Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 11:42 AM

Default weird crossbreed potential?

Brought my new hunters out and they got to witness a great hunt! This buck came out swinging to my challenge grunts on Sunday am and I had to take a couple seconds to identify before I took my shot - pictures don’t show it great but he had mule ears, tiny whitetail rack , massive mule body , white tail but also a semi white ass. Saw a mule doe in with his herd anyways one for the freezer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Erinawol; 11-20-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Good job, but that buck is a whitey, little rack made the ears look big, and a beauty long white tail too....whitey buck for the freezer!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-20-2018, 11:52 AM

Looks like any other whitetail I've ever seen.
Whitetail ears, whitetail typical rear end, whitetail rack, big whitetail body...

Congrats on the deer. Sounds like you worked hard for him this year. Thats awesome
Old 11-20-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Looks like any other whitetail I've ever seen.
Whitetail ears, whitetail typical rear end, whitetail rack, big whitetail body...

Congrats on the deer. Sounds like you worked hard for him this year. Thats awesome
Yup, white tail all day long!
Cat
Old 11-20-2018, 11:56 AM

I agree with the other comments. That is 100% WT and I don't see any mulie in him at all.
Congrats and enjoy the table fare he will provide.
Cheers,
SS
Old 11-20-2018, 12:05 PM

Quick gland check puts me with the crowd. Hard to see in the field but clear from the pictures. I don't get this forum's obsession with cross breeds. They aren't impossible but they aren't spotted by their antlers or ears.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:08 PM

Without a doubt but it’s the ass that got me questioning after I took my shot . He came at us dead on in tall wheat and stopped at 50 yards when he Spotted us but didn’t flag which was weird. I took a perfect chest in lung rib out, so when I came up on him I had a oh **** moment because the white spread far exceeds where the tail covers but no black tip and his throat patch wasn’t as prominent. There is quite a bit of cross breeding on 242 so it’s not unheard of . Either way lots of meat and a great new set of small rattler horns I can carry easily on my pack .
Old 11-20-2018, 12:21 PM

Congrats on the success of your hunt!

However I would say you have a very typical young but big bodied Whitetail buck.

Personally I see nothing about him that indicates otherwise.

He will taste great and you can enjoy that unt over again all winter with a steak or roast or some sausage!
Old 11-20-2018, 12:37 PM

Hybrids are identified with the location of the Tarsal Gland on the back (hind) legs.

Sad part is I do not recall the difference of locations right now but it was part of a study on hybridization at Camp Wainwright some years back.

Drewski
Old 11-20-2018, 12:43 PM

Just to be clear I’m not saying he is a hybrid just saying he has some mule characteristics

Old 11-20-2018, 12:53 PM

Besides the Whitetail ears, tail, antlers and body, which Mule Deer characteristics do you think he has?

I'm confused, I only have a tag for a Whitetail and I wouldn't dismiss him in my hunt for any Mule Deer characteristics.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:57 PM

Nice heavy bodied buck you have there. Great shooting!
Old 11-20-2018, 01:15 PM

Dont see anything mule deer at all
Old 11-20-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinawol View Post
Brought my new hunters out and they got to witness a great hunt! This buck came out swinging to my challenge grunts on Sunday am and I had to take a couple seconds to identify before I took my shot - pictures don’t show it great but he had mule ears, tiny whitetail rack , massive mule body , white tail but also a semi white ass. Saw a mule doe in with his herd anyways one for the freezer

very nice looking deer some good eats there congratulations
Old 11-20-2018, 03:16 PM

Nice deer! Congratulations!
Old 11-20-2018, 04:02 PM

Congrats on a nice deer.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 11-20-2018, 04:52 PM

That'll be a tasty buck, congrats! Nothing better than Mundare sausage lol
Old 11-20-2018, 04:52 PM

See the white half-moon gland on outside of lower left rear leg. That is classic shape and location of WTD. Antlers and other characters you mention mean nothing. You got a nice fat deer, which should be great eating!!

ticdoc
Old 11-20-2018, 05:06 PM
Gone Hunting

Hybrid or not, still a good buck. I would be happy to put one like that in my freezer. And I may have to yet.

I'm seeing bucks every day, even had a nice spike Mulie in the back yard today. But so far, no Elk or Moose of any description.

Congratulations on a successful hunt. May you and your party have many many more.

edit to add;

I'm seeing some good bucks if one was hunting horns. Not my thing though.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-20-2018, 06:58 PM

I cannot see any mule deer characteristics what so ever....

LC
Old 11-20-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinawol View Post
Without a doubt but it’s the ass that got me questioning after I took my shot . He came at us dead on in tall wheat and stopped at 50 yards when he Spotted us but didn’t flag which was weird. I took a perfect chest in lung rib out, so when I came up on him I had a oh **** moment because the white spread far exceeds where the tail covers but no black tip and his throat patch wasn’t as prominent. There is quite a bit of cross breeding on 242 so it’s not unheard of . Either way lots of meat and a great new set of small rattler horns I can carry easily on my pack .
There actually isn’t much cross breeding at all . What science do you have backing that? In the thousands of deer killed on camp Wainwright I believe they have only 2 documented cases....that amounts to less than a fraction of a percent. People often see what they want to see but can’t see what’s directly in front of them

LC
Old 11-20-2018, 07:03 PM

i see 100% whitetail and 0% mule deer.

there are many color variations and genetics. but everything about this guy screams whitey.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:57 PM

I’m floored by some of the responses here * obviously reading way to into the title and not enough into the hunt story. It’s obviously a WTD or I wouldn’t have shot it but definitely gave me pause and I’m not afraid to admit that, maybe more People should double check what’s in their sights before pulling the trigger

Anyways I’m heading out solo in the am for my supplementals so I will make sure to have my phone ready to post a picture of my doe’s to be identified by the guys who spend more time On here than in the field before I shoot

Thanks all for the congrats !

Old 11-20-2018, 09:10 PM

Congrats on your deer I think its cool to see a couple ladys out on there own getting it done.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:15 PM

Good job o making sure what you were shooting was an white tail and good for you introducing some one else to hunting and outdoors.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:18 PM

Nice job lady’s excellent deer
Great deer meat
Old 11-20-2018, 09:57 PM

I’m floored by some of the responses here * obviously reading way to into the title and not enough into the hunt story. It’s obviously a WTD or I wouldn’t have shot it but definitely gave me pause and I’m not afraid to admit that, maybe more People should double check what’s in their sights before pulling the trigger

Anyways I’m heading out solo in the am for my supplementals so I will make sure to have my phone ready to post a picture of my doe’s to be identified by the guys who spend more time On here than in the field before I shoot

>>
Doh!! Good burn, she gotcha guys!
Old 11-20-2018, 10:40 PM

Congrats on a great deer to fill the freezer. I can’t believe the body size on that deer. Good on you for standing up for yourself and your opinions. You won’t hear anything negative posted from myself I can promise that.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Hutchinson View Post

>>
Doh!! Good burn, she gotcha guys!
I read the story and have seen mixed species does and bucks before, I really didn’t read Anything unusual into it .
I have also seen white tails with big white rumps as well.
The only thing I look for first when I look at a deer is if it has antlers or not , then the tail for species .

Cat
Old 11-20-2018, 11:42 PM

I’m floored by your click bait title lol... have fun!

LC