Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Default Authorization To Carry

Has anybody here tried to get this yet?
Old 04-05-2012, 07:55 PM

CGN is the place to ask about it. there are a few guys on there that have it.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Administrator

I'm just curious if any Alberta trappers have taken advantage of their ability to get the ATC. I'm thinking about getting it myself.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:10 PM

they are from bc and alberta
Old 04-06-2012, 07:03 AM
Banned

I had the ATC for protection. The first time you get it for one year, then renewal is two years at a time after that. The application form comes from the CFO then you fill it out, take the course of fire. It use to be that any range officer could give the course of fire and fill out the required additional documentation. Then all the documentation is sent in and bingo you get your permit.

It was really cool for a while packing the .44 mag around but the novelty wore off and I got thinking about hitting a bear etc. in the right place with not too much practice during the year and opted to let the permit lapse this year. I carry my 870 Wingmaster with a short slug barrel loaded with 3 slugs and actually it is just as easy as carrying the .44 boat anchor...LOL...for the dispatch authorization I didn't even apply. I carry a single shot .22 Henry that fits in the quad box or to just carry weighs next to nothing.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:03 PM

i know a few guys that have it for dispatch.. you have to jump through a few hoops but with the new line you should have no problems..you will have to do a proficancey test..to get it for protection is a bit harder though i hear.
good luck
rob
Old 04-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Yah, I'm aware of the proficiency test and what's required. I'm just pondering the idea. Would it be easier with a sidearm as opposed to packing a rifle? How about carrying for protection and carrying for dispatch, two guns? One in a holster would be a lot easier methinks.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Banned

Have had both for the last 6 - 8years...
Old 04-07-2012, 10:50 AM

I have one for dispatch, few hoops to jump but it is handy to have.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Doug, your ATC must be for protection then if you got it before the minister sent out the letter? Too me, it would make more sense to carry for protection than dispatch. However, the way I read the ATC application form, as a trapper you can only apply for dispatch with the largest calibre being "rimfire", the way it is written. You can apply for an ATC for protection, but it looks to me like it has to be done through a company that you work for. Am I missing something here?
Old 04-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miskosky View Post
Doug, your ATC must be for protection then if you got it before the minister sent out the letter? Too me, it would make more sense to carry for protection than dispatch. However, the way I read the ATC application form, as a trapper you can only apply for dispatch with the largest calibre being "rimfire", the way it is written. You can apply for an ATC for protection, but it looks to me like it has to be done through a company that you work for. Am I missing something here?

There are ATC's that cover Security Personnel, animal damage control people etc. that require a Company application but the one for the RFMA just requires the RFMA number and can definately be done personally.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Banned

Yes Rob, ODM is right about the security aspect and company involvement. If one was doing ADC and it was your own company, then I don't know what one would have to go thru, prob. not that much more than the rest it
As far as the dispatch ATC, yes, only rimfire is permitted, anything larger would cause to much fur damage and rightfully so..and really, any critter can be dispatched with a RF at close range
I did my .44 ATC after 2 encounters with blackies during the spring beaver season, when they got between myself and my quad. The last time it happened, he was more hungry than I was fearless so I had to depart , not the way I came but across the other side of the dam. After I looped back to my quad and rifle, I found the beaver, I was picking, and my 330 both gone.
And so basically, I carry my rimfire after the bear are gone and in the winter, when I've got snares, etc. out. I have both cylinders for my Ruger Single 6, the 22 and 22 mag.
To date the cats have not been a problem in the cold of winter. Should they show their presence in MY tracks, I may be persuaded to carry the 44 at that time.
FYI...only one can be carried at a time.... I was hoping I would carry a bandelero over each shoulder of asssorted calibres, maybe after Danny gets elected.......
Old 04-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
I was hoping I would carry a bandelero over each shoulder of asssorted calibres, maybe after Danny gets elected.......
You'd certainly get some looks running your line. "Home of the Mad Trapper" signs would be appropriate.

Thanks for the info Doug.