Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
It’s been in the glove box since last March/April. I had completely forgot about it. I never drive it or wash it or ever really look at it since I bought my new truck. In that time it’s driver about 3000km tops, and never been pulled over so we never even looked at the registration. I just know it was valid because I have never let it go expired.
why fight it just pay
Old 01-24-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
It’s been in the glove box since last March/April. I had completely forgot about it. I never drive it or wash it or ever really look at it since I bought my new truck. In that time it’s driver about 3000km tops, and never been pulled over so we never even looked at the registration. I just know it was valid because I have never let it go expired.
^^^ Pay the ticket
Old 01-24-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
please forgive me but were you waiting for 2020,

it is your responsibility to do the following:

buy the plate stickers,
put them on in the correct place in a timely fashion,
sign your registration papers in both names if they are
registered in both people,

live goes on you were in the wrong.,

so now the question is

DO YOU PERFORM A WALK AROUND BEFORE YOU DRIVE,

DO YOU CHECK THE TIRE PRESSURE,

DO YOU CHECK THE TIRES, AND SO ON

so where do we draw the line, the more facts we get the worse it is for you

IF A JUDGE LETS YOU OFF AFTER HOW MANY MONTHS 9 OR 10 THEN THE JUDGE SHOULD BE FIRED,

as to the many comments about the police he is in the right here,

maybe your lovely wife gave him lip, or worse yet

agreed it was 9 months since she got the stuff but did not want to put it on lest it get dirty

there is no excuse pay the fine or show up and ask for less,

if you cannot do a very simple task how do we know you can pay attention to OTHER RULES OF THE ROAD , just askin
Cement Bench
Old 01-24-2019, 02:00 PM

I appreciate the advice but I think I am going to fight it and at least try to save some if not all of the 310. The being pulled over was a good a lesson for us on its own. If the officer handled it differently, my respect for the RCMP would have also increased as well. Instead I am going to waste everyone’s time and fight it.

I’ve received tickets in the past, which I always own up too and pay. Hence why this is my first time going in front of a judge or JP. I just feel he could of handled it much differently instead of giving the ticket and telling my wife “it’s a nice day, wash your car and put it on” (which she just told me he said.)
Old 01-24-2019, 02:04 PM

Just have your wife go to the courthouse anytime before the court date talk to the JP as previously mentioned and explain the story in a polite manner. I would be surprised if they didn't cancel the ticket or at a minimum reduce it substantially. It happened to me where I didn't get the renewal notice because I moved right around my renewal date and they reduced the fine to zero. The guy didn't even argue with me.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
It says “indecent expos”... sorry wrong ticket.

“Section 53(c) of the Traffic Safety ACT - Drive or park motor vehicle or trailer with expired license plate”

Then where it has all the information on the driver and vehicle, it says “plate year 2019”
Personally I would go plead not guilty to that since your plate actually had not expired. That's why I was wondering if the offense might be "failure to display validation tab" or something. Let's face it, it's one thing to not to have renewed your registration, but if you've done that but failed to put the validation tab on, you're not driving a vehicle with an expired plate.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I appreciate the advice but I think I am going to fight it and at least try to save some if not all of the 310. The being pulled over was a good a lesson for us on its own. If the officer handled it differently, my respect for the RCMP would have also increased as well. Instead I am going to waste everyone’s time and fight it.

I’ve received tickets in the past, which I always own up too and pay. Hence why this is my first time going in front of a judge or JP. I just feel he could of handled it much differently instead of giving the ticket and telling my wife “it’s a nice day, wash your car and put it on” (which she just told me he said.)

atta boy!

and scoring some man points with the wifey, kinda standing up for her honour. nice
Old 01-24-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
except the dam sticker was not on the plate
Well I have had the sticker fall off a vehicle at least three time that I remember. Once I noticed it when I was washing the vehicle, the other I didn't notice till I went to put on the new one. I also drove a vehicle for 4 years with expired plates because I plain forgot to renew that one and I wasn't getting the automatic notices they used to issue for that particular vehicle. It got driven about once a year. Had 11 vehicles at the time, I was the only driver.

I would have paid the fine on the last one, no way I would have paid it on the other three. I would have definitely fought those. Who the hell regularly checks their plates for the current sticker.

On top of that, he wasn't displaying an expired license plate, which is what that section is about, it was renewed, therefore current and a legitimate plate to have on the vehicle.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:38 PM
Banned

Quote:

Make the appearance in traffic court , the judge may well REDUCE the amount of the rediculous traffic fine to a reasonable sum, or may even totally dismiss the ticket,

If the judge rips the super-cop a new orifice for being a dick, you get some extra payback
Old 01-24-2019, 02:50 PM

Don't bother going to see the crown prosecutor.

Mail in a not guilty.

First appearance day is deliberately set up so it frustrates you so bad you pay the stupid thing. Plus you gotta hang around with losers all morning waiting to see him/her.

Good luck.

Last edited by Sneeze; 01-24-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:02 PM

Just an observation ........... I can't understand why people go renew their plates, get the new registration and new sticker and then throw them all in the glove box ?.. put the dam sticker on the plate, really how hard is that, it takes less than 1 minute, now you got a $310 ticket and are talking about wasting a day of your time in court to fight it.......seriously

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Fight it. The Cop was just being a Dick!! It is month end and he was probably short of his quota and if anyone tries to tell you there is no quota, they don't know what they are talking about.

You paid the registration fee, had the papers and sticker in the car and produced them. Should have been no issue.
Agree, what a d!ck move.

He knew there was valid registration on the vehicle before he even got out of his.

At the most it should of been a warning, but his time would of been much better spent telling you to put the sticker on, or god forbid even helping. Nobody is being served or protected by what he did.

As Elk mentioned make sure your licence has no cracks in it, that's another big fine. Was riding shotgun when a friend got pulled over for a "routine safety stop" after pulling out of a bar parking lot where we just left Dart league (none of us had anything to drink, he was just fishing) and he told me had I been driving he would of gave me that ticket

I'm not a cop hater but I can see why so many are.
Can't say enough good about EPS though, RC's could learn a lot from them
Old 01-24-2019, 03:07 PM

Just an observation ........... I can't understand why people go renew their plates, get the new registration and new sticker and then throw them all in the glove box ?.. put the dam sticker on the plate, really how hard is that, it takes less than 1 minute, now you got a $310 ticket and are talking about wasting a day of your time in court to fight it.......seriously

cause people in strathmore are WAAAAAAY more busier than people in lloyd
Old 01-24-2019, 03:09 PM

I forgot to put the sticker a couple of years ago and I was stopped and held on gunpoint as the cops thought it was a stolen vehicle. They verified registration and insurance and let me go with no fine. However, they told me they can confiscate and tow away the car as a car without a sticker is illegal on the streets.
$310 is ridiculously high. I would go and ask for reduction.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
There's a difference between not having the sticker on the plate and not renewing your plate. As Dean2 pointed out, the stickers wash off very easily, as does the paint on our AB plates.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:19 PM

take off your plate take it in the house warm it up and clean up install sticker wait 10 min install back on unit and you are good for one year
Old 01-24-2019, 03:19 PM

I find it frustrating that we even have to renew each year. What load if horse puck. Close to 200 a year for me and for what.... I mean really.... what. When you buy the car. Ok register it so they know it's yours. Sell it... deregister... nothing but a big machine for probably not much reward to the goobermint.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWCalgary View Post
I find it frustrating that we even have to renew each year. What load if horse puck. Close to 200 a year for me and for what.... I mean really.... what. When you buy the car. Ok register it so they know it's yours. Sell it... deregister... nothing but a big machine for probably not much reward to the goobermint.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

It's a road use tax, really nothing more than that.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:24 PM

My wife cleaned it and put the sticker on immediately. Apparently the officer also told my wife "dont try to fight it, i took a picture of your plate without the sticker".
Old 01-24-2019, 03:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
My wife cleaned it and put the sticker on immediately. Apparently the officer also told my wife "dont try to fight it, i took a picture of your plate without the sticker".
super-cop can verbally revoke the basic rights of citizen ?, what a clown, I would have him in court as many days as possible, just because he is a bully with authoritarian disease !

The judge will recognize that fault real quick ,,,
Old 01-24-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
super-cop can verbally revoke the basic rights of citizen ?, what a clown, I would have him in court as many days as possible, just because he is a bully with authoritarian disease !

The judge will recognize that fault real quick ,,,
I would too... he sounds a lot like the Sheriff who gave the guy the ticket for going 1km over the speed limit.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I would too... he sounds a lot like the Sheriff who gave the guy the ticket for going 1km over the speed limit.
Judges hate cops with little dick big stick syndrome,

And if the judge sense little dick syndrome from a traffic cop, the judge quite often gets great satisfaction belittling the super-cop in the courtroom
Old 01-24-2019, 03:46 PM

Im planning on going in with the misses next week to talk to them. Hopefully they are reasonable as we have learned the lesson of not putting the sticker on the car. I just think the fine is pretty excessive for the infraction (and details there of).

I remember many years ago i was driving 90 in a 60 zone and was pulled over by an officer who noticed i was well over the speed limit. He asked why I was going so fast and i said it was because the flames were playing and it was intermission, i had gone to get Chinese food for the family. He laughed, and told me to slow down.

That guy single handedly changed my outlook on law enforcement, and to this day i still tell people that story when they bash the police.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:00 PM

Not to derail but a lot of these cops have swollen heads and are on power trips. A couple months ago my wife was going for a run and was just getting out of her truck. A peace officer pulled up and asked for her license. She said she left it at home as she was just going for a 10k run. He issued her a $300 ticket for failing to produce her license.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:08 PM

follow the money

i bet 80% of the time that's what its about.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Not to derail but a lot of these cops have swollen heads and are on power trips. A couple months ago my wife was going for a run and was just getting out of her truck. A peace officer pulled up and asked for her license. She said she left it at home as she was just going for a 10k run. He issued her a $300 ticket for failing to produce her license.
Sounds guilty of failing to produce a license. And there most likely a set fine amount. What’s your issue?
Old 01-24-2019, 04:20 PM

My wife also got stopped several years back and didn't have her license on her. The problem I had with it is that I have told her repeatedly to carry it. Before then, and since then. Sometimes she does. Sometimes she doesn't. Still.

Drives me crazy. I paid the ticket too.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-24-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
$300.00 is a pretty cheap lesson on common sense. Just saying
Wow I wish I had 300$ extra that I could just give away to the government after I already spend 400$ renewing my 2 vehicles and quad for the year. 300$ is not chump change for some and certainly not appropriate since the plate tax was already paid in full earlier.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
take off your plate take it in the house warm it up and clean up install sticker wait 10 min install back on unit and you are good for one year
Excellent idea - when I renew my insurance and registration I take the plate off, clean it, and then install the new decal (tab). I also try to peel any of the old decals to make it more difficult to steal a current decal.

A police officer friend of mine mentioned that a "build up" of old decals makes it easier for a thief to peel them off the plate, and have a "current decal" that is undamaged. Hard to peel a single decal off a plate without damaging it.

In this particular case, I would agree that attending court and explaining what happened may result in either a reduction in the fine, or the ticket being withdrawn. After all the plate was registered. The fine given seems very excessive to me.

Mr Conservation
Old 01-24-2019, 05:15 PM

Just be glad it wasn't just parked on the street with the right sticker not updated. My son did that just before Easter. Parked it Thursday night and Friday got up and thought it was stolen. Called the police to report and was informed it was towed to impound lot for expired plate. Now you do the math as the days rolled by. Good Friday not open, not open. Saturday cause of Easter Sunday considered a holiday, not open. Sunday Easter obvious, not open and because Easter monday is considered a holiday also, not open. big time DOH. They finally let him in on Tuesday. Took the sticker out of glove box put it on and now they get to tow it out of the lot for a price of course. Thing is if they pull it out of the lot and put in the parking lot without a valid sticker on it and an officer is there they can ticket it again. You wanna talk about anal, it can happen. Boy learned a big time lesson and I'm sure they knew by towing at that time he would have to pay big bucks. Your $310 was nothing compared. Officer was being unreasonable to your wife. But sorry that is the law.
Closed Thread