Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2019, 02:25 PM

Default They keep calling.

This number keeps calling all day today and it’s quite annoying. It’s a few numbers actually saying the same thing, the Service Canada nonsense and my file being investigated or criminal charges or whatever. And it is a machine, so I can’t even tell them to go **** themselves or explain otherwise how I feel about these calls. And they leave a message every time they call.

Wanted to post it in the peeves or something like that thread, but I can’t find it.

Ok, I am done.

P. S. If I block the number, would they have an ability to leave a message anyway?
Old 12-13-2019, 02:32 PM
Banned

Sometimes I answer FCI and they hang up and don't call back. Or answer in French they always hang up as punjabi and French are incompatible translations lost lamo.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:36 PM

Answer it press one wait till they answer say in a stern voice
"does your mother know your're a criminal"
They tell you P....off, slam the phone down and never call again

Worked for me

Old 12-13-2019, 02:39 PM

Press 1 and answer" RCMP,Sergeant Wilson here how can I help?".....
Crickets!LOL
Cat
Old 12-13-2019, 02:40 PM

I was getting the same thing; your SIN# has been used in criminal activity.

Ok sure. Blocked, reported.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-13-2019, 02:41 PM

Annoying as hell!!

I answer don’t say anything and just listen in a few few seconds hear a click and never get that call back.
Idk maybe their autodial thinks it’s an automated answering system and that doesn’t seem to interest the caller.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:48 PM
Banned

Block their numbers. Problem solved.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterdon View Post
Block their numbers. Problem solved.
They keep changing them to get around that. My policy is click, click. Someone told me Telus has a function where a caller has to punch in a three digit number to connect. Anyone have more info?

Grizz
Old 12-13-2019, 03:59 PM

I simply don’t answer any call that is not in my phone directory. If it’s important- they will leave a message. But they usually don’t.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:16 PM

Seems to have been a major increase in these types of calls lately - I've been getting about 3 a day for the last couple of weeks, always from a slightly different number but with the same 2 messages. Frustrating, and there doesn't seem to be much you can do other than send all calls that are not in your contact book to VM, which isn't an option for a lot of people (myself included).
Old 12-13-2019, 04:31 PM

Yeah I get them every few days ………. nice try scammers ………. lol

I did "hit 1" and started toying with the guy as he was trying to get me to western union "the money I owed" so "I wouldn't have to go to jail" and when I kept having him repeat the numbers he finally caught on I was messing with him and hung up on me. Sounded like a call center in Mumbai in the background. The guy I was talking to had a real distinct east Indian accent.

Have fun with it ………..
Old 12-13-2019, 04:39 PM

I got 4 calls from 1705 today .
Its pushing limit of course.
I have a web page as I have a local business that could be easily found online.
I just don't bother picking up all those calls..

S12
Old 12-13-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
I answer don’t say anything and just listen in a few few seconds hear a click and never get that call back.

Idk maybe their auto-dial thinks it’s an automated answering system and that doesn’t seem to interest the caller.
X2.....I do the same.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:53 PM

I blocked one last week, they were still able to leave voice mail. Luckily after 5 messages it stopped calling for now. It’s ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2019, 06:49 PM

I like the RCMP idea, but if they are somewhere in India and the like, don’t think they would care.

I too, pick up and am quite for some time they hang up and never call back. In this case the machine doesn’t care. 11 calls so far today and the day is not over yet, lol. I answered 3, the rest left a voicemail.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:09 PM

We apparently have a Do Not Call list.

Grizz
Old 12-13-2019, 08:13 PM

That’s the fish cops main headquarters.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I was getting the same thing; your SIN# has been used in criminal activity.

Ok sure. Blocked, reported.
OK, I get the BLOCKING thing, to whom do you REPORT to ??
Old 12-13-2019, 08:16 PM

Once in a while I answer and toy with them for as long as I can. It's doing public service, the longer the call time wasted, the longer the list of people not getting the call.

Nora Loreto 6:49 PM 8 Apr. 2018
Old 12-13-2019, 08:20 PM

Sooner or later the phone co's should develop a way to stifle these twit's. For one thing there should not be a way to spoof a phone # on call display, eliminate that loophole first. Then they should also block international calls that are obviously robo-dialing numerous numbers.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:30 PM

Ive been getting half a dozen calls a day from random numbers.

Its awful, they just change the numbers so you can try blocking them but they call back.

I would recommend not answering any calls that seem out of place hoping that they move on
Old 12-13-2019, 08:34 PM

I have been getting a ton of calls from Ont, Vancouver, & Grand Prairie. I don't answer anymore, & when I did there was never anyone there & would hang up. They don't leave any voicemail.

So I have reverted to just blocking the numbers. I only received one call today. But yes it's amazingly FRUSTRATING!!!!!!
Old 12-13-2019, 08:35 PM

The Federal Government just gave all the Canadian Telcoms a year (I believe?) to figure out how to eliminate spam callers.

I've had two in the last couple years, I block the number and never hear back from them
Old 12-13-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
I simply don’t answer any call that is not in my phone directory. If it’s important- they will leave a message. But they usually don’t.
I do the same thing. Voice mail was created for this.

BW
Old 12-13-2019, 08:51 PM

Being that my cell is my also my company phone I answer everything. On a few occasions I have had some numbers that I thought would turn out to be yet another robo-fraudster that actually turned out to be legitimate service calls from people that recently moved to town and still had out-of-province numbers, or from landlords who live elsewhere but have property here.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Yup x2
Old 12-13-2019, 11:29 PM

Wrapped up the day with 11 calls from them:

Pretty sure that’s a spam record for me over the phone, lol. 8 voicemails. Yes, frustrating.

I don’t see the point of blocking the number because if they leave me messages that I have to go through and delete, it’s easier to pick up and hang up if it’s something like what I experienced today (which I didn’t do, some unintentionally, but should have).

I am on the no call list. Very much doubt these calls came from Barrie, Ontario though.

I looked it up after Ken mentioning reporting, there is a way report these ****ers, but I don’t think anything would come of it. The 888 number on the screenshot above is where one would call to do so. I tried but they are open from 9 or whatever till 16:45 eastern time. After the working hours, they also said to remain on the line only if I gave the caller money or personal information or something like that. There is also a way to report it online, where you have to provide the number and/or a company name of the caller and your personal information, including your phone number, service provider, your name and address. I did for one of the numbers that called. Here is the link where you can report it: https://www.fightspam.gc.ca/eic/site...ng/MMCN-9EZV6S
Old 12-14-2019, 01:09 AM
Banned

Yes, you can block the numbers but you will still get the voicemail messages. The do not call list isn’t worth the time they’ve put into developing it. Myself, I answered them in my mother tongue and they stopped calling.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:15 AM
Banned

I’ve been getting the same call again and again. When I press one to respond and give them an ear full they hang up. *1 (778) 655-1023‬

It all started when I gave my number to a guy I call fart the messenger boy. My ex bosses rat I knew who he was from day one and played the fiddle accordingly. I wasn’t aware he was an online scammer as well, however I’m not surprised.

Last edited by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^; 12-14-2019 at 04:23 AM.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishpah View Post
Once in a while I answer and toy with them for as long as I can. It's doing public service, the longer the call time wasted, the longer the list of people not getting the call.
keep up the good work!

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/images/icons/icon14.gif