Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-10-2009, 04:40 PM

Default It's go time

Well I haven't been a ball of fire getting out of the gate trapping wise, but that's about to change. Between low prices and goofy fall weather I've been mostly hunting instead of trapping. Lots of snow and lovely cold weather so it's time to roll. I'm seeing decent marten sign and more lynx than the last few years. I have a pretty good cat line so I'm going to see how I make out with them.

I'll keep you posted and show some pics.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:56 PM

Good luck, cant wait to see the pics?.......any chance you can try to take before and after pics of your sets?....that kindda stuff is always neat to look at. Just dont freeze your fingers off satisfying this request!!!.....
Old 12-11-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
Good luck, cant wait to see the pics?.......any chance you can try to take before and after pics of your sets?....that kindda stuff is always neat to look at. Just dont freeze your fingers off satisfying this request!!!.....
X2, not a trapper but always like seeing pictures of trap sets
Old 12-12-2009, 12:17 PM

No problem. I always have a camera with me.

I trapped for over 10 years as a young man and almost never packed a camera, what I'd give today to have some pictures from that time. Digital Cameras are cheap so no excuses these days.

I'll be putting out some footholds (#3 softcatches) and snares for the lynx. -30 today so the creeks and snow will be setting up good. Bought a new 550 tundra that looks like a good machine so I'm anxious to give it a go.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:39 PM

what kind of critters on your line besides lynx and marten?.......do you trap wolves?
Old 12-12-2009, 03:50 PM

Thumbs up

Well there is enough snow now Brian for your new sled good luck all. I get my days off after tomorrow and I will be out on the sledmaking long line.So far I got some martin and lynx sets out on the road excess of my line but nothing too serious.Now there is some badly needed snow we will giver.Gonna make wolf baits this set off too, but I usually wait till the hunters are all done chasing the elk around.There are more cow elk hunters this year then there are cow elk it seems. Have fun and keep it safe out there fellas.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:28 PM

Good luck Brian!! I'll stop in one of these days if work ever allows it. We have done some more trail clearing and got into some new area. 40 miles in 2 days - have the 550 Tundra too and love it. Is yours the 2010 ? 71 martin sets out - just one so far but lots of sign. Have some more trail to get set on so should be close to 90 when we are done. New sign in places we have never seen sign before - nothing has changed as far as habitat/industry goes. Some fisher sign - more than usual as well. Carrie seen one from the sled last time out - I was gawking in the bush and missed it as it crossed the trail. Was about 30 yds from one of our sets so should be hanging when we go back this weekend. NO weasel sign at all - same as last year. Won't put out any sets this year unless we find some decent sign. Posted pic of a weasel set - works well. I brush it in so it is hidden. Some squirrels and have a few poles up. Coyotes as usual and some wolf sign - heard them howling one night a few weeks ago. Get a bait going after Christmas - make sure the grizzlies are sleeping. Haven't seen any lynx/cougar tracks yet but will see next weekend - with work and the COLD haven't been down for a couple of weeks. Itching to see what is going on.
Posted a martin set with the setup Brian showed me - platic boxes. Leave them out year round - had bears wreck a couple this year but for the most part they work great. Have chged all of the sets to horizontal poles so you have hanging catches to keep them away from mice etc and they are way faster to set I find. Use beaver meat for bait and Martin Magic as a lure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Captured 2007-12-9 00002.JPG (48.8 KB, 468 views)
File Type: jpg Dec 17 marten.jpg (46.8 KB, 444 views)
File Type: jpg weasel article 1.JPG (46.9 KB, 427 views)
Old 12-14-2009, 08:41 AM

Minus 38 in Whitecourt this morning. I have 45 marten sets and 10 lynx sets out plus a few otter and weasel sets. In this cold I'm not expecting too much as the critters should be curled up conserving heat. I'll check on Wednesday and rescent some marten sets. Things have been slow with only 2 marten, 2 weasel, 1 Fisher, 1 Lynx, 1 Coyote. I can not find my marten so far this year, with the logging going on they may have been pushed out of the area. Threw 2 roadkill deer out for wolf bait on Friday but wolf tracks are scarce and I haven't figured them out yet this year so I dropped the bait same place as last year. Time will tell.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:47 PM

Got some lynx snares out and built cubby sets for footholds and footsnares for when I return. I'm going to go hard for last week of December and all of Feb. Also put out some step up sets for lynx using a block of wood and footholds. Any of you guys try this set out?
Old 12-23-2009, 08:06 AM

A block of wood and footholds?? please explain and or show pictures. Do tell!
Old 12-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Banned

with some bait hung on a tree above a short stump, and generally a leghold trap setting on the stump, when he steps up to take the bait, you got yourself a kitty. It's just that easy -- as long as you are by to check this trap within the time period for legholds..
Old 12-23-2009, 08:34 PM

We seen old lynx tracks in two different parts of the line this past weekend. Never seen them in those areas before. Edges of older cutblocks -- good hunting areas. Followed a fresh cougar track for quite a ways down one of our trails. Got 3 martin, 1 weasel (in martin set)and 1 squirrel. Not much for tracks - nothing like 3 weeks ago. COLD weather likely slowed everything down.
Lynx track pics show like a "V" = he walked down to trail and then turned and went back. Other pic is of cougar tracks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tline dec 20 09 026.jpg (22.2 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg tline dec 20 09 011.jpg (31.7 KB, 309 views)
Old 12-24-2009, 08:26 AM

Good luck on your lines gentlemen. I love hearing the updates. Sure makes me miss winter on the farm as kid. Hopefully we'll get some snares out this weekend.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:57 PM

My wife snared our first coyote today! We both got our licenses this year but don't have a line so we are resident trappers this winter.
Good luck, stay warm and Merry Christmas all.
Doug
Old 01-04-2010, 05:11 PM

Cold? What do you mean Brent it's only -30! Seems like we always get a cold spell this time of year.

The basic step up is as Doug described and I do have some pics I'll download later. You can add a few options though. On the backside of the tree you can hang two snares right tight to the tree trunk 9" or 8" loop at 11" high to bottom of loop. Take an ax and make a horizontal slash at about 48" high and rub some good lynx lure in it. Sometimes those cats ignore the bait but circle around back to check out the castor.

I've got good lynx sign so far and just returned from putting out cat sets. I pinched a cougar a couple days ago in a #3 softcatch but he pulled loose.

Contrary to Brent's line I'm seeing lost of weasels on the mountain line but like him few at the Kakwa. No marten on lower end but heading to high country this week. January is all about trapping so here's hoping weather moderates, prices rise, and the traps are all full!

Way to go on that first christmas coyote Dugh.

Last edited by Brian Bildson; 01-04-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:35 PM

Good luck this month Brian and the rest of ya. I hear from a couple guys the trapping has been slow so far.

You gonna make it back to the upper Sheep where we rode last fall Brian?

I miss my line!
Old 01-06-2010, 04:20 PM

Hey Guys,
I am looking to buy a really good Martin that you have caught and is still whole and froze.I would like to mount one and would be interested in a good size lynx but preferably a good martin or two.You can reply to me here or e-mail me at swtaxidermy@hotmail.com.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2010, 07:14 PM

Smile Good start

Went out this weekend to set up our lynx sets. Lots of lynx tracks and otters have been around every creek and small lake. Pick up one large male fisher and set for more of those critters. Not much snow so sledding is really rough. Hoping next week end is a bit more productive, but you cant have anymore fun then this weekend.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
Got some lynx snares out and built cubby sets for footholds and footsnares for when I return. I'm going to go hard for last week of December and all of Feb. Also put out some step up sets for lynx using a block of wood and footholds. Any of you guys try this set out?
Hey Brian how did you make out with this set up?
Old 03-31-2012, 04:53 AM

nice. ready for some pics
Old 04-01-2012, 09:52 AM

That is an old post but set didn't produce but I only put two out so not a fair trial. Apparently works for others so worth a try
Old 04-01-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
That is an old post but set didn't produce but I only put two out so not a fair trial. Apparently works for others so worth a try
Thanks Brian.