Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2019, 03:19 PM

Default Where to winter dry camp south of Calgary?

I'm familiar with the Ghost, Waiparous, Burnstick, Burnt Timber and highway 40 areas north west of Calgary but I'm looking for somewhere south west of Calgary to dry camp this weekend. I have a 22' trailer and would rather not pay to camp in a campground. I thought I would try highway 40 south but didn't realize it's closed until May/June. Can anyone recommend any spots no more than 2 hours south of Calgary I can pull off the road and enjoy the great outdoors?

Thanks, in advance.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:06 PM

I would go down highway 22 south of Longview just as you cross the Oldman river bridge head west through the gap and camp along the Racehorse flats.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
I would go down highway 22 south of Longview just as you cross the Oldman river bridge head west through the gap and camp along the Racehorse flats.
Thats where I was thinking as well. You can go farther back as well and take the Alison fish hatchery road (Thats what I call it anyhow) and get about 1/2 way to the pass. Last time I was there, there was a bridge washed out that made it ALMOST impossible to get through. I might add that little adventure cost us a few bucks with the damage we did to the truck.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:47 PM

The road into Racehorse Creek can be murderous with washboard in the summer. Probably better now though. Make sure your cupboards are secure among other things if you're pulling a trailer.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:

Thanks, this sounds promising. Is it township road 101 right after the Oldman river bridge or is the gap before that? How many km's down the road / through the gap? Is there work for my chainsaw around these parts?
Old 01-09-2019, 06:23 PM

heading south you turn right just after crossing the bridge. You will notice a large building on the south side that used to sell gas but I do not think it has sold gas for awhile.
I am not sure of the legal rules of using a chain saw but you probably need a permit but I can't tell you what to do.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:59 PM

Don’t know if it appeals to you but there’s S campground right in Longview.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:22 AM

If going south of Longview get a wind report before you go this winter seems bad for wind and flipping trailers. Wind is generally worst between Oldman river bridge and Lundbreck. Last week one holiday trailer and 4 semi trailers flipped by wind closer to Lundbreck
Top up your gas at Longview as that is the last place to get gas. Maybe bring extra gas. You can get gas at Longview, Lundbreck and over to Nanton.
The road to Coleman might be plowed or might be drifted in.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:41 AM

There used to be some nice crown land camping spots in the Porcupine Hills, but I'm not sure what the status of that area is now. Might be worth checking out further for you OP.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:55 AM

There is also camping at chain lakes but it is pay and I do not think you can have camp fires.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
There is also camping at chain lakes but it is pay and I do not think you can have camp fires.
There's a community firepit there.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
The road into Racehorse Creek can be murderous with washboard in the summer. Probably better now though. Make sure your cupboards are secure among other things if you're pulling a trailer.
x2

Microwave door opened and glass plate smashed all over the trailer and also slowly brought down one of my jacks on the back....

Absolutely the worst road I have ever travelled on
Old 01-24-2019, 11:30 AM

Default Winter camping

Picture Butte has a excellant camp ground, with several pull through camp sites, firpit.Several lakes in the area if you like to cross country ski. Good Icefishing with day trips.Just a few meters from a lake full of pike.Sheltered from the wind. Stay clear of the Pincher Creek area,and the back roads and high wind,and the possibility of getting caught in a snow storm, and blocked in.On the honour system for $10.00 per night.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:46 PM

indian graves