Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-27-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Not familiar with the discipline ...does three gun target unshrouded steel, stationary/moving position during discharge?
A variety of targets , including some steel, where the participants are running from position to position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDnWoFQ8aPE
Old 08-27-2018, 01:07 PM

Should also be pointed out that the rcmp hasn’t determined if the round came from the range at all. There are reports from people there of other firing going on in the area.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So which facility existed first, the golf course, or the range? If the range existed first, the golf course developers likely expressed no concern about being so close to a range, when they were applying for approval to build their course, but now that the course exists, it would be interesting to know how they feel about being 1lm from the range?
Hopefully, it can be established that the bullet did not originate from the range, and this incident doesn't spur a campaign to shut down the range.
Range was there first 15-20 yrs before. Used to go out to 400m and was shortened to 200 and big baffles installed and bermed up some more. I believe there has been a handgun range or 2 added since facing south as well.

The shotgun range sees the heaviest use. I haven't been back for a couple yrs since the guy beside me "borrowed" my target at 50m to pepper full with his SKS.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
Should also be pointed out that the rcmp hasn’t determined if the round came from the range at all. There are reports from people there of other firing going on in the area.
Could have been anyone shooting at whatever
The golfer was treated and released from hospital, the injury couldn't have too serious.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Not familiar with the discipline ...does three gun target unshrouded steel, stationary/moving position during discharge?
Unshrouded steel but rifle steel is few and far between and usually put right up against the berm. It is up to the shooter whether they want to shoot on the move or shoot from a standing position. In my experience new or inexperienced shooters don't shoot on the move both for accuracy reasons and safety reasons.
Each shooter on the course is followed closely by a RO and if the RO sees bad muzzle or trigger discipline the shooter will be stopped and depending on the degree of infraction the shooter will be penalised or removed from the match.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 08-27-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
Unshrouded steel but rifle steel is few and far between and usually put right up against the berm. It is up to the shooter whether they want to shoot on the move or shoot from a standing position. In my experience new or inexperienced shooters don't shoot on the move both for accuracy reasons and safety reasons.
Each shooter on the course is followed closely by a RO and if the RO sees bad muzzle or trigger discipline the shooter will be stopped and depending on the degree of infraction the shooter will be penalised or removed from the match.
Steel placed tight to the backstop should not let a bullet leave the range.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
BUT, BUT, BUT ... the CBC said it is so and for a lot of the people on this forum that is the end of the topic, case solved...nothing to see here move along.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
I'm a member of the range, and know it very well, done lots of shooting and a few tactical courses there as well. I can't comment if the round came from the shoot or not, I wasn't there, but I do know that there is lots of shooting in the bush that goes on south and east of there as well. I've seen plenty of messy shot up sites, with lots of brass laying around. Some people don't like to pay for range memberships or fees. I figure the RCMP will get it figures out. Either way, it's negative press for our club, and doesn't look good in the media.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-27-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
...it couldn't have just gone into a fairway, had to hit someone. Damn.
Luckily it hit him in the leg, not in the head.

"Toe da so" - Ricky, Trailer Park Boys
Old 08-29-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Would have to assume that the golfer was hit in a way that the direction of the shooting range was the reason it was blamed for this. Could be the media though.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:29 AM

Like every shooting in GP, no details are ever released and no follow up statement from the club
So was this an accidental discharge at the range or a bullet from the dunes staging area. If it happened at the range, many people saw or heard the shot. It should have been a quick investigation with 50 witnesses to either clear or implicate the club.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:34 PM

God hates golfers, he'll try and kill them every chance he gets.

Grizz
Old 11-19-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
Like every shooting in GP, no details are ever released and no follow up statement from the club
So was this an accidental discharge at the range or a bullet from the dunes staging area. If it happened at the range, many people saw or heard the shot. It should have been a quick investigation with 50 witnesses to either clear or implicate the club.
Really, you need to speculate about it? If you want to know what is going on, why don't you contact the President of the Wapiti Shooters Club, and ask him what is going on. He will talk to you. Then you don't have to come on here with your speculation and attitude about the club not releasing a statement. Maybe there is nothing to release yet?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-19-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Really, you need to speculate about it? If you want to know what is going on, why don't you contact the President of the Wapiti Shooters Club, and ask him what is going on. He will talk to you. Then you don't have to come on here with your speculation and attitude about the club not releasing a statement. Maybe there is nothing to release yet?
Speculation and assumptions and occasionally deductions are all hobbies of mine. I think my question was answered by your vitriol alone. Also, why would I need to talk to the president of the Shooters club to answer questions about an RCMP investigation? Either the bullet came from the club or it didn't. I am not assigning blame, just asking why no clarification has been made by the RCMP or the club. I was a member before many people here were born and long before the Dunes, I know the **** the dunes put them through.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
God hates golfers, he'll try and kill them every chance he gets.

Grizz
Hahahahahaha I was about to say the same thing.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Speculation and assumptions and occasionally deductions are all hobbies of mine. I think my question was answered by your vitriol alone. Also, why would I need to talk to the president of the Shooters club to answer questions about an RCMP investigation? Either the bullet came from the club or it didn't. I am not assigning blame, just asking why no clarification has been made by the RCMP or the club. I was a member before many people here were born and long before the Dunes, I know the **** the dunes put them through.
How was it answered? What is your new speculation, I should ask?

For the record, I did speak to the president recently, and he gave me what information he could. As I said, if you have a question on it, I'm pretty sure the contact info is on the club Web site. Sorry about my 'vitriol'...

Old 11-20-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
How was it answered? What is your new speculation, I should ask?

For the record, I did speak to the president recently, and he gave me what information he could. As I said, if you have a question on it, I'm pretty sure the contact info is on the club Web site. Sorry about my 'vitriol'...
Vitrol was too strong a word for your apparent passion for the club. What might be say other than it came from the club or it didn't. If you want me to stop speculating on info you have, then disseminate it, either publicly or by pm please and the thread can die.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:15 PM

Does this range use cctv's?
Old 11-20-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Vitrol was too strong a word for your apparent passion for the club. What might be say other than it came from the club or it didn't. If you want me to stop speculating on info you have, then disseminate it, either publicly or by pm please and the thread can die.
I want our club to exist. It's where I shoot my restricted firearms, shotguns and rifles. As far as the information I have, I was asked to direct anyone with questions to the proper spokesman for the club, which is not me. I respect that, as it keeps any information consistent, factual, and does not bring the risk of my communications being shaded by my own thoughts or bias. I'm not hiding any insider information as I have none, just respecting a reasonable request. If you contact the president of the club, he will give you the same information he gave me. If he wants to publicly post it here, you could ask him to do that. I won't, but not because there is anything negative I have learned about the incident as regards the club. I was not involved there the day it happened, and don't have anything to add.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
I want our club to exist. It's where I shoot my restricted firearms, shotguns and rifles. As far as the information I have, I was asked to direct anyone with questions to the proper spokesman for the club, which is not me. I respect that, as it keeps any information consistent, factual, and does not bring the risk of my communications being shaded by my own thoughts or bias. I'm not hiding any insider information as I have none, just respecting a reasonable request. If you contact the president of the club, he will give you the same information he gave me. If he wants to publicly post it here, you could ask him to do that. I won't, but not because there is anything negative I have learned about the incident as regards the club. I was not involved there the day it happened, and don't have anything to add.
Explained that way I absolutely understand your not saying anything. I apologize for my badgering and will bury my resentment for not being given all the available information.(a bad boss habbit of believing I have a right to info that that does not concern me) It's a great club that is in a bad spot literally and figuratively. I will let this thread die to avoid further damaging their reputation.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:18 PM

No harm, no foul. It is a great club. Cheers. TC

Old 11-20-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUFFBUFF View Post
Range was there first 15-20 yrs before. Used to go out to 400m and was shortened to 200 and big baffles installed and bermed up some more. I believe there has been a handgun range or 2 added since facing south as well.
Back in the late 70's early 80's it was the trap club and rifle range and as the city expanded they swallowed up the existing indoor range. When we had to move out there we had a minimal club house at first and I can remember it being built.

The handgun range started south of the trap range but once the golf course was developed that handgun range had to close and it was moved over by the rifle range. Downrange on everything was south.

Early on we had a silhouette range out to 550m that I would shoot regularly. It was probably one of the finest ranges in the province. It was bermed then but still wide open.

Once the golf course was developed there was a lot of pressure to have it shut down but they didn't succeed. But they did manage to have the range shortened to 2 or 300 meters I can't remember and they had to add all the baffles and higher berms.

I was a member in those years and helped with a lot of work on one thing or another. I don't think I have been down there since the early 90's but I sure sighted in a lot of rifles over the years. I hope nothing bad comes from this.