Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2019, 10:39 AM

Default So for All you Edmotnon Area Honda Owners

Who is the best dealer in the Edmonton area to buy from and have your Honda serviced by. Hondas are great vehicles but like every other make, the dealership you deal with can make or break the ownership experience. I have found Lexus dealers to be universally great to deal with, all other makes, the dealerships are highly variable from outright bandits, like Londonderry Chrysler to just great. I haven't owned a Honda vehicle for going on 20 years and never owned one any time I lived in Edmonton. Looking for feedback because I know some of you are multiple time Honda buyers. Would especially like feedback on St Albert Honda if there is any. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:08 PM

Default Honda Dealers

I bought my first Honda used and had it serviced by Frontier Honda in Morinville for years until someone ran into it and wrote it off. When they moved to St Albert and changed their name to St Albert Honda I continued with them and then bought a new Honda from them when I was ready. I found them good to deal with and no issues with the service department.

On my last new Honda they were the last dealer I visited. I used the websites Unhaggle as well as CostCanada and based on their suggested price and what the other dealers had already given for quotes, I went in with a printout of what I wanted and what I wanted to pay. I was probably too generous on what I was willing to pay because they gave it to me at the price I named. I couldn't say no at that point.

They have now been bought by GO auto. I have had 1 servicing appt since the change and no significant changes other than a few less front staff. No idea what they will be like to deal with now.

Phil
Old 12-15-2019, 03:13 PM

all my hondas have been from different dealers, go to where i can get best deal. as far as servicing, they never see a dealer unless warranty work.
Best place to take a honda or a toyota is Honda Autotech. been around very long time, all ex dealer mechanics. great work and great pricing. ie simple timing belt was $575 vs dealer $1050. they dont try to spend your money. great guys
Old 12-15-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
all my hondas have been from different dealers, go to where i can get best deal. as far as servicing, they never see a dealer unless warranty work.
Best place to take a honda or a toyota is Honda Autotech. been around very long time, all ex dealer mechanics. great work and great pricing. ie simple timing belt was $575 vs dealer $1050. they dont try to spend your money. great guys
The all knowing google has failed to find "Honda Autotech". Did you, by any chance, mean "Auto Tech West"?

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
The all knowing google has failed to find "Honda Autotech". Did you, by any chance, mean "Auto Tech West"?

ARG

More than likely he means Wilson's Auto tech. Used to be in the 107 ave Auto tech West location as well as their current on 92 St across the road from Eurasia.

Dean, for after warranty service Wilson's is THE place to go. Under warranty the odds are long it'll require any work as you know. It's a Honda....not a domestic pos.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:08 PM

Toytech Auto on Parsons Road does both Toyota and Honda and I am quite happy with them.

I used to use Go Auto Honda but dumped them as soon as my warranty was up. Very expensive and poor customer service.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
On my last new Honda they were the last dealer I visited. I used the websites Unhaggle as well as CostCanada and based on their suggested price and what the other dealers had already given for quotes, I went in with a printout of what I wanted and what I wanted to pay. I was probably too generous on what I was willing to pay because they gave it to me at the price I named. I couldn't say no at that point.
Not necessarily, I did the same for my Wife's CRV and they sold to me for what I offered which was only about $1K over invoice. I didn't want to haggle so I was willing to pay the $1K to save me the bother. When I left I told them not to call me with a counter offer and only call if my offer was accepted.

My Wife and Daughter both have CRV's purchased at St Albert Honda. They must be happy with them otherwise I'm sure that I would have heard about it.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:27 PM

Really appreciate all the info so far. The point about not likely needing repair, beyond normal servicing is spot on and a good reminder. The regular maintenance can be done anywhere. Domestic or Japanese I have never needed warranty work done and honestly I have never done a major repair on any that wasn't German . I Guess like Keith says, dealer to buy from will come down to who has the best deal. Any other info still useful and appreciated.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:47 PM

At Pixel's recommendation, Wilson's Autotech did great work for me. My Ridgeline is still under warranty, but when necessary it will be going there not the stealership. I have found Alberta Honda quite good when under warranty.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:25 PM

Yes my bad. Back in the day it was that name. Wilson auto tech for some time now. They branched off and have 2 shops but different owners.

420,000km on my ridge. I have serviced everything myself since day one except timing belt and power steering hose which is ridiculously routed lmao. Still 4 hour job. Wowzers. Still $300 cheaper then stealership.

Put my first real money into it in August. My alternator crapped the bed. Don’t make parts like they use too lol. Changed it myself. Oh don’t buy parts either at stealership. $800 alternator vs $200 cdn delivered rock auto same oem brand.
I am religious with fluid changes and maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
More than likely he means Wilson's Auto tech. Used to be in the 107 ave Auto tech West location as well as their current on 92 St across the road from Eurasia.

Dean, for after warranty service Wilson's is THE place to go. Under warranty the odds are long it'll require any work as you know. It's a Honda....not a domestic pos.

Last edited by Pixel Shooter; 12-15-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:51 PM

We purchased a used off brand vehicle from St. Albert Honda a few months back. Very reasonable on the price we got for a trade in. Basically what I would have expected selling private and happy with the purchase price as well. Took some negotiating but I think everyone was happy at the end of the day. Except for the finance guy who tired to con us. But that was dealt with by the GM afterwords. I’d shop there again
Old 12-16-2019, 03:08 PM

Another vote for Wilson Auto tech. Been dealing with them since 1995. Great honest shop.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:43 PM

Took my wife out test driving vehicles. Toyota Highlander, Lexus RX350 and Honda Pilot . So far she far prefers the Pilot. I am saying nothing it is 100% her choice. Left that she wants to try Murano, and Jeep Grand Cherokee - no I don't need to hear all the Jeep stories thanks and Porsche Cayene. Will be interesting to see which one she likes driving the best cause that is the one we will get.

The reason I posted this update is we did go to St Albert Honda to try the Pilot, very good service, friendly, helpful and totally not pushy. If she settles on the Pilot I would be quite happy buying from them them if they are able to put the best deal on the table.

One thing I will say is it really messes with all the dealers normal sales routines when you don't care what the price is, what their incentives are, what the financing options are, no trade in etc., all you want is to try their fully loaded model and the decision comes down strictly to what vehicle she likes best. Really eliminates about 90% of what they usually want to talk to you about. Very funny to watch most of them stumble for how to deal with having to sell their vehicle strictly on its merits and features. Quite enjoying watching them trying to figure out how to effectively sell her a car while I play bump on the log.
Old 12-17-2019, 12:14 AM
Banned

That's awesome on the sales aspect. I dont mind dealing with sales people myself unless their lazy and dont know their product. I found quad dealers to be horrible and lazy when I bought a new one last year.

Next laziest sales group are gun dealers. Seems most just want to pass you the gun and dont know much about them. If you can't answer basic questions I'm not going to buy from that shop.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:23 AM

I have used an independent mechanic for several years, but I think I going back to the dealer.Hourly prices are the same, OEM part a little higher but they last longer. For example, OEM alternator lasted 300KM...aftermarket, 35K...the few bucks I saved wasn't worth it IMO.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Took my wife out test driving vehicles. Toyota Highlander, Lexus RX350 and Honda Pilot . So far she far prefers the Pilot. I am saying nothing it is 100% her choice. Left that she wants to try Murano, and Jeep Grand Cherokee - no I don't need to hear all the Jeep stories thanks and Porsche Cayene. Will be interesting to see which one she likes driving the best cause that is the one we will get.

The reason I posted this update is we did go to St Albert Honda to try the Pilot, very good service, friendly, helpful and totally not pushy. If she settles on the Pilot I would be quite happy buying from them them if they are able to put the best deal on the table.

One thing I will say is it really messes with all the dealers normal sales routines when you don't care what the price is, what their incentives are, what the financing options are, no trade in etc., all you want is to try their fully loaded model and the decision comes down strictly to what vehicle she likes best. Really eliminates about 90% of what they usually want to talk to you about. Very funny to watch most of them stumble for how to deal with having to sell their vehicle strictly on its merits and features. Quite enjoying watching them trying to figure out how to effectively sell her a car while I play bump on the log.
Have you guys tried Acura MDX? Same family but more luxury and the SH-AWD is amazing! I’m currently on a second one and love it!
Old 12-17-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Have you guys tried Acura MDX? Same family but more luxury and the SH-AWD is amazing! I’m currently on a second one and love it!
Excellent point. It is actually on the list now because she has such a strong liking for the Pilot. It surprised both of us that the Pilot scored well ahead of the Lexus RX because the Pilot had quite a lot more room in it for shoulders, hips, head clearance, more open cab area, ease of entry and exit. She is very fond of the Lexus vehicles we have/have had so really expected it to land in first place.

My Nephew has an MDX that is a couple of years old that he really likes. Will take her down and let her try a new one. Doubt there is much difference but still worth a drive and the Acura has quite a lot more elegant looking exterior. The Pilot is definitely on the pedestrian side.
Old 12-17-2019, 05:33 PM

Default 4runner

Might not be the fastest, not the fanciest, but it'll last you a long time, that pilot looks nice, but I think tranny issues are its downfall. Didn't those Acura's also run on premium fuel,$$$$$$$
https://www.cars.com/articles/2019-h...1420702650020/

well unless this happens, but the dude survived, I'll take my chances
https://www.toyota-4runner.org/attac...217-175720-jpg

Last edited by lakerman; 12-17-2019 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:28 PM

Acura recommend premium but takes regular fuel no problem. I run premium at first but later switched to regular and didn’t notice even a bit of difference. Dealers also told me that regular is fine.
I have never seen seats as comfortable as in Acura, especially for a long drives!
Old 12-17-2019, 10:51 PM

Appreciate the heads up on the premium fuel issue. Her current vehicle is a mint condition 92 4runner V6 we have had since new. She is the only driver and it has 156,000 klms on it. That means she averages about 6000 klms a year. Whatever she picks, it could burn Unicorn pee and the fuel cost would still be irrelevant.

Laker man

Thanks for the link. Tells me if she ends up picking the Pilot we want to get the 6 speed auto versus the less proficient 9 speed in the two highest trim levels.

KGB

The Acura has the same 9 speed auto with the push button selector and paddle shifts but it well may have different mapping. Have u noticed any lag on downshifts, rough take off from a stop or tendency to hunt for the right gear when downshifting?
Old 12-18-2019, 10:31 AM

If you haven’t already or are stuck on the 7 passenger seating take a look at the passport. We went in to look at a pilot and left with the passport instead.
So far I really like it and am pretty impressed overall.
It was the wife’s vehicle and choosing as well after looking at the rx350 and Acura’s
Old 12-18-2019, 10:39 AM

What are you going to with the Runner, Dean?
Old 12-18-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Autotech all the way . You can also buy Honda vehicule from them .
Old 12-18-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altex View Post
Autotech all the way . You can also buy Honda vehicule from them .
Sorry I meant Toptech. Best service , you can also buy vehicle from them.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
What are you going to with the Runner, Dean?
When we buy the new one I plan to sell the 4Runner. We have 4 vehicles now for 2 people so don't really need 5.

ATF PM sent, thanks.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Appreciate the heads up on the premium fuel issue. Her current vehicle is a mint condition 92 4runner V6 we have had since new. She is the only driver and it has 156,000 klms on it. That means she averages about 6000 klms a year. Whatever she picks, it could burn Unicorn pee and the fuel cost would still be irrelevant.

Laker man

Thanks for the link. Tells me if she ends up picking the Pilot we want to get the 6 speed auto versus the less proficient 9 speed in the two highest trim levels.

KGB

The Acura has the same 9 speed auto with the push button selector and paddle shifts but it well may have different mapping. Have u noticed any lag on downshifts, rough take off from a stop or tendency to hunt for the right gear when downshifting?
There was an issue with the tranny but after they updated the software there is no more. You just have to get used to the 9 speed, it acts a bit different than the 5/6 speed. I also have Acura RLX with a 5 speed that my wife drives and it’s a different feel. But I have no complains with the mdx .
Old 12-18-2019, 06:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Porsche Cayene. Will be interesting to see which one she likes driving the best cause that is the one we will get.
Have a look at the Macan. We’ve had my wife’s for 3 years and we both like it more than my Cayenne for general city driving and road trips. Surprisingly good in snow too. The extra power and better suspension of the Cayenne make it a better “fun” drive though so if she likes to get her hoon once in a while on look at the GTS or better
Old 12-19-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
Have a look at the Macan. We’ve had my wife’s for 3 years and we both like it more than my Cayenne for general city driving and road trips. Surprisingly good in snow too. The extra power and better suspension of the Cayenne make it a better “fun” drive though so if she likes to get her hoon once in a while on look at the GTS or better
Thanks for the info but she tried a Cayenne and didn't like it at all. To her, vehicles are simply an appliance required to get things from the Green House or Grocery store back home, she doesn't "Sport" drive at all. In fact she doesn't even like driving one of my vehicles because she says it has way too much power, my version there really is no such thing.

Want to thank all of you who have contributed. It has been really useful info, especially the feedback from those of you actually driving Hondas of similar style and function. She has now ruled out; Nissan Murano, didn't like the feel or sound of the CVT tranny, Buick Enclave, Lexus RDX 350, cabin too tight Lexus GX, too tall, swing open tailgate with very high lift over and the Porsche, never even drove it, she didn't like the seating and cabin layout.

Honda pilot still in the lead, Toyota Highlander in very close second. The Infinite QX, Acura MDX and Jeep Grande Cherokee still to be tested come Friday.

Will let you know what she lands on.

Last edited by Dean2; 12-19-2019 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:31 PM

And once you make a purchase don’t forget to invite us over for a drink or two, it’s a well known Russian tradition to “wash off” a new purchase so it won’t rust or break down... like smashing a bottle of champagne at the ship docks...
Old 12-19-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:

Honda pilot still in the lead, Toyota Highlander in very close second. The Infinite QX, Acura MDX and Jeep Grande Cherokee still to be tested come Friday.

Will let you know what she lands on.

A Jeep? Just to confirm what you already know? Rent a porta potty, slap 4 casters on the bottom, push it down a hill.

Just saved you a 5 minute test drive.