Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-26-2012, 01:10 PM

Default Beaver fever

How many members have had Giardia? What was the cure? How long did it last? Did you survive?
The reason I ask is, for a couple of weeks I had stomach cramps and diarhea that can only be described as explosive. Then a couple weeks of cramps and was very tired, and then I felt great for 6 or 7 days. Now I have the cramps again. The tests have been negative but from what I've read it's exactly like Giardia. The cure would not be harmful if I didn't have it but I'm not fond of pills. Any advice?
Doug
Old 03-26-2012, 01:36 PM

Take a look at your diet, and maybe what you've been drinking too. A certain towns water used to give me the ****s. All else fails, just take the pills, man.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Banned

There are all sorts of things that can cause your symptoms.

If you were tested...and it was negative...I'd say it is something else.

No see your doctor again.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:56 PM

I have had Giardia, I just went through it as my doctor told me most giardia infections run their course after a month. Great weight loss program lol.
Keep drinking fluids with electrolytes in them. If it lasts more than 6 weeks you may need antibiotics.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:54 PM

if it persistent you should see a doc,similar symptoms to chrones or colitis.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:43 PM

Thanks for the advice. I've seen the doc 3 times, Giardia can come and go and come back etc. etc. He listened to my belly and said there's definately something happening there that concerns him. I started the pills tonight, will wait a couple weeks and if it persists the doc will book a colonoscopy.
Doug
Old 03-26-2012, 08:17 PM

I had it about twenty years ago. Never experienced anything like it before or since. I believe the Doc prescribed Flagil. They were pill form. Iwas better in about 24 hrs. It is a very effective way to lose weight, but I wouldn't recommend it!
Old 03-27-2012, 12:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugh View Post
Thanks for the advice. I've seen the doc 3 times, Giardia can come and go and come back etc. etc. He listened to my belly and said there's definately something happening there that concerns him. I started the pills tonight, will wait a couple weeks and if it persists the doc will book a colonoscopy.
Doug
Oh...that will be fun...
If they are going deep...to the splenic flexure TAKE THE PRE-OP MEDS....feels like they've stuffed a angry barn cat in there....

Oh and they will fill you with air.... It is VERY important you DON"T "break a seal" especially if you might end up trapped on an elevator with someone that reminds you of your granny....just saying...

Good Luck!
Old 03-27-2012, 12:57 PM

Thanks pesky, I feel a lot better after reading your post.
Doug
Old 04-07-2012, 04:00 PM

I had the sh@#'s for 2 weeks once. Could not drive ten minutes to work wothout stopping at a store to do the nasty. I contracted something from a day of tubing at Wabumum. Something got in my digestive tract. Doctor was useless, gave me nothing. I lost 10 pounds, and finally one day it went away. Drink some purified water for awhile, and eat some violent hot wings. Cured me. Don't know why.