Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-14-2018, 07:00 PM

Default Volquartzen .22's - are they all that?

Hey everyone, I am looking at getting a real nice .22 and was wondering if anyone has any input on Volquartzen. They are pretty pricey, but are they that awesome? I'd like to be able to do an inch at a hundred yards....what's the best bang for the buck?

Thanks in advance!

Norm
Old 11-14-2018, 07:04 PM

My Volquartsen in 22lr easily puts 5 shots in 1" at 100 yards, with a load that it likes.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
My Volquartsen in 22lr easily puts 5 shots in 1" at 100 yards, with a load that it likes.
Is it fairly forgiving as far as ammo goes?
Old 11-14-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
Is it fairly forgiving as far as ammo goes?
If you want 1" at 100 yards, you may have to try a few better quality loads.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
If you want 1" at 100 yards, you may have to try a few better quality loads.
Fair enough, can I ask what model you have?
Old 11-14-2018, 07:40 PM

I purchased a Classic with the laminate stock about 5 yrs ago ...Sylvestre in Bonnyville if IIRC. Came in about $1400.00. Shoots well. Under 1/2” @ 50M. 80% hit ratio on gophers to 100M. After making the purchase, I emailed Volquartzen to ask what ammo they used to test their rifles and received a reply from Scott Volquarsen advising it was Wolf...which, with a bit of research, I found was just rebranded (Wolf for the US market) by SK. I discovered the factory tests were done with SK Standard ...which I purchase from Prohet River. Think it runs about $8.00 a box when ordered by the brick.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:46 PM

SK Standard Plus was okay in my rifle, but RWS Championship Edition was the only load that would do sub 1" consistantly at 100 yards. My rifle was a stainless model with McMillan stock.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
I purchased a Classic with the laminate stock about 5 yrs ago ...Sylvestre in Bonnyville if IIRC. Came in about $1400.00. Shoots well. Under 1/2” @ 50M. 80% hit ratio on gophers to 100M. After making the purchase, I emailed Volquartzen to ask what ammo they used to test their rifles and received a reply from Scott Volquarsen advising it was Wolf...which, with a bit of research, I found was just rebranded (Wolf for the US market) by SK. I discovered the factory tests were done with SK Standard ...which I purchase from Prohet River. Think it runs about $8.00 a box when ordered by the brick.
That's awesome info, thanks for that Elk. I might look into an early xmas present! :-)
Old 11-14-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
SK Standard Plus was okay in my rifle, but RWS Championship Edition was the only load that would do sub 1" consistantly at 100 yards. My rifle was a stainless model with McMillan stock.
Mine remains in the original VQ laminate stock. I did bed it.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Mine remains in the original VQ laminate stock. I did bed it.
I ordered mine from Sylvestre Sports, they had an order arrive recently, and were willing to mix and match stock/action combinations with the rifles in stock. The McMillan was an extra cost option, but it is an excellent stock pattern.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:49 PM
Banned

If you are not set on .22 you can pick up a .17 at less than half the price that will give you the kind of accuracy you are after or better fairly easily but does have a bit more wind drift. Ammo will be more like 16/box but the 6-700 you save will buy a lot of ammo.

Last edited by bobalong; 11-14-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
If you are not set on .22 you can pick up a .17 at half that price that will give you that kind of accuracy fairly easily but does have a bit more wind drift.
The 17HMR has far less wind drift than a 22lr.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
The 17HMR has far less wind drift than a 22lr.

Interesting, I have never actually measured it and have not shot the .22 much the last few years but it just seemed like it moved more......anyway another plus for the .17 then
Old 11-14-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Interesting, I have never actually measured it and have not shot the .22 much the last few years but it just seemed like it moved more......anyway another plus for the .17 then
Te big negative, is that I paid $600 for a case of 5000 rounds of the RWS 22lr loads, 5000 rounds of 17HMR will cost at least $1800 or more. That extra $1200 pays for the Volquartsen.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Te big negative, is that I paid $600 for a case of 5000 rounds of the RWS 22lr loads, 5000 rounds of 17HMR will cost at least $1800 or more. That extra $1200 pays for the Volquartsen.
Yes I already stated that ammo would be more expensive, but accuracy and range will be more.........depends what you want most I guess.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Yes I already stated that ammo would be more expensive, but accuracy and range will be more.........depends what you want most I guess.
A quality 22lr rifle will shoot every bit as accurate at 50 yd, and some will be as accurate at 100 yd, if you use better quality ammunition that the rifle likes. My Cooper 17HMR averages around 3/4" for five shots at 100m, and the Volquartsen is almost as good. My Fortner Action Anschutz 22lr, is every bit as accurate as my 17HMR at 100m , using less expensive ammunition. Most people have never fired a higher end 22lr with quality loads, and they don't realize what is possible with a 22lr.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
A quality 22lr rifle will shoot every bit as accurate at 50 yd, and some will be as accurate at 100 yd, if you use better quality ammunition that the rifle likes. My Cooper 17HMR averages around 3/4" for five shots at 100m, and the Volquartsen is almost as good. My Fortner Action Anschutz 22lr, is every bit as accurate as my 17HMR at 100m , using less expensive ammunition. Most people have never fired a higher end 22lr with quality loads, and they don't realize what is possible with a 22lr.
I have never shot a high end .22 either but the difference I have seen from a standard .22 and ammo and a .17 is huge, with only a couple hundred difference in price for the rifles. I like shooting rimfire and if I had the 1500-2000 to spend on a high end .22 I certainly would but the standard .17 has been a great alternative.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:45 PM

Here is my Anschutz with a couple of five shot 50m groups. This is with $6 per box ammunition, not high dollar match loads. And those high dollar match loads, don't cost any more that the 17HMR loads. These groups are in the .2s, the Volquartsen accuracy guarantee is .4" at 50 yards, so not that much larger.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Here is my Anschutz with a couple of five shot 50m groups. This is with $6 per box ammunition, not high dollar match loads. And those high dollar match loads, don't cost any more that the 17HMR loads. These groups are in the .2s, the Volquartsen accuracy guarantee is .4" at 50 yards, so not that much larger.

Very nice, but I am guessing that rifle goes for just a bit over 500.00 and I believe those are one of the most accurate rimfires in the world.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Very nice, but I am guessing that rifle goes for just a bit over 500.00 and I believe those are one of the most accurate rimfires in the world.
Yest it is a high dollar rifle, but good luck finding a semi auto 17HMR that will shoot with a Volquartsen 22lr, which is a semi auto. And that is what makes the Volquartsen 22lr even more impressive.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:54 AM

if you are looking to purchase an accurate 22lr, I'd be giving the new Tikka T1x a look. it is a bolt action, and it doesn't have the sexy lines of the Volquartsen, but it will meet and probably exceed the accuracy of the Volquartsen for about half of the purchase price. the bad news is the company is having all kinds of problems meeting their delivery deadlines. if you want a rifle right now, look elsewhere.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
If you are not set on .22 you can pick up a .17 at less than half the price that will give you the kind of accuracy you are after or better fairly easily but does have a bit more wind drift. Ammo will be more like 16/box but the 6-700 you save will buy a lot of ammo.
Yeah, I've had several .17 hmr and all were sub moa 10 shot machines es when the wind was down. Awesome really. I am looking at a .22 right now though.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsik View Post
if you are looking to purchase an accurate 22lr, I'd be giving the new Tikka T1x a look. it is a bolt action, and it doesn't have the sexy lines of the Volquartsen, but it will meet and probably exceed the accuracy of the Volquartsen for about half of the purchase price. the bad news is the company is having all kinds of problems meeting their delivery deadlines. if you want a rifle right now, look elsewhere.
Good recommendation, I will look into them! I wonder how the target models of the savage compare accuracy wise? I know in 17hmr they are deadly!

I like Elks comments about the auto loader though. There is something to be said for that kind of accuracy in a semi!
Old 11-15-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Good recommendation, I will look into them! I wonder how the target models of the savage compare accuracy wise? I know in 17hmr they are deadly!

I like Elks comments about the auto loader though. There is something to be said for that kind of accuracy in a semi!
If you really want a semi auto Volquartsen is an excellent choice. CZ is a good choice for a reasonably priced bolt action, but the triggers need work. The T-1 will likely be good as well. If you want even better accuracy Anchutz is as good as it gets, but at a premium price.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:

My mkll 22lr is quite accurate. Look up ELR rim fire thread
Old 11-15-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
If you really want a semi auto Volquartsen is an excellent choice. CZ is a good choice for a reasonably priced bolt action, but the triggers need work. The T-1 will likely be good as well. If you want even better accuracy Anchutz is as good as it gets, but at a premium price.
Excellent, thanks!
Old 11-15-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
My mkll 22lr is quite accurate. Look up ELR rim fire thread
I will check it out. Thank you!
Old 11-21-2018, 02:57 PM

I had a factory model and it would not eject a loaded round from the chamber. The only way to remove the loaded round was to pry it out or to fire the round.

This means that if there was a ceasefire at a range the gun may still be loaded if not all rounds have been fired.

Also on the gopher patch you may be left with one live round in the chamber and no more gophers. There are probably other times where you may want to make your firearm safe without firing a round or prying on the rim with a knife.

I talked directly to Volquartzen and they said this was by design. They offered to open the chamber slightly if I shipped it to them but it would reduce the accuracy.

I no longer have the gun as there are other options.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXSB View Post
I had a factory model and it would not eject a loaded round from the chamber. The only way to remove the loaded round was to pry it out or to fire the round.

This means that if there was a ceasefire at a range the gun may still be loaded if not all rounds have been fired.

Also on the gopher patch you may be left with one live round in the chamber and no more gophers. There are probably other times where you may want to make your firearm safe without firing a round or prying on the rim with a knife.

I talked directly to Volquartzen and they said this was by design. They offered to open the chamber slightly if I shipped it to them but it would reduce the accuracy.

I no longer have the gun as there are other options.
I was able to find a better option as well.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:34 PM

I tried to make my own version on a 10/22 with Volquartsen hammer. sear, extractor and stainless Green Mountain bull barrel in a Hogue rubberized stock with alum bedding. It will knock the primer out of a shotgun shell at 50 yards on the first shot...off a rest of course. Here's 10 shots somewhat rapid fire at 50 yards using Federal 525 value pack 36 grains and would all go in a dime if I wasn't fooling around.

I'm sure the Volquartsen version will be as good as mine but probably better considering the price. I sold the old barrel, stock so it worked out to about 250 in parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ResizerImage1568X882.jpg (29.3 KB, 35 views)