Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-10-2018, 07:13 PM

Default 2016 Tacoma reviews

I am seriously thinking of getting a taco. The one I'm looking at is a TRD Sport. , has low km and looks great. I have always been told to stay away from the first year of any vehicle.( the truck has been redesigned). So any 2016 Tacoma owners out there care to let me know how they like theirs so far. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:04 AM

I thought there where a few new gen Tacoma owners on here.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
I am seriously thinking of getting a taco. The one I'm looking at is a TRD Sport. , has low km and looks great. I have always been told to stay away from the first year of any vehicle.( the truck has been redesigned). So any 2016 Tacoma owners out there care to let me know how they like theirs so far. Thanks.
I have a 2017, I love it. There are issues that you should know about. Gas millage is bad, and transmission issues. Toyota has an odd shift map on these trucks to maximize gas mileage. Many people complain about the constant gear shifting. It doesn't bother some, but others have sold their truck over it. There is a device you can buy to fix the issue. Shift sense pro...

That said, I still love mine.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:17 AM

Not buying a vehicle to start working on it and trying to make it better rite off the get go. That trani issue sounds disappointing.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:26 AM

I have a 2016, my dad has the 2017. I’d be careful of the 2016, I’ve had like every part replaced so far, lots of recalls and TSB’s, from water leaking in the cab from the brake light, low transmission fluid, diff was recalled, replaced the crank position sensor, ect.

Truck is good looking, I like it. It’s my second Tacoma, be prepared for it to shift a lot on the highway. The 3.5L works hard on any kind of inclined or head wind.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:32 AM

They do have a 2017 trd off road too that might be worth looking at.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblackfx4 View Post
I have a 2016, my dad has the 2017. I’d be careful of the 2016, I’ve had like every part replaced so far, lots of recalls and TSB’s, from water leaking in the cab from the brake light, low transmission fluid, diff was recalled, replaced the crank position sensor, ect.

Truck is good looking, I like it. It’s my second Tacoma, be prepared for it to shift a lot on the highway. The 3.5L works hard on any kind of inclined or head wind.
How's your dad making out with his?
Old 03-11-2018, 10:42 AM

The fact they are both at a dodge dealership might be a bad sign.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:51 AM

I just cross shopped the Tacoma when I was considering moving from an SUV to a truck with a proper bed. As previously mentioned, the automatic transmission is programmed for fuel economy above all else. The gears seemed tall and it will fight you to stay in the highest possible gear. The 3.5L Atkinson engine is peaky, but with the torque of a wristwatch down low. Put the two together, and you have a truck that struggles to even maintain highway speeds in top gear, with a transmission that is all over the place. If the incessant gear-hunting drove me nuts on a 20 minute test drive, I can only imagine having to live with it. Doesn't bother some, but it was a deal breaker for me. Disappointing, because I really, really wanted one. If the 6MT was offered in 4-Door Off-Road trim, Toyota would probably have a sale, but alas, people like me that prefer to stir their own gears are a dying breed.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:27 PM

My 2011 f150 is looking like a gem. I had a 2003 4Runner and loved it. That's why I was thinking Toyota was the one . But after my research looks like new gen Tacoma is a dud.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:13 PM

I might have to check out Frontier. Still hard to beat the look of the Tacoma but even a hot woman doesn't look good after you find out she's got a bad personality.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:22 PM

Love my '17 Offroad.
You can still get one with three pedals.. eliminates the transmission woes.

Longtime Toyota fans have been complaining about mileage for years, now Toyota is trying new engine/trans combinations to try to satisfy them. Lot of complaints about the 3.5L being gutless in the low end - I don't find it too bad, and I also get 20mpg on average.

Boatloads of info and mod ideas on tacoma world in the third gen section.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:33 PM

If you are looking for an as is truck I would avoid it, there is a reason so many mods are available. My good friend works at a toyota dealership so I almost bought one and was going to get him to do the work. Ended up getting a full size for the same price because of payload.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:09 PM

In order to go green toyota began using a vegatation type coating rather then petrolium. Not sure if they stopped..... if you live in an area with mice.... watch out this wire coating is there new favorite food.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I might have to check out Frontier. Still hard to beat the look of the Tacoma but even a hot woman doesn't look good after you find out she's got a bad personality.
X2

I own a '15 XTerra P4X, and I can attest, as far as midsize truck gassers go, nobody can touch Nissan's VQ40DE engine. It's a torque monster with a curve that's as flat as the prairies. It will happily troll around town all day in 4th. The only problem is that it's thirsty, but you don't buy a truck for fuel economy. In P4X trim, you're getting a lot of off-road goodies, and dare I say will go anywhere a TRD Pro will, and is by far the value king on the market today. Definitely worth a look.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:18 PM

I get 20mpg with my v8 5 l f150. I want reliability not mods. I think I'll take a Frontier for a rip. Tacoma look great but I have a week stomach when it
Comes to car issues. Sorry Toyota but .NEXT
Old 03-11-2018, 07:48 PM

I’m surprised the Tacoma’s have had such issues. Everyone always raves about how good they are. Guess you can’t believe everything you read...
Old 03-11-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
How's your dad making out with his?

He likes his, less recalls than mine
Old 03-11-2018, 08:37 PM

I reading reviews on the Frontier and the auto trend types just kill it. But only because they haven't made any changes to it in years. That's what I'm looking for. Something reliable.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10aciousB View Post
X2

I own a '15 XTerra P4X, and I can attest, as far as midsize truck gassers go, nobody can touch Nissan's VQ40DE engine. It's a torque monster with a curve that's as flat as the prairies. It will happily troll around town all day in 4th. The only problem is that it's thirsty, but you don't buy a truck for fuel economy. In P4X trim, you're getting a lot of off-road goodies, and dare I say will go anywhere a TRD Pro will, and is by far the value king on the market today. Definitely worth a look.
So if you don't mind me asking . How has it been as far as reliability goes . From what I can gather none of the other guys can beat it in that department. And the gas consumption isn't that bad at all. The ridge line is great but I can't consider it a truck. More like ah, it has gender issues.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:16 PM

Default Truck

I have a 2014 Frontier, with the 4 L engine. It’s a super crew cab Sv model. It’s got just over 60k on it now, and has been very reliable. I had one warranty issue with the fuel pump. I don’t drive much over the speed limit, and can get 23- 24 mpg. Around town about 18mpg. About the only negatives I could say is the interior is plain, but functionable, the other complaint is the turning radius is very large for a small truck. One other complaint is very little in aftermarket stuff for the Frontier.
I do find the interior to be quite roomy, for my fishing gear and my dog.
I am not at all disappointed that I bought the truck, but may consider going back to a full size, or a Chevy Colorado.
For sure you should try a Frontier, but the Colorado has a lot more bling, and reports are they are decent on fuel.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I’m surprised the Tacoma’s have had such issues. Everyone always raves about how good they are. Guess you can’t believe everything you read...

They were the best 1/4 ton ever, and one of the best vehicles period. Up until 2015. There is a reason 2010s still cost north of 20gs. People would mod them because they wanted to; new ones are modded because you have to.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:50 PM

All new viechles have issues. The tacoma is no different. Still it's a toyota and I'd put the long term reliablity up against any truck, but I'm a toyota disciple. I even tought the toyota production system for work! Love them.

The trans thing is just the shift map logic. They probably had to do it to meet some government green law of some sort. The motor has plenty of power, you just need the device to override the factory shift map. I just installed it last week....different truck now, no shifting or power issues. So don't run from the tacoma it is still a great truck. I'd buy it all over again
Old 03-12-2018, 08:51 AM

33k on my 17 off road now. Runs good, yes initially tranny was a dog, but it has learned my driving habits, and shifts better. Not perfect yet, but much better. Gas mileage is ok anywhere from 10-13 L/100Km, depending on outside temps, idling, speed. If I drove under 100kmhr I would be mid 9's, but who drives those speeds. Power is good, if I really want more I put it in tow mode, which I did a lot when I first got it, but not anymore.

Truck has not been in since day 1. I do my own oil changes. Decent truck, first import. Ran full size gm prior to this, only changed because I wanted a small truck and the Colorado didn't float my boat. I would buy Tacoma again.

I'd say maybe wait for the new Ranger, or Frontier, but they won't have much track record either.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:58 AM

Just a comment, my 2001 Dodge Ram 250 diesel now 17 years old with 360k km only been into dealer twice since I owned it, last was for $60 fan belt. Hope this gives you some reference between good truck and wreck.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Just a comment, my 2001 Dodge Ram 250 diesel now 17 years old with 360k km only been into dealer twice since I owned it, last was for $60 fan belt. Hope this gives you some reference between good truck and wreck.
I’m surprised a dealer woul sell you a fan belt and then change it for $60. Fair price for the belt but they would have to have charged you something for install. Last fan belt I bought was 80$ and I installed it myself so I wouldn’t have to pay someone else a stupid amount of money to do such simple maintenance.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
So if you don't mind me asking . How has it been as far as reliability goes . From what I can gather none of the other guys can beat it in that department. And the gas consumption isn't that bad at all. The ridge line is great but I can't consider it a truck. More like ah, it has gender issues.
I've had zero issues with reliability thus far. The VQ series of engines are pretty well known for their durability, and for delivering good, linear power and torque. Basically they took the engine out of the 350Z, gave it some different internals and stroked it to 4.0L, so it's a proper truck engine. Not just a car engine in a truck (re: Wrangler). They are known for being thirsty though. For me personally, mileage hasn't been terrible, but not great either. I average 15-15.5L/100km mixed driving. 16-16.2L/100km when the roof rack is kitted for camping/hunting. I have a 6MT in mine, and I believe the Frontier is a 5AT, so that could affect numbers a tad.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:59 PM

Call a spade a spade .....

For a small pickup truck I don't think anyone can argue, Toyota's track record of resale value, reliability and performance is far ahead of the rest of the small trucks out there. Nobody in their right minds can compare any other small truck against a Toyota.

YES - ALL new model years with redesigns of ALL of the manufacturers are annoying - that's not a Toyota thing alone - and the fact these "issues" are annoyances that can be easily rectified with a programing change versus stuff "blowing up" like it does with other manufacturers is a testament to Toyota as far as I'm concerned.

It's for this reason I will never again buy a new redesign model year ever again.

If I wanted a small truck tomorrow (I drive a full size) I would opt for a Toyota and have zero regret doing it.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:45 PM

So I drove a 2016 trd sport and a 2017 trd offroad. The 2016 was a nice but idled rough and the body roll was way too much for a truck. Any truck. I like the way my f150 handles much better. The 2017 was a better ride body roll was less, idle was smoother. Had enough bells and whistles to keep a guy occupied for a week. But it was not practical for my needs. I don't need all that stuff and the box size would drive me nuts. So I'm still looking. Maybe a 2017 trd spot. I'll
Still want to check out the Frontier but 15l/100 km is a little to thirsty.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
So I drove a 2016 trd sport and a 2017 trd offroad. The 2016 was a nice but idled rough and the body roll was way too much for a truck. Any truck. I like the way my f150 handles much better. The 2017 was a better ride body roll was less, idle was smoother. Had enough bells and whistles to keep a guy occupied for a week. But it was not practical for my needs. I don't need all that stuff and the box size would drive me nuts. So I'm still looking. Maybe a 2017 trd spot. I'll
Still want to check out the Frontier but 15l/100 km is a little to thirsty.

So the off-road has bilstien suspension, the sport has hatachi cheep shocks and the SR5/Limited have the same shocks. Most guys prefer the off-road.