Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-06-2019, 06:40 AM

Default 7 1/2" Princess Auto Meat Slicer

So a friend of mine in Regina picked up a 7 1/2" meat slicer from Princess Auto this weekend on sale for only $50

Anyone have one of these? Is it worth buying for occasional use slicing roasts for jerky and that kind of thing?

I'm not sure how long they are on sale and if it's chainwide or just the Regina location, haven't seen it in the flyer.

I believe the regular price is $99.99
Old 02-06-2019, 06:50 AM

If you need some junk to take up room in your basement.... give er.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:54 AM

Default Definitely not industrial quality.

I’ve had mine for about a year no problems so far.
I don’t do a lot of slicing though just ham, roast and meat for making jerky.
50 bucks should be worth a go I got mine as a gift.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:22 AM

If it's junk I won't bother, I'd rather wait and buy something useful that will last.

But I would only use it occasionally, couple times a year.

I likely wouldn't slice more than 25 lbs a year tops.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:31 AM

A lot of princess auto stuff is crap - and priced accordingly... having said that, I’ve NEVER had a problem returning anything - even a year later.
I’d say for the $50, buy it. Use it, and if it sucks, return it later.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:06 AM

Conversely, what kind of slicers do the rest of you have or what would you reccomend? Are the Cabela's ones any good?
Or should a guy just stick to a jerky board and knife?

I've made lots of jerky just slicing it by hand but being able to get a consistent thickness would be great.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:14 AM

Default Princess Auto meat slicer

I bought mine last year for the same price Since then I have used the slicer for jerky , bacon , ham etc. Have had no issues. I have always believed you get what you payfor however in this case its worth the $50.00. Good Luck
Old 02-06-2019, 10:17 AM

Default Princess Auto Meat Slicer

I find if you slice your meats when partially frozen it slices more evenly Make sure your blade is serrated.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:22 AM

If you want a slider that works you’ll have to get a professional style. They’re heavy and expensive but worth it. I see some good deals on Kijiji every now and then.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:25 AM

Yeah I totally agree you get what you pay for "generally". But I have also bought items overpriced for what they were and some things that were good value for what you paid.

Princess Auto is like that in a lot of respects, lots of junk.... But some items that aren't bad for occasional use for what you paid for them.

I have a PA chop saw that I bought about 12 years ago for $80, it's done hours and hours of hard use cutting mostly drill stem and still works just fine
even though it was 1/3 the price of a comparable name brand saw. So that was good value.

I've also bought some stuff that was pure junk and not worth taking home even if they gave it to you.

I seldom return stuff because the closest PA is 80 miles away.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
If you need some junk to take up room in your basement.... give er.
So does this mean you have had one?
Old 02-06-2019, 04:55 PM

Don't go cheap not worth it. I have had the expensive heavy deli style and it's the Kat's AZZ. My ex took it with her and now I have a cheap model. It works but you will never change if you get a real one. Wish I would have hid it . New one is somewhat flimsy, other one was solid and a lot bigger blade. Did I say heavy? Hell ya.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:30 PM

They came back on sale in a recent flyer so I had a buddy pick one up for me. Hoping to pick it up from him tomorrow night.

I’ll let you guys know what I think once I have used it.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:48 PM

Generally speaking they work, however the spacing tolerances are poor-meaning that there is a substantial heel of meat that is left on the guard or gets pulled down and wedges itself into the overly wide gap between the blade and the guard
Old 12-13-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
Conversely, what kind of slicers do the rest of you have or what would you reccomend? Are the Cabela's ones any good?
Or should a guy just stick to a jerky board and knife?

I've made lots of jerky just slicing it by hand but being able to get a consistent thickness would be great.
I bought a stainless steel slicer at Canadian tire 5 years ago and it hasn’t missed a beat. Lots of power and the blade has remained razor sharp. I think it was $89. I will check what brand it is but it has worked great for years.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:56 PM

I have a Chef's choice that I bought a few years ago. 7" Solingen steel blade. Think is was around $250. Not a professional one like you see at a deli, but works great and slices the meat down to the last nub.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:05 PM

Looked at their on sale dehydrator, gave it a pass, flimsy plastic construction, doesn't look like it would last. I've got a cheap meat slicer, for occasional use it's acceptable.

Grizz
Old 12-13-2019, 10:28 PM

got mine from there over 2 years ago has cut a lot of meat still going

mack
Old 03-28-2020, 04:12 PM

I’ve had the chance to use this thing a little more. At this point I’d have to give it a favourable review for the price point.
It most definitely is NOT a commercial or heavy duty unit that would see commercial use in a deli or butcher shop. Those I have used in years gone by in my cousins meat shops where I worked in university etc.

But it DOES perform reasonably well for what I’m doing with it.

I buy cheap black forest hams and slice them up for lunch meat. 1/3 of the price of buying it from the deli.

I’ve also been slicing up beef roasts from a bull that stifled himself and I butchered a few years ago and turning them into jerky.

This thing is light and somewhat flimsy but it cuts well and performs better than I would expect for $59
Old 03-28-2020, 05:31 PM

I have had a Chefs Choice 610 slicer for many years. Wish it had a bigger blade than 7.25” for some jobs. However has never missed a beat, lots of power and quiet. The last retail price I saw was $250. Over the years Used it lots for jerky, trick is to slice meat in semi frozen state. Now have a jerky slicer attachment for my LEM grinder, wow that is a wicked machine. Makes 12 x 1/4” slices of meat as fast as you can drop the meat down the chute.

Only use the slicer for bread and home made salami, pretty easy stuff, and it continues to do a great job.

I have purchased lots of stuff from princess auto, and agree with what as others have said: you get what you pay for. The $50 slicer will probably work, just ok.