Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-18-2018, 09:41 AM

Default gun oil in cold temps

Never had a problem before but this year my semi-auto 12 ga has not been cycling reliably in cold weather conditions. Normally I use CLP for everything and wipe it dry before reassembly. That includes the piston, piston housing, and mag tube. I clean the gas system every time after a hunt.

I need the gun to cycle reliably. So, I have removed all traces of oil with acetone, including the recoil spring tube; there is no oil on any surface of the gun and I'm going to shoot it that way this week in the stubble fields.

Thoughts? Your experiences with semi-auto shot guns not cycling in cold weather?
Old 11-18-2018, 09:56 AM

I spray my parts with G96 and leave for 5 min. then wipe off. Never had a problem with 2 3/4 inch shells. 3 in. I sometimes have problems with in very cold weather, but it is an old gun.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-18-2018, 10:12 AM

I use a synthetic oil very sparingly on the bolt , and have had no issues with cycling.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:20 AM

For the only cold weather semi-auto I use... I flush all “summer lube” and run it dry. I am not shooting high volume.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:51 AM

I use G96 and wipe to leave a film on my old Browning Auto5 but have not had it out in really cold temps. Same method for my Remington 742 Woodsmaster and I have taken it out all day at -26C. Maybe I have been lucky.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:19 PM

Balistol. Doesn’t freeze, doesn’t gunk up. Doesn’t dry out. Had it on my rifles at -25 outside. Never an issue.
My buddy sprayed a few drops on his cube van cargo padlock that was freezing all the time and it now works at any temp.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:33 PM

Synthetic automatic transmission fluid. It lubricates, prevents rust, wont harm rubber, doesn't gunk up, stays fluid in the cold, wont attract dirt like other oils, and it cleans..... The only down side is the smell.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:44 PM

Mobile 0-W30 for synthetic oil and Super Lube for where you need synthetic grease. Both are good to -70, this way you don't have to run your guns dry in high volume shooting situations. The grease also works great in fishing reels for ice fishing. I replaced the factory grease in all of my reals with the synthetic. Much better feel and a lot smoother.

https://www.super-lube.com/greases
Old 11-18-2018, 12:52 PM

Default Winter War

The Finns used sunflower oil as the viscosity was unaffected by the cold.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykuch View Post
Synthetic automatic transmission fluid. It lubricates, prevents rust, wont harm rubber, doesn't gunk up, stays fluid in the cold, wont attract dirt like other oils, and it cleans..... The only down side is the smell.
I use power steering fluid. Colorless, almost no smell and does the same thing.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Never had a problem before but this year my semi-auto 12 ga has not been cycling reliably in cold weather conditions. Normally I use CLP for everything and wipe it dry before reassembly. That includes the piston, piston housing, and mag tube. I clean the gas system every time after a hunt.

I need the gun to cycle reliably. So, I have removed all traces of oil with acetone, including the recoil spring tube; there is no oil on any surface of the gun and I'm going to shoot it that way this week in the stubble fields.

Thoughts? Your experiences with semi-auto shot guns not cycling in cold weather?
Which gun do you have and which shells were you using that day?
Old 11-18-2018, 06:09 PM

One of the shooters was using a Mossberg 20 gauge at skeet today, and it suffered several failures to chamber the second round fully. He used Hoppes gun oil, and the bolt seemed sticky today.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:19 PM

The quality of the shells being used is sometimes overlooked when cycling becomes sluggish. Try a different brand to double check and good luck.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauvalkid View Post
The quality of the shells being used is sometimes overlooked when cycling becomes sluggish. Try a different brand to double check and good luck.
If the problem only occurs in cold weather, the issue is more likely to be a lubrication issue than an ammunition issue..
Old 11-18-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBEX View Post
Which gun do you have and which shells were you using that day?
Mossberg 930. What shells was I using? Good question. I should have been paying attention to that. All are 3 inches....could have been Imperial or Remington or Challenger or Score...………..a mixed bunch in my bag. But I've shot all of those in warmer temps with no cycling issues.

I'm going out to the stubble field tomorrow with a dry gun. I'm predicting Gooseageddon.

Thanks for the tips guys...

Last edited by CNP; 11-18-2018 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I don't think it was the shells. I'm into the 3rd flat of Challengers for this year. I'm going to strip it down and clean it tonight. Find something else to lubricate it with.

I was actually bragging to Elk that the cheap little mossy 20 had been cycling flawlessly. That was about 2 stations before the first jam lol.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post

Fat , greasy diesel fuel will take care of this problem .
No lubricant is needed in semi autos well below zero.
S12
Old 11-18-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Balistol. Doesn’t freeze, doesn’t gunk up. Doesn’t dry out. Had it on my rifles at -25 outside. Never an issue.
My buddy sprayed a few drops on his cube van cargo padlock that was freezing all the time and it now works at any temp.
yup good stuff
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:49 PM

I mentioned that the shells might be the problem due to cold temperatures having an effect on shotshell ammunition. The other possibility (and it seems quite simple so please bear with me) is taking a look at the clothes that you are wearing in cold weather that may cause you to not really get a solid gun mount. The clothes may be too squishy for lack of a better description to allow a solid anchor when the shot is fired. As you already know the semi-auto needs a firm stop on the shoulder when shot to allow it to fire and cycle the next shell. Just some thoughts and good luck.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:22 AM

Quote:
I mentioned that the shells might be the problem due to cold temperatures having an effect on shotshell ammunition. The other possibility (and it seems quite simple so please bear with me) is taking a look at the clothes that you are wearing in cold weather that may cause you to not really get a solid gun mount. The clothes may be too squishy for lack of a better description to allow a solid anchor when the shot is fired. As you already know the semi-auto needs a firm stop on the shoulder when shot to allow it to fire and cycle the next shell. Just some thoughts and good luck.
My browning won’t cycle anything under 1-1/4 once. A semi auto should cycle a shell if not held.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fed View Post
My browning won’t cycle anything under 1-1/4 once. A semi auto should cycle a shell if not held.
Depends on the gun. If you suspend a semi from strings, free floating in air and pull the trigger it may or may not cycle. Gas driven actions are more likely to cycle, recoil operated mostly won't. Put the butt of either against a solid object and it will always cycle. Same happens with semi auto pistols. If you don't hold them with a stiff enough wrist you will get way more failures to cycle.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:19 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Dry, no lube,dry......

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-19-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fed View Post
Hold a Benelli recoil operated gun at the hip and see what happens, most wont cycle. My SX-3 will not cycle from the hip with target loads, but is very reliable when shouldered. All of the Browning Maxus, Gold, and Silver shotguns that I have used, would cycle all 3 dram loads, and most 2-3/4 dram target loads, down to 1 ounce. The cheap Winchester Universal and Supertarget loads seem to cause more issues with most guns than any other loads.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:07 PM

Default cleaned everything with acetone and zero lube applied

It wasn't that cold this am. -5 and warmed up quickly from there or at least the dreaded sun made it appear that way. Gun shot flawlessly completely dry with 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells from 3 different manufacturers Not much shooting though...…...only 5 shells were released and 3 geese down. Well over a thousand geese in the air but they lost interest in our setup. Stayed away from it like the plague. I hate the sun...…….. love cloudy days for goose hunting. Tomorrow...
Old 11-19-2018, 03:51 PM

I have been using a dry silicone spray lube on my semi shotguns for many years.
No issues in any weather. CRC makes a reasonably priced version.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Hold a Benelli recoil operated gun at the hip and see what happens, most wont cycle. My SX-3 will not cycle from the hip with target loads, but is very reliable when shouldered. All of the Browning Maxus, Gold, and Silver shotguns that I have used, would cycle all 3 dram loads, and most 2-3/4 dram target loads, down to 1 ounce. The cheap Winchester Universal and Supertarget loads seem to cause more issues with most guns than any other loads.
A good flinch will cause a reload failure as well, ask me how I know.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-21-2018, 11:13 PM

G96 complete gun has kept my Remington SA's flawless for about 40 years.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:34 AM

try some mobil hvi 13, the replacement for esso j13, probally the best extreme cold weather hydraulic oil ever made.
Old 12-25-2018, 11:31 AM

Don't use acetone to strip oil as it will eat many plastics and finishes.

I use lighter fluid or varsol if I have to get rid of oil.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:10 PM

No oil, get as much off as you can and then use a dry line spray. Years ago I had a bolt freeze up in cold weather and the firing pin spring would not snap when the trigger was pulled. Switched to dry lube in cold weather, problem solved.