Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-20-2018, 08:25 PM

Default FP’s 2018 Deer Trip

I owe a lot to AO, having followed with much interest to posts over the last several years, and sometimes contributing.

The two best things about AO are the stories and the passing on of knowledge. Without knowledge gleaned from AO I would never have pulled 40” pike out of the water from a canoe on a -25 deg day in the February fog of Lake Wabamun in 2009. I would never have picked up reloading in 2013, and I may never have gotten hooked on sheep hunting in 2013 had it not been for the stories that I eagerly read on this forum. Actually, credit for getting hooked on sheep hunting has more to do with my hunting partners than AO. (Ps: I have yet to shoot a ram!)

So thank you to the big (often dysfunctional) family that is AO. On your best days you offer excellent reading and credible knowledge, and on your worst you still offer entertainment.

In the spirit of storytelling, I would like to share (online that is...) a 4 day late-November deer hunt with you, for those who like stories. The hunt hasn’t happened yet, and is set to start in a couple days. Rain or shine, tags filled or not, highs and lows, I will strive to post each day after the hunt as we lick our wounds and prepare for the next day.

So if you’re keen to follow, tune in each night for the next few days. I’ll do my best to provide stories and pics.

To set the stage, I grew up in central Alberta, and despite now living in the mountains, I long for an annual trip out east to chase deer. Having 2 young kids (age 3 and 2) at home, and a busy work life means that this is the only deer hunting that I will do this year.

I should stop my lying ways right there: I did lead a half day deer hunting trip earlier this month. I took my twin brother (who will henceforth go by the stage name Skittles) and my wife’s cousin (aka 7mm) and their own boys (aged 6 and 9 respectively).

Aside: I will be known as “FP” for this thread, hailing to my nickname of Fancy Pants due to my impeccable taste in hunting pants. Lol

In tow was my eldest boy, age 3. Literally had a blast hiking up and down the river hills and sipping hot chocolate in a heated blind with those three rascals.

Despite the lack of success in the conventional sense, the boys were engaged (and having a noisy good time!) for the entire afternoon and evening. Probably the most fulfilling 5 hours of my year so far.

Enough with the sappy stuff. More hunt details and gear pics tomorrow... then hunt begins on Thursday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2018, 09:36 PM

Good times like that remember well

Old 11-20-2018, 11:20 PM

This is amazing I’m sure I frustrated my
Fathers hunts when I was a wee one but the time we spent together meant more than anything . Great job introducing them to hunting and the outdoors !!

Old 11-21-2018, 12:02 AM

Look forward to tomorrow’s post
Old 11-21-2018, 09:13 AM

Love it! Looking forward to seeing what happens and good luck!
Old 11-21-2018, 10:49 AM

Let’s continue with some detes for this hunt:

The crew:
Myself. “Fancy Pants”
Twin brother. “Skittles”
Father in law. “One Shot Howie”
Wife’s Cousin. “7mm”

The area:
Wouldn’t you like to know, lol

The Tags:
All have General whitetail.
‘Ol One Shot drew mulie buck and 7mm is sporting a mulie doe draw. Pretty simple stuff but it is exciting to have a variety of tags.

Hunter experience:
I’ve been hunting all my life, as has Skittles to a lesser degree. I got One Shot into hunting the year that I asked him for his blessing to marry his wonderful daughter. We were actually hunting when I asked him. He’s no longer a greenhorn but still has to gut his first deer (I’ve spoiled him by doing that portion of the job myself). 7mm is the newest hunter, and will be returning this year for his 2nd season of hunting with us. So a nice broad range of experience.

The style:
Spot and stalk (my favorite), rattling/grunting, and lots of just plain old hiking.

The terrain:
Undulating hill country with a mixture of aspen forest, grassland, and some agricultural. Long sight lines typical of east and southern Alberta.

The gear:
Here are some pics of my kit.

Backpacks if quartering is needed.

Ammo and stuff.

Deer drags, first aid.

Optics and shooting sticks. Calls and rattles.

Rifle, boots and blind. Don’t really plan on using blind unless it’s horrendously cold and windy.

Hunt starts tomorrow morning. Can’t wait!

Old 11-22-2018, 09:29 PM

Day 1:

Woke up at an ungodly hour and put on some miles. Just One Shot and I, as the rest of the gang is joining later.

Arrived at our spot 1hr before legal. In the moonlight started spotting animals right away.

One Shot found a big group of mulies with a mature 4x4 tending does. Beautiful buck.
He pushed the does toward us, from about 1000yds to 600yds. Wind was all wrong, and once they hit our scent the does took off.

Spent the next hour sifting through lots of smaller mule bucks to try to find another mature deer but to no avail.

As the warm weather started to soften the snow and make the walking quieter, we made a plan to circle around where we had seen the mature mulie disappear with the does. Bumped several groups of mulies and whitetail, and eventually caught up to he large group of does, but buck somehow disappeared.

A bit dejected, we headed back toward the truck. One Shot jumped a few deer and passed on a small whitetail buck at close range.

After meeting 7mm for a quick tailgate bbq, we headed out to rattle and sit for whitetail in the afternoon and evening. The evening sit produced no deer, but the sunset was unbelievable.

Feeling pretty lucky to be able to enjoy the outdoors with friends and family. Hopefully some success tomorrow!

Old 11-23-2018, 10:06 PM

Day 2:

After lots of deer but no good chances yesterday, One Shot and gang were looking for some retribution. He and 7mm sat overlooking a crop field and pasture, while I set up a couple miles further east in some hills.

The morning started the same as yesterday’s, with lots of mulies. I saw a tall and wide buck far north, and later on this buck chasing from one group of does to another.

I even got to see him chase off a few smaller fork horn bucks.

As dawn turned to day, the buck disappeared into the poplars of a slough bottom, and the early morning movement of animals began to slow.

Hearing from One Shot that they hadn’t seen any good bucks, they were pumped up at the suggestion of making a stalk on the buck that appeared to have bedded a few hundred yards from me in a slough bottom. I suggested they hike over and position themselves on the hilltop above where I’d last seen the buck.

It took them over an hour to cover the 2 miles, and they crawled the last hundred yards to get into position with good views into the slough bottom. After a few minutes of searching, it was obvious that they couldn’t see where the buck had bedded (as a matter of fact, although I know he was somewhere in the trees, I didn’t know exactly where he was either).

So I decided that pushing the deer would be our best bet. I did a wide circle to the south of the slough bottom, in hopes of driving the deer north towards One Shot’s happy trigger finger.

It doesn’t often happen that a plan works to perfection. This time luck was on our side: some does busted northward, and picked up the confused buck as they bounced past him. Two cracks from One Shot’s 30.06 and the deer was done (as was One Shot’s streak and nickname!). Elation all around for our gang, and high fives and hugs for One Shot’s second buck and biggest. Nothing spectacular but a solid deer nonetheless.

The pride beamed from under his handle bar moustache.

After gutting and dragging the buck back to the truck, we cut up some heart to grill with some smokies for a quick field lunch.

The afternoon yielded many more mulies, but our remaining tags are now whitetail only. I dialed into a yearling whitetail buck in the fading light at 420yds, but held out in hopes that two more days of hunting reward me with a mature deer.

Happy hunting all!

Old 11-23-2018, 10:18 PM

Fantastic thread. Congrats!!
Old 11-24-2018, 09:55 AM
Banned

Old 11-24-2018, 08:43 PM

Day 3:

The fog blew in from the North overnight, with visibility reduced to 400yds made it tough to spot deer first thing in the morning.

Skittles (my brother, who has joined for the last 2 days) passed on a two year old whitetail buck I the late morning. The chill of the wind and high humidity made the morning sit a real battle. Those that persevered were rewarded with no further whitetail sightings, just a pile of small to medium mule bucks chasing does. At least there was lots of entertainment.

The midday was spent hiking the hills only to turn up, you guessed it, more mulies.

For the evening I went back to an Ag field bordering prairie with lots of patches of poplars and brush. A good whitetail spot. I got set up with great views on all sides, and hunkered down for a 3 hour sit until dark. 7mm was positioned on the other side of the quarter.

Unfortunately the sit produced more trucks and UTV sightings than deer as they buzzed the field looking for deer. I did see what looked like a mature whitetail buck running Mach chicken across a field in the next quarter over. That was it.

Meanwhile, One Shot and Skittles spotted a handful of mule deer but only a single whitetail doe during their sit. Such is hunting.

One Shot and 7mm have now concluded their hunt and gone back home, so it rests on Skittles and I to find the elusive whitetail tomorrow, the final day of our hunt.

Fingers crossed!

Old 11-25-2018, 10:49 PM

I’m too tired to put something together tonight. Stay tuned for the full write up and pics of the last day and the thrilling conclusion to the hunt.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:48 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-27-2018, 02:11 PM

Day 4:

Fog.....

The fog from day 3 was back. With 7mm and One Shot back home for Grey Cup, only Skittles and I were left to give it one big effort. We set up an hour before legal light: I sat over the slough bottom where One Shot has taken his mule buck two days previous and Skittles over an Ag field.

I settled into the patient wait while staying alert enough to pick up movement. Visibility was reduced to 250yds, really limiting the deer sightings. Two small mule bucks around 8am, then a whitetail doe and fawn an hour later. My heart jumped in my throat when I saw the whitetails, hoping that a rut-crazy buck may be following. No such luck. As I watched them disappear into the mist, I began to come to terms with the likelihood of another year with an unfilled whitetail tag.

As I walked slowly back to the truck around noon, I felt happy and thankful for another great trip amongst friends and family, and of the amazing places and emotions we get to enjoy through hunting. I hopped into the truck and drove to pick up Skittles. We ate lunch in the truck as we slowly drove down the gravel road toward a shooting range. We had decided to kill an hour in the midday by confirming our zero before heading out for one last kick at the can that afternoon.

I had hoped to bang a gong at 500yds, but since visibility (read: FOG) was only a hair over 100yds, we put up some paper and each took a couple shots. All was still good to go, as it had been when I last zeroed the rifles in October.

We piled back into the truck to head back to the hunting area. Hiking was out of the question since the crunchy snow gave away our presence much sooner than we would be able to even see a deer in the mist.

Again, I sat over a slough with heavy deer trails on all sides. Skittles settled on a hillside about 1000yds to my South. We occasionally checked in on each other by text message. Skittles was seeing mule does. I picked up movement a couple of times which my spotting scope confirmed to be mule bucks.

With 15min left in legal light, I packed my gear up, with hands shaking from the cold. I walked slowly down the hill to get a better look into the patch of aspens at the bottom. Nothing.

Because I was pretty cold, and still had about 10min left until dark, I decided to jog up the big hill so that I could warm up before getting back up to the truck. I was nearly out of breath as I topped out on the big hill. Taking a quick look to scan the plateau in front of me my heart jumped. A deer was walking away from me in the fog about 150yds ahead. I could tell from its gait that it was a whitetail, and a look with my binos confirmed a medium frame with a good number of points.

Because the buck was within a few steps of walking right out of sight, I decided that I couldn’t pass this gift of an opportunity. I threw my rifle to my shoulder and flicked off the safety. I then gave the deer (which was walking straight away) a loud enough “MAAA” to get it to stop and turn toward me, exposing his right flank.

I love those moments in hunting when everything happens automatically. I don’t remember squeezing the trigger, but it must have happened because within 2 seconds of the “MAAA” my Kimber sent 150 grains copper and lead traveling at 2989fps at the buck’s chest. A load “whap” confirmed a hit.

The buck took off running like his tail was on fire, with no obvious signs of injury. After two leaps he disappeared over the hill and out of sight.

My first instinct was that the shot released a bit far back. Knowing that light was running out, I quickly pulled out flagging tape to mark the position from which I fired.

Skittles, who was also nearing the truck as I shot at the buck and had jumped with surprise at the shot, came running over to me. I gave him a quick run down of the situation and we walked to the last seen point. Headlamps on, as legal light was now done, we searched on hands and knees for blood.

I was elated to find light colored and frothy lung blood spattered on the snow. Not lots, but much better than dark and livery blood.

The going was slow, but within a couple minutes was had gone 15yds, to the point where the plateau turned to downhill. About 20yds straight down the fall line of the hill was a big patch of buck brush. With all the frost covering the wolf willow from the past two days of fog, a 2m-wide swath of frostless brush stood out conspicuously.

I signaled Skittles to jump forward and check out the brush, as I continued step by step to trail the blood. A minute later he hollered up to me “deer down!”.

After 4 days of hard hunting, we were overjoyed to have this 11th hour success. After big hugs and high fives, I took a moment to give thanks to the deer. What a feeling!

Pulled the buck to the truck and cleaned him up after taking some pictures. A nice young 5x4, probably aged 3 1/2 years old. By no means my best buck, but definitely one I will never forget.

Thanks for reading!

Old 11-27-2018, 02:33 PM

Another great write up and collage of pics. Congrats.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:40 PM

Thanks for such an awesome story and pics! What a great way to document the season.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:27 PM

Great story /read!