Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Side note- certified cheques can be stopped/reversed in certain situations for up to 10 days. The reason for the stoppage generally has to be that the account owner states it is not an authorized signature; fraud/forgery. This is what the banks say, but not what they do.
With sketchy people I accept cash, money order or etransfer only. I recommend doing the same.
Thanks for pointing that out. I figured many people wouldn't know the certifying 'trick', but of course you've got the stages beyond that. I guess I should consider myself lucky about not having experienced very much of people being scoundrels to me, I'm sure a career in that line would have no shortage of stories of some peoples depraved behaviour towards others.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Lol!!!!

Once upon a time, there was this guy who was a low down, good for nothing filandering drunken SOB......WELL, he had a friend named Ken and this book is about him....
THIS! Right here is the reason you need to write a book, you are the sharpest funniest smartest quickest witted smartass I have ever had the honor of befriending!!!

Too good man.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-15-2019, 11:03 AM

oops, double post
Old 12-15-2019, 11:56 AM

Ken is our very own Chuck Norris.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
Ken is our very own Chuck Norris.
Nope that's Huntnstuff.
No bs.

I'm just a mediator.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-15-2019, 03:59 PM

I really like the snippet about dead beat dads not paying the amount owed....

And being hunted down..
Old 12-15-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
I really like the snippet about dead beat dads not paying the amount owed....

And being hunted down..
No hunting down occurred, just an impartial and professional explanation of the downsides of their not paying and making it go to court. That plus some mediation. In court they'd be responsible for other court costs if they lost, a minimum amount of interest and filing fees. One thing I failed to even note to Ken was that my employees who helped me on the project both now live quite far away. My paying for them travel here to attend court as witnesses would have just made things way worse for the debtor. If I had to fly my brother here from Australia & return his exposure would increase substantially! The other plumber who helped now lives on Vancouver Island. Perhaps not accepting the settlement offer & bringing them both here for trial would have been just desserts for the scoundrel ?? But at the same time it would be a financial risk for me if the court judgement did not go my way (highly unlikely, but lots of $$ to consider if it didn't).
Old 12-15-2019, 04:59 PM

Default How do you recognise a low life

So you know not to accept checks?
Shouldnt need this info but it does happen. Only 2 bad checks here on the funny farm in 30 years. From 2 brothers. Bad part is they were both business checks from his painting business and when I found out he was a painter I asked if he wanted to paint the ceiling of my kennel which he did. Paid him $1100 for taping mudding sanding and painting two coats. A week after he cashed my check he wanted to do a shoot with his brother (had some kind of disability) I helped him find the last 5 or 6 birds by bringing my dogs out after 2 hours. Upon leaving and paying for the day he wanted to book for pheasants the following day as well. His wife called me that night to cut the shoot in half as with a baby on the way he could not afford another big shoot. He paid for both shoots with separate business checks for his painting business. Both were returned NSF and when I called he blamed the bank his wife and everyone else.
Got tired of excuses and not returning my calls (even the wife after a while) so took both checks to RCMP in Strathmore to try to get charges laid. The officer on desk I talked to said checks of any kind are not legal tender so if I dont want NSF checks stop taking checks as it is civil matter not criminal.
End of that month I was waiting at his bank and certified both nsf checks ($800+) and apparently took the money he was planing on paying his employee (brother) and his paint supplier.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
End of that month I was waiting at his bank and certified both nsf checks ($800+) and apparently took the money he was planing on paying his employee (brother) and his paint supplier.

I had a couple of bad cheques from an old tenant. I discovered that trick about going to their branch and seeing if it can be certified, but after a few visits I gave up trying. I tried to time it with likely paydays, but to no avail. Interestingly I saw the womanès name pop up in the news this years, an extremely unique name (she was the only time I had ever heard either her first or last name), she had been arrested at the border trying to smuggle in numerous kilo's of fentanyl up from the US. Her excuse? SHe tought she was smuggling large bundles of cash rather than drugs.... About as plausible as her explanations why her rent cheques were bad in 1998 or 1999.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:23 PM

Banks dont do that anymore.

Old 12-15-2019, 07:13 PM

Any chance of collecting from a dead beat mother? Been waiting for a payment for almost 13 years. If you really have to..... you can use excessive force...
Old 12-16-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Any chance of collecting from a dead beat mother? Been waiting for a payment for almost 13 years. If you really have to..... you can use excessive force...
Excessive force costs more

But seriously, and this is the only time I will ever mention this, we are 95% into the worst time of the year to get money from anyone. I have already heard 'you are doing THIS at Christmas?' when she had avoided paying for 2 years previous.

If you have not received payment in the last 90 days, get on top of it immediately. If let slip into the next year you will be looking at February or March because they will be paying off credit cards.

Old 12-16-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
If they have an income file it with MEP. They will garnish the wages and and keep all tax money they could have coming back to them.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:53 PM

Ken, I may have to contact you. We have a client that has owed us money for a few months and claims he will pay us when he's ready... I'm thinking he may claim bankruptcy before he pays us...
Old 12-16-2019, 01:19 PM

I also might Need Kens Help, I sold a vehicle to a couple, every month they paid me the monthly, payment, now after 9 months, they stopped paying for the vehicle, last payment was last February, still waiting for the the last 3 payments, to conclude the purchase.