Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-19-2018, 12:15 PM

And congrats on a beauty first mule!
Old 11-19-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

I tried to ignore and not respond to this comment, not wanting to give it more exposure. However, expressing these type of opinions need to be quelled at times.

Bringing up what you think this deer "needed" is simply unneeded in this discussion, especially when discussing a young hunter's kill.

The hunter will obviously read what you wrote. Do you really think that your opinion will make him feel better about what should be a proud moment?
Very well stated, and nothing more to add. Glad you said it WB, because I probably wouldn't have been as nice about it.
And congratulations to the new hunter on his first buck.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:57 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter4ever12 View Post
And congrats on a beauty first mule!

Exactly....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-19-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
As mentioned, metatarsal glands are the surest way to determine a whitetail/mule hybrid without doing a dna analysis. Antlers are the worst way to make this judgement.

That's a beautiful buck! Congrats to the hunter.

I tried to ignore and not respond to this comment, not wanting to give it more exposure. However, expressing these type of opinions need to be quelled at times.

Bringing up what you think this deer "needed" is simply unneeded in this discussion, especially when discussing a young hunter's kill.

The hunter will obviously read what you wrote. Do you really think that your opinion will make him feel better about what should be a proud moment?

Pretty confident on what I stated, if I have hurt your feelings my apologies. I’m quite aware that he will probably read what I wrote hence why I said congrats. Again I stated my opinion and you felt the need to state yours. Much appreciated.

To the young man who shot the deer again congrats. Awesome deer. I was simply stating he woulda been super awesome with a couple more years under his belt. And the reason I stated that is because I’ve done the same thing!

Have I explained myself enough or are we still in the “unneeded” syndrome stage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2018, 07:27 PM

Default non-typicals

Not necessarily a sign of youth. When you see a non-typical formation like this, it is typically a sign of the animal going down-hill with age, or the animal has suffered an injury of sorts.
I chased after a mulie buck for three years, keeping tabs on him until I got drawn. The year before I shot him, he was an amazing 190 class typical, and the year I finally closed the deal, he was a 6x7 non-typical. (still scored 119).
We have seen many examples in the butcher shop, where a non-typical comes in, and there is almost always an injury or growth to the off-side. (meaning if the left horn looked deformed, the injury was found on the right leg)
I have also read cases of certain diseases that can create different horn formations, but those are usually very evident.
My opinion would be that this deer was approaching the final years. A good buck to take.
Congrats to the young fella. Pretty hard to top this one for his next tag!!
Old 11-19-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
As mentioned, metatarsal glands are the surest way to determine a whitetail/mule hybrid without doing a dna analysis. Antlers are the worst way to make this judgement.

That's a beautiful buck! Congrats to the hunter.

Well said
Old 11-20-2018, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
You cannot...repeat cannot...determine a “hybrid” by antlers. No matter how many try that’s not how it’s done. DNA and size/shape/location of the tarsal glands on the back legs is how to determine a “hydrid”. Not as common as many would have you believe.

Mule deer all the way, congrats!

LC
Like button pressed
.exactly right Kris.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk