Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-04-2018, 06:38 AM

Default Cost to start reloading

Just wondering if anyone can give me a cost on a medium-priced setup to reload for thirty-ought-six 270 win for 444Marlin. I obviously know that you have to buy different dyes for different cartridges just wondering about the whole setup process thanks

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2018, 06:50 AM

You can start out with basic low cost gear for a few hundred dollars. Every step up in quality costs more, as does going to powered equipment like electronic dispensers and powered case trimmers. Your cost will depend on the quality you desire, and how quickly you want to load. Basically, you need a press, dies, scale, a way to trim cases, a way to prime cases, shell holders, funnels, case lube, and measuring tools. You can find a lot of data on line.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:09 AM

Doesn't take long to add up.

I started with the RCBS

If I would do it again. I would jump right in.

The rcbs rock chucker supreme deluxe kit for 1200.00 and I would probably pick up a balance beam scale on the side.

With dies and stuff. I'd say 1500.00 for all 3 cartidges would be a top notch rcbs kit.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:18 AM

In all seriousness. Watch the video you youtube.

"Reloading with a lee loader."

I have a unit for .30-06 and it's slick. All done by hand and quite fun to just start and if so. Then save for the kit!
Old 11-04-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post

I started with the RCBS

The rcbs rock chucker supreme deluxe kit for 1200.00 and I would probably pick up a balance beam scale on the side.

With dies and stuff. I'd say 1500.00 for all 3 cartidges would be a top notch rcbs kit.
Yes, you can start with a basic LEE kit, and replace the scale, and then upgrade over time, or you can start out with better gear, and not bother upgrading. My RCBS press is over 35 years old, and it will serve me the rest of my life but I am using a Chargemaster, and Universal case prep center and universal priming tools, which I purchased over the years, because they make loading quicker and easier for me. I also use much higher priced dies than I used to, as I prefer micrometer adjustable dies, and neck bushing dies for some applications. Some die sets actually cost well over $300, which adds up quickly. And if you get into loading to save money, that doesn't usually work, unless you pick one load from a book, and just load it, and don't experiment with other components. Usually, it doesn't take long to build up a huge supply of powders and bullets to experiment with. I have downsized my firearms inventory, and have been selling ff components, and it is amazing how much I had accumulated over the years.lol
Old 11-04-2018, 07:40 AM

I found an old timer who was done with the hobby and was selling everything he had, it was what you see is what you get, packed in 4 boxes that took 2 guys to lift each one. Included a LOT of components covering many calibers - brass, bullets, primers by the thousand, 6 lb powder to get going, trim tools, scale, powder thrower, calipers, press, 12 sets of dies some of which I haven't even looked at, and a treasure trove of old reloading manuals and information. Everything was well used, and well cared for. Since then have made a fair few upgrades, but the original kit got me hooked! Paid $1000 for the lot.

I wouldn't be scared to go used at all.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:43 AM

Thanks for the info I tried to get into a 30 years ago I had a rock chucker and some stuff never did get into it but thinking I might again

Old 11-04-2018, 07:57 AM
Banned

Check out different options and brands, new and used. If you set a budget your doomed to fail. LOL
Old 11-04-2018, 08:10 AM

I started out with a $149 Lee kit plus some dies several years ago. For a couple hundred rounds a year it’s still working great. My rifle’s still chewing ragged one hole groups, so I can’t come up with a good excuse for the minister of defence to finance a “good” press.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger1 View Post
I started out with a $149 Lee kit plus some dies several years ago. For a couple hundred rounds a year it’s still working great. My rifle’s still chewing ragged one hole groups, so I can’t come up with a good excuse for the minister of defence to finance a “good” press.
If you have the patience to deal with the LEE scale, you can load good ammunition with the LEE kit. One friend was ready to quit handloading because of the scale, but I sold him an RCBS scale, which he found to be much more use friendly.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:45 AM
Banned

I'd say you can start with everything you need for about $250 with press, tumbler, dies etc. This is a bare bones set up but will still get good ammo. The more money you spend will make things easier, more comfortable to do, and faster production. That doesn't mean better accuracy. That comes from the attention to detail.

Just as an idea, my case trimmer cost me more than the kit I started using. And I still use some of that kit.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:06 AM

Default Reloading

For years I used an original lee loader and powder scale.
Cheap, simple, and accurate.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:15 AM

I managed to get a buddy a fine reloading set up by, watching the forum for some good quality used equipment to come up for sale on the buy sell sub forum.
RCBS RS press
505 scale
Lyman 55 powder dump
Trickler
Loading block
Hand primer

For around $200.

He picked up a case trimmer, chamfer and deburr tool, and a digital caliber, for around $200 extra. He already had bought dies, as he used to borrow my set up.

I gifted him a couple loading manuals at Christmas.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-04-2018, 11:54 AM

Default go used

There is ALWAYS lots of used equipment at any gun show. Check around and you can get yourself the basics to start reloading for 2-300.00
you dont need a rockchucker kit and a chargemaster to get started.
90% of all presses will fit the standard die size. A good used press and a scale shouldnt run more than 150.00. I let a pacific press, that a neighbor gave me to sell, go at the gun show for 25.00. He just wanted it GONE!
Have some fun, and check out the used market at the shows, or just shop the forum here and CGN site equipment exchange.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:22 PM

Default Cost

Very basic reloading equipment
Lee hand press 89$ from x reload
Lee pace setter dies 80$ per set
Lee trimmer 30$
Lee primer 40$
Electronic scale 60$

You could be set up for the two cartridges for less than 400$ buying used will bring that cost down a bit.

Make friends with someone who is set up and use their gear. I do this with a handful of guys..they bring their own dies and components and use my tools. The rule is you break something you replace it. Simple as that.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:30 PM

If you arn't sure if loading is something you want to get into you could join in on a loading session and give it a go. Unfortunately I don't load either of those cartridges so I don't have dies or components, but at least you will get an idea of what tools are must haves and what are can do withouts.
I load 22-250,243,30-30,303,308,3006,300wm,7 mm rm,44 mag,and 45-70.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you have the patience to deal with the LEE scale, you can load good ammunition with the LEE kit. One friend was ready to quit handloading because of the scale, but I sold him an RCBS scale, which he found to be much more use friendly.
What’s the problem with the scale? Verify zero, set weight, throw powder, top up weight by trickling powder from a brass cartridge case. Or maybe a store bought trickler if needed.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:46 PM

alright thanks for all the info anybody in the Leduc area interested in doing a few loads I'll buy the dies and all the powder and bullets and stuff thanks

Old 11-04-2018, 03:03 PM

I have a pretty much new mutitoyo dial caliper for sale if interested. Located in edmlnton
Old 11-04-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger1 View Post
What’s the problem with the scale? Verify zero, set weight, throw powder, top up weight by trickling powder from a brass cartridge case. Or maybe a store bought trickler if needed.

It didn't seem to dampen properly, and took much longer to settle down, and the zero seemed to wander on the one my friend had, so he didn't trust it. Other people that I know had similar issues. Many people still use the LEE press, but several people that I know purchased a different scale.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:48 PM

https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...nniversary-kit

I have been using Lee since 1980 or 81 as my go to press and dies. I do have some RCBS dies , and a 505 RCBS scale and a few other accessories I added over time. Lee has never let me down, and they are priced great.

I also have a Rock Crusher press, but it is only used for loading 57 sniders because it takes a 1 1/4" thread die.

Titan is a US company that is great to deal with and has great prices.

Last edited by petew; 11-06-2018 at 11:55 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post

I started with the RCBS

This ^^^^ I started out with a "Lee hit it with a mallet kit" in 6.5x55, years ago.....I wish they had the RCBS kit back then would have saved money, time and grief. Buy once cry once.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:59 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
This ^^^^ I started out with a "Lee hit it with a mallet kit" in 6.5x55, years ago.....I wish they had the RCBS kit back then would have saved money, time and grief. Buy once cry once.

LOL Lee hit it with a mallet, yup that's what I started with too.

$34.00 now, $16.00 back then. But it worked.

The only problem with the Lee loader was that it was just barely enough to convince me that I wanted to get a press, and all the trimmings.

The best thing about it was that it did the trick until I could afford better.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-12-2018, 01:17 PM
Gone Hunting

Oh and BTW, some will say that you need to spend thousands, just on the press.

It's simply not true. Lee, Lyman and others make low cost but very effective reloading tools.

My entire setup cost under $1,000.00. I have a turret press, a digital scale, a balance beam scale, a powder measure, turbo tumbler case trimmer and about ten sets of dies. Plus crimp dies, bullet puller, primer press and ultra sonic cleaner.

Granted much of it was bought some years ago but even at today's prices I could replace it all for less then the cost of one, high end kit, that has only one die station. And no dies.

The high end presses are great if you want to reform large cases or swage bullets, but for every day case resizing, the cheapest press has more then enough strength.
My Lee press is nearly thirty years old, it has resized thousands of cases and it works as good today as the day I bought it.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-12-2018, 01:25 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
It didn't seem to dampen properly, and took much longer to settle down, and the zero seemed to wander on the one my friend had, so he didn't trust it. Other people that I know had similar issues. Many people still use the LEE press, but several people that I know purchased a different scale.

I have a Lee balance beam scale. When I first got it I had the same issues with getting the scale to settle down until I figured out that one air duct was blowing directly on it. I blocked off that duct and have had no issues since then.

In fact I was just using it less then an hour ago. Cross checking with my digital scale, the Lee scale matched the readings from the digital scale every time.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-13-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
LOL Lee hit it with a mallet, yup that's what I started with too.

$34.00 now, $16.00 back then. But it worked.

The only problem with the Lee loader was that it was just barely enough to convince me that I wanted to get a press, and all the trimmings.

The best thing about it was that it did the trick until I could afford better.
I'm looking at getting a Lee hit it with a mallet for some of my current calibers.. I have a full bench set up with all the tools you could possibly need. I also have a " range" set up for loading / tweaking loaded rounds on the range or wherever.( this kit come on vacation with me ECT...) lately I've been thinking I need a very simple " saddle bag " loading kit for the bug out bag. 2 lbs of red dot and 500 bullets are fairly light to pack along with the dirty thirty and would allow me to build my own reduced loads should the shtf....along with my bow and slingshot it would make a decent BOB harvesting kit. LOL
Old 11-13-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I have a Lee balance beam scale. When I first got it I had the same issues with getting the scale to settle down until I figured out that one air duct was blowing directly on it. I blocked off that duct and have had no issues since then.

In fact I was just using it less then an hour ago. Cross checking with my digital scale, the Lee scale matched the readings from the digital scale every time.
That wasn't the issue that I experienced, it was summer, and there was no A/C operating, so no air flow affecting it. The LEE scales just have very weak damping.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
That wasn't the issue that I experienced, it was summer, and there was no A/C operating, so no air flow affecting it. The LEE scales just have very weak damping.
That may be true. Yet I have no issues with mine. I wonder, is that really an issue? If so, why do some have no issues while others can't seen to get them to work ?

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-13-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
That may be true. Yet I have no issues with mine. I wonder, is that really an issue? If so, why do some have no issues while others can't seen to get them to work ?
Perhaps some of their scales are just worse than others?
Old 11-13-2018, 04:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have used , and seen used, a dozen or more Lee scales with no issues. Some people seem to have more issues with tools than others.