Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 12:30 PM

Default RCMP Ticket Question

So the wife got pulled over over today while picking up the kiddo from school. Officer noticed her plate was out of date. She had the valid registration, insurance, and valid license plate sticker in the glove box of the vehicle and showed it to the officer. We just forgot to put the sticker on. She ended up getting a $310 ticket for expired plates, no demerits.

Is there a way i can get the fine reduced?
Old 01-24-2019, 12:36 PM

That sucks! This actually happened to my son not even two months ago, coming home, through a school zone doing the 30 kph, but Peace Officer pulled him over anyway. Expired plate, but my son had the registration renewal and sticker in glove box. The Peace officer helped him put it on in the right place and told him to put it on right away next year...no ticket.

I'd attend the court date if I were you Sunny. Yearly 'registration' is just a tax to begin with, and you were renewed....the oversight will probably be forgiven if you show up and talk nice. My two cents.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-24-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
So the wife got pulled over over today while picking up the kiddo from school. Officer noticed her plate was out of date. She had the valid registration, insurance, and valid license plate sticker in the glove box of the vehicle and showed it to the officer. We just forgot to put the sticker on. She ended up getting a $310 ticket for expired plates, no demerits.

Yeah I'd fight that for sure. You got a ***hole officer today. They don't determine if your car is registered based on the sticker, they go based on the actual plate.

Been pulled over with no license before, wasn't an issue cause they were able to find me and one time I had the wrong insurance card in the car and still wasn't an issue.

Also had a friend that got a ticket due to not being able to provide registration (but it was registered, papers were at home) when he went to court they just threw out the ticket.

But if you get a mean judge they might not throw it out, just reduce it.

Good luck
Old 01-24-2019, 12:41 PM

this just happened to me . I just paid it my fault
Old 01-24-2019, 12:45 PM

Yeah i was thinking i will go fight it. It didnt make much sense to me that the officer would give her the ticket when she had the sticker with her in the car. Oh well, i guess we will take a trip to Strathmore and see what kind of judge i get.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
Seems excessive though, no? 310 with the sticker in the car and proof that it has been registered all year.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:47 PM

Don’t pay, go see the justice of the peace at the courthouse. The address should be written on the ticket. This is a total BS charge and will be thrown away. Bring all the papers with you- insurance and registration.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:50 PM

I didn't like paying the ticket but at the end of the day its my truck and my responsibility I should have put it on the day I picked it up
Old 01-24-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Yeah i was thinking i will go fight it. It didnt make much sense to me that the officer would give her the ticket when she had the sticker with her in the car. Oh well, i guess we will take a trip to Strathmore and see what kind of judge i get.
I think your wife will need to be with you when you make the visit. That's probably what you intend to do anyway... posting this just in case.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:54 PM

I hope you fight it. The RCMP should be focused on public safety, not tax collection. Let us know how you make out.

Gerry Burnie
Old 01-24-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
I think your wife will need to be with you when you make the visit. That's probably what you intend to do anyway... posting this just in case.
I will have her with me. She's pretty upset, only her second ticket ever.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:59 PM

While it is written in law, that law was also written back when the police didn't have computers in their cars that can instantly verify whether or not your registration is valid. The officer knows this immediately upon running the plate for Pete's sake. But issuing a ticket proves he was doing something at work that day.....
Old 01-24-2019, 01:01 PM

Please don't take offence, but your lady was guilty of not having the registration sticker applied to the plate. It's simple, ya the canary leg could have given a warning, but they didn't.

Clogging up the courts contesting the ticket is a waste of every ones time. IMO
Old 01-24-2019, 01:03 PM

Be sure to throw out the expired registration, so you don't accidentally present it to an officer and receive another ticket. And while you are at it check your license, for any small marks or cracks.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Please don't take offence, but your lady was guilty of not having the registration sticker applied to the plate. It's simple, ya the canary leg could have given a warning, but they didn't.

When the officer decided to issue a ridiculous ticket, HE decided to clog up the courts.

I would go see the crown before your appearance and tell him what happened. Very likely he'll reduce it like crazy...
Old 01-24-2019, 01:08 PM

So I've never had to fight a ticket before.... the process is just go in and talk to a JP? She got the ticket today, so can i go in whenever, or closer to the date on the ticket?

Do i wear my matlock suit?
Old 01-24-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I will have her with me. She's pretty upset, only her second ticket ever.
go to the JP before the court date. will save you a ton of time.

and if your wife can "turn on the waterworks" while you're there, you will be on your way.

be very respectful explaining how you learned your lesson as you should be a much better example in front of your/other children, et. et. et.

and if you dont like the deal they give you, you can go to court at that time and try to work a deal with the prosecution, or plead your case in front of the judge. you will need to tell them that at that time. remember if you want to go to court, you may have to sign the ticket as not guilty before a certain date and they willl send you a court date(unless the ticket states a court date already)

the nice thing about the court thing is if the cop does not show up(which happens if they are sick or too busy or on vacation) you will get off. as the prosecution before the trial if their witness(cop) is/will be there.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:

I was thinking the same
Old 01-24-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
When the officer decided to issue a ridiculous ticket, HE decided to clog up the courts.

I would go see the crown before your appearance and tell him what happened. Very likely he'll reduce it like crazy...
he doesn't want that, or even to have to show up at court i bet.

he just wants money in to go to his "performance expectation goal" set out by his sarge.

but hey, they keep taxing us like that, our right to go to court. can you imagine how bad it would be if the expected court appearance for the cop wasn't there?

and by the way, there was talk from the alberta justice minister to do away the option of a court date for traffic infractions!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fargin.JPG (29.4 KB, 73 views)
Old 01-24-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:

What does the ticket say for the offense? Is it something like "failure to display validation tab" or is it for something like "expired registration"? I'm not up on how the Motor Transport Act is worded.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:

$310 is a pile for a BS offence. It may be chump change to you.....not everyone is in the same boat.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:35 PM

Fight it. The Cop was just being a Dick!! It is month end and he was probably short of his quota and if anyone tries to tell you there is no quota, they don't know what they are talking about.

You paid the registration fee, had the papers and sticker in the car and produced them. Should have been no issue.

Last edited by Dean2; 01-24-2019 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:42 PM

I think they will take into consideration how long the "sticker" was in the glove box.

If you just recently renewed your registration then you my be able to argue the weather or environmental conditions prevented you from putting it on as you feared it would not stick.

but..... if it's been there for a few months it may be more difficult to justify.

You could says you were too caught up in the success of the Flames and you forgot to put it on..... just don't try that one at the Edmonton court house.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:43 PM

$300.00 is a pretty cheap lesson on common sense. Just saying
Old 01-24-2019, 01:45 PM
Banned

Usually I'm on the side of 'man up and accept the consequences' when someone screws up.
But even I have to admit this is pretty lame.
About a year ago I was stopped because my registration had expired a few days before. I had the renewal in the glovebox, told the officer I had just forgot about it. Figured I deserved and would get a ticket. She made note of it, told me to get it renewed within 2 days and drop by a police station to prove I'd done so or a ticket would be issued in the mail.
This was Edmonton Police. I've always found city police are much more liable to cut you some slack than the RCMP.
I'd fight it...I can't imagine it not being thrown out.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
What does the ticket say for the offense? Is it something like "failure to display validation tab" or is it for something like "expired registration"? I'm not up on how the Motor Transport Act is worded.
It says “indecent expos”... sorry wrong ticket.

“Section 53(c) of the Traffic Safety ACT - Drive or park motor vehicle or trailer with expired license plate”

Then where it has all the information on the driver and vehicle, it says “plate year 2019”
Old 01-24-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
I think they will take into consideration how long the "sticker" was in the glove box.

If you just recently renewed your registration then you my be able to argue the weather or environmental conditions prevented you from putting it on as you feared it would not stick.

but..... if it's been there for a few months it may be more difficult to justify.

You could says you were too caught up in the success of the Flames and you forgot to put it on..... just don't try that one at the Edmonton court house.
It’s been in the glove box since last March/April. I had completely forgot about it. I never drive it or wash it or ever really look at it since I bought my new truck. In that time it’s driver about 3000km tops, and never been pulled over so we never even looked at the registration. I just know it was valid because I have never let it go expired.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:49 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
Yup, gotta follow the rules....I did it once....fella said put the sticker on and carry on....got lucky but was guilty.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-24-2019, 01:50 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Fight it. The Cop was just being a Dick!! It is month end and he was probably short of his quota and if anyone tries to tell you there is no quota, they don't know what they are talking about.

You paid the registration fee, had the papers and sticker in the car and produced them. Should have been no issue.
except the dam sticker was not on the plate

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-24-2019, 01:50 PM

The lady at the registry office said they could ticket you if the sticker is on the wrong side of the plate. Make sure you read the sticker instructions as some cop could be having a really bad day.