes and containers can be stacked, add stairs and voila you have condos.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:45 PM

there's an avocado toast joke here somewhere.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
there's an avocado toast joke here somewhere.
And some derby hats and soy lattes!
Old 01-24-2019, 05:59 PM

I’m no millennial but house prices are ridiculous this day and age. Way harder to pay off a home today than 30 years ago. People were paying them off in 10 years. Good luck for someone nowadays.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:04 PM

Last edited by tri777; 01-24-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I’m no millennial but house prices are ridiculous this day and age. Way harder to pay off a home today than 30 years ago. People were paying them off in 10 years. Good luck for someone nowadays.
Not necessarily, yes houses are much more expensive but borrowing money is cheap. Our first place cost me 14% interest vs today at what 3.5% and, Nobody I know was paying off their houses in 10 yrs Took me the standard 25+ like most people. The difference then was we weren't buying boats and jacked up trucks ,sled and quads at the same time as the house . I got my toys after the house debt was sorted out .
Old 01-24-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Not necessarily, yes houses are much more expensive but borrowing money is cheap. Our first place cost me 14% interest vs today at what 3.5% and, Nobody I know was paying off their houses in 10 yrs Took me the standard 25+ like most people. The difference then was we weren't buying boats and jacked up trucks ,sled and quads at the same time as the house . I got my toys after the house debt was sorted out .
Exactly

Colin
Old 01-24-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog57 View Post
Shouldn't that headline be "Bill Morneau wants to make Vote buying more affordable"
That’s exactly what libs are doing with that one! He has nothing on a table as of now on how they are going to do it. I think it’s all just hot air at the moment but I wouldn’t be surprised if they will come up with some kind of idiotic social justice solution. Like the rich people who’s house is worth more than let’s say $700,000 will have to pay a “special assessment” for a poor people.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog57 View Post
Bingo, nail on the head, election year so need to start to buy votes and the millennials are easily " persuaded " to vote a certain way

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Yes, and people used to buy 600 sq./ft houses, with no cable, no internet, no cell phone and own only 1 vehicle. The problem is the not house prices, but the standard of living they expect.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
If you don't have your spending habits under control; no amount of time will be enough to pay of your mortgage off or any other debt...

Yup, just buying votes.....

IMHO

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
Yes, and people used to buy 600 sq./ft houses, with no cable, no internet, no cell phone and own only 1 vehicle. The problem is the not house prices, but the standard of living they expect.
People also never paid the taxes that we pay now, at one time there was not even an income tax, let alone a carbon tax. But then our government wasn't handing cash over to every refugee that illegally entered the country,and we didn't give millions to terrorists. If people were taxed less, they could afford more.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:28 AM

Best comparison to then and now is " How many years of gross money you earn to buy home in 70,s compared to now" Must compare apples- apples a 1200 sq foot home , not castles our kids think they need today.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:29 AM

Default Housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
That’s exactly what libs are doing with that one! He has nothing on a table as of now on how they are going to do it. I think it’s all just hot air at the moment but I wouldn’t be surprised if they will come up with some kind of idiotic social justice solution. Like the rich people who’s house is worth more than let’s say $700,000 will have to pay a “special assessment” for a poor people.
Sort of what’s happening in certain places here in BC. Vacant home tax, excessive value tax.....more grabbing to give more to the government.
CranePete
Old 01-25-2019, 09:04 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Huh.....10 years ago lower wages, lower house costs.....now higher wages and higher house costs....all works out to about the same....if you want a house go to work, pay it off quickly but if your into all brand new crap every two years as in high end items, boats, rv's etc good luck and those wankers wonder why they cant have freedom 55.......or earlier.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-25-2019, 09:29 AM

Lets see, in 1981, when I was at that millennial age, Turdo's old man had the interest rate at 20%+ so how many of us at that time could afford a house and those poor kids today have it so hard.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Conveniently also not mentioned: could easily net 8-9% in a savings account in those days. Quick to save a good chunk of the cost of a house in those days, especially when a house only cost $90,000 for a bungalow starter home in an OK neighbourhood vs $350,000 for a comparable today.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:28 AM

Lol at people who think it’s easier to afford a standard house these days. I almost want to cry when I see housing prices in newspapers from 2005. I’m a millennial with no toys and drive a 15 year old corolla. I make a good living and it is difficult to make it with the way everything is inflating.

Last edited by Dynamic; 01-25-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Best comparison to then and now is " How many years of gross money you earn to buy home in 70,s compared to now" Must compare apples- apples a 1200 sq foot home , not castles our kids think they need today.
Average house size in Canada in 1975 was 1400sq/ft. Average house size in 2018 is 2400sq/ft. Average family size in 1975 was 3.5, now it's 2.4.
So now we appear to need 1000sq/ft of extra space for families with 1 less person.
The reason they can't afford it is they expect too much.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:52 AM

I hear young folks that were born in Canmore say they cant afford to buy into the town they were born in but think nothing of paying large to drink and ski and Mexico vacations etc etc.
Then there are the young folks that have managed to buy in, just not a million dollar house but a condo as a starting point.