Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-16-2018, 10:53 AM

Default One Morning, Two Guys, Two Bucks

Finally getting around to posting this. I was out last Saturday looking for whitetail. A coworker of mine who just got into big game hunting last year was hunting the same area after I introduced him to it last year and he managed to get a WT doe there. We were setup a little over half a mile apart in separate clearings.

Conditions were basically perfect (for sitting anyway) being able to hear the deer coming on the crunchy snow. I was setup and tried a bit of rattling and some calling. Was sitting and waiting for a bit and heard something crunching through the bush. I spotted the WT buck moving just inside the bush parallel to the clearing and he was moving pretty quick with his head down. I was just thinking about giving him another grunt when he turned and came out into the clearing on his own. He kept walking diagonally towards me never slowing or stopping, or looking in my direction. I decided to let this one walk. I did try a grunt just to see his reaction. He didn't care about that one or the next grunt and kept going. Obviously had a mission with his nose on a hot trail. He was going in the general direction of where my co-worked was setup. Less than 10 minutes later I heard the shot. When I got a picture texted to me - sure enough looked like the same buck.

It was still early and I decided to stay where I was for a bit. 15 minutes later movement caught my eye up a trail leading into my clearing about 400 m away. Watched the buck come down the trail, into the clearing and straight towards me. He was moving quick too, tongue hanging out, and glancing around only once in a while. I had the crosshairs on him and just kept watching him come closer. He finally stopped to take a better look around about 60 m away and that was that. He dropped on the spot and at the sound of the shot I saw another buck run who coming down the same trail this one had. Couldn't see the size clearly but did catch the flash off the antlers at 400 m. They were definitely moving this morning. It wasn't even 9:15 yet.

My coworker was thrilled to get his first ever buck and for us each to get one that quick was pretty exciting.

The picture with the leather gloved hand is my coworker's buck and the others are of mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m2 (Medium).jpg (61.6 KB, 989 views)
File Type: jpg file (Medium).jpg (38.6 KB, 867 views)
File Type: jpg file1 (Medium).jpg (40.1 KB, 1010 views)
File Type: jpg file2 (Medium).jpg (38.0 KB, 866 views)
Old 11-16-2018, 10:57 AM

Fantastic you guys!!! Excellent animals!!

Congats!!
Old 11-16-2018, 10:59 AM
Banned

Great job!

I love it when the rut kicks in!!
Old 11-16-2018, 12:26 PM

Sounds like a perfect hunt for everyone, his first buck is a lot bigger than mine. It's actually bigger than a lot of deer I've put in the freezer.I wouldn't have hesitated on either one. It does go to show that being patient and waiting for the right one can have it's benefits. Not every time and rarely so quickly but your patience paid off. Congratulations to the both of you.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:33 PM
Banned

That is my idea of a great day. Congratulations!
Old 11-16-2018, 07:02 PM

Congrats!!
Old 11-16-2018, 07:56 PM

Great job. Heck of a morning.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:02 PM

Nice...excellent day for two buddies to fill some tags so quick as you both did.. Awesome!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 11-17-2018, 09:21 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Wow eh.....send some of that luck this way

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-19-2018, 11:02 PM

Thanks everyone. It was definitely a morning to remember and even better to share in that joy.