Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-10-2013, 09:24 PM

Default duck/goose decoys

Looking at starting my own collection of decoys for field hunting looking for tips on what brand or kinf of duck and goose decoys are the best bang for my buck as well as how many decoys duck and goose I need for a good spread. And how do you guys feel about mojo's ?
Old 12-11-2013, 08:21 AM

this is going to be yer cheapest and best route
decoys and blinds are very expensive
split the cost with a friend or hunting partner
this is in the hunting items for sale
on this forum

Huntingonthebrain

Entire Goose hunting package!!
I am getting out of goose hunting. I have a complete setup, great for anyone that wants to give it a try. I would like to sell as a complete package! Just in time for Christmas!!

LOCATED IN LETHBRIDGE - pickup only

$1500...I'm not in any hurry to sell and I won't respond to any low offers. No trades.

All Items are gently used and in great shape. Used only for 1.5 seasons!

1 - Remington Express 12 Gauge 3" pump black synthetic shotgun (must have PAL)
6 - Big Foot- full body goose
6 - Tanglefree flocked heads full body goose
12 - Goose shells w/flocked heads and stands
12 - Duck decoys-floaters
2 - High quality goose decoy Bags
2 - Mesh bags (shell decoys /ducks)
1 - Blind bag- camo- high quality
1 - Goose flag
1 - Final approach coffin blind
1 - Call lanyard

PM me if serious and I can send pics or come by and have a look

Last edited by u_cant_rope_the_wind; 12-11-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:24 AM

In my honest opinion you get what you pay for in this aspect of hunting. The better/bigger your spread the more birds your gonna get coming in. For brand names I really like the big foots but I have used everything and they all work good if set up correctly. Mojos are great if your hunting ducks and only ducks, I find that if your trying to get those honkers in the mojos will make them flare more often than not. A good call seems to help to. I like the zinks
Old 12-11-2013, 08:28 AM

For field hunting you really only need goose decoys as ducks will work good to them. Mojos work awesome on ducks but flare geese like crazy. If you can find used Canada goose shells of any kind I'd start with those but if not any time you see decoys on sale just buy what you can. Shells can work just as good as full bodies if you put them on stakes and if you really want flocked decoys they are pretty easy to do yourself. If it's just you going out you can get away with as little as a couple dozen decoys or less as long as your hidden well. The more people hunting the more decoys you need to hide
Old 12-11-2013, 08:41 AM

I just started duck hunting again so I am on the rookie side.

I do find mojo's help with ducks but you can save a few $ by buying the mojo teal or baby mojo. We seem to get the same results using the smaller mojo's over the full size. I do see a difference from back when I hunted without them as a kid.

I bought some cheap decoys from Canadian tire and yes I save a few $ but the paint is all ready chipping. From what I have seen it is worth spending some extra money for better quality.

We only use 2 dozen duck decoys and 2 mojo's and it seems to work well.

The guy I hunt with is a good caller. I can notice a huge difference if I am attempting to call. From hunting with a good caller this is a skill that is very valuable. Definitely find a good call and practice
Old 12-11-2013, 09:29 AM

Smile Calling and home made

When I was a rookie and knew NOTHING! My buddy and I made a pile of silhouettes, you don't see them anymore but as has been said with enough of them they still work.

I didn't know how to call either but was helped by an expert, he suggested a Faulk's Honker 100, there may be better ones now but it worked very well.

I practiced in the park in the spring calling the geese (no guns of course) when the fall came, I could get singles to come right in, and if there was more than one caller could get small flocks to come back.

It was a wonderful experience.

The rub with the full body decoys (they work great) is getting everything set up before first light.

You'll love it.

Last edited by densa44; 12-11-2013 at 09:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-11-2013, 10:13 AM

I Run 5 1/2 dozen big foots the original and the B2s mixed and 2 mojos on remotes planning on adding 4 more mojos for next year I woundnt have mojos with out the remotes once the geese start moving just shut them down from the blind
Old 12-11-2013, 12:23 PM

Silos take the least amount of space. Haven't used them enough to judge whether an all silo spread is consistent or not. Price is not bad. If you have the patience, you can make your own.
Shells don't take a huge amount of space, and work well, and can be had cheaper than the bulk of the stuff out there. If you want, you can flock them yourself.
Full bodies look nice, but, are expensive, and take a lot of space. And don't really work any better than shells in my experience.
A minimum of 3 doz goose dekes per person seems to work well.
A dozen duck dekes will do the job on a field hunt with geese.
Found that Avery blinds seem to be the easiest to put up and take down. I use a Ground Force, of what I have tried so far, I'd buy that again.
If you get a Mojo, or Lucky Duck, get the remote control version. You need to be able to shut it down, or start it up, without getting out of the blind, quite often. Get a decent pole built for it. The ones they ship with them are kinda krappy.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:12 PM

You can do a lot with a dozen floating duck decoys.

As for field geese, I started with shells (cheaper), and have been adding some full-bodies over time. Maybe have 40 decoys now. Yes, some guys have hundreds in a trailer and do very well. I'll just never invest that much $$$. But I had geese coming into my first 24 shell spreads. It's a start.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
You can do a lot with a dozen floating duck decoys.

As for field geese, I started with shells (cheaper), and have been adding some full-bodies over time. Maybe have 40 decoys now. Yes, some guys have hundreds in a trailer and do very well. I'll just never invest that much $$$. But I had geese coming into my first 24 shell spreads. It's a start.
And if you decided to only ever use 24 shells, you'd kill geese from September 1st to the end of the season.

In many ways a small spread is superior at most times of the year, and if you don't have the luxury of a good dog, will often ensure dead birds die closer to your blinds.

It will ALWAYS come down to being on the 'X'. I was out with just my dog in the middle of October this past fall and was too lazy to set out our 150 decoys as I kind of just happened upon a shoot on the neighbors property. I set out 12 and had my limit of ducks and geese in 35 minutes during an evening shoot. This happens routinely each season.

As far as brands and types.....start yourself off with a dozen shells of basic quality, and get yourself some filler silos....and if youre bored all winter and summer find yourself some scrap 3/8 plywood and cut your own silos. Save the full bodies for when you have a spread of 50 or so basic dekes.

If you are beyond proficient at locating birds, calling, flagging, have a pile of cheapo joe dekes, a great dog paid for and trained up, and youve spent hours practising your wingshooting with hundreds of boxes of shells, then sure.....spend some money on full bodies. In my opinion, should be last on the list though.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Banned

I have used a bit of everything over the past 40 years or so, and use silos (Big Al's and RG II.) almost exclusively now. I do have a dozen shells (movers) that I will put out once and a while, but never used them once last year. Silos are easy setup, storage and they work well. I have 8 dozen but usually run about 4-5 dozen, depending on time of year.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:34 PM

Thanks for the input really cleared things up
Old 12-11-2013, 11:55 PM

For durability, price and a decent looking decoy........HIGDON
GHG are also great looking decoys and not priced bad, but you have to baby them abit......
http://www.higdondecoys.com/searchresults.asp?cat=1838
http://www.prairiewinddecoys.com/p/5...avery-outdoors

Tags
decoy setup, decoys, ducks, goose