Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-23-2017, 12:12 PM

Default First restricted, how long for new PAL?

Howdy,

I just purchased my first restricted handgun. I have had my restricted PAL for a few years. Currently waiting for the transfer to go through which they (the merchant) tells me SHOULD be about a week.

I was told (by the merchant) and I believe to be true but please correct if not that:
-Once the transfer is approved I can pickup the gun and take it home.
-I cannot take the gun to the range until I receive a new PAL with the "conditions" (ATT?) on it.

The merchant submitted my range membership with the application for the transfer.

So finally to the question, how long does the new PAL take to arrive?

I am not in a hurry but wondering if I am safe to sign up for a course that is taking place in about a month.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2017, 12:25 PM

I'd call the AB and ask them for advise. You should still be able to get a long term Authority To Transport despite not having the new license. I don't claim to be an expert in this area, so hopefully someone else might chime in. Besides, my new "conditions" on my newest license is a piece of paper that I'm supposed to carry. In this day and age of electronic marvels, you'd think our government could do better than a piece of paper with new conditions printed on it. All the new conditions state regarding this is that an ATT permit is no longer required in paper form.

Best of luck, it's hard to own a new gun and not be able to try it out. Are you planning on taking your Black Badge Course?
Old 01-23-2017, 12:28 PM

Thanks Scott. I guess I will wait for the transfer to go through and then call and see what my options are.

Yes, I would like to take the Black Badge Course Feb 25/26 in Edmonton if possible. Just don't want to pay the $300.00 and not be able to go.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren32 View Post
Thanks Scott. I guess I will wait for the transfer to go through and then call and see what my options are.

Yes, I would like to take the Black Badge Course Feb 25/26 in Edmonton if possible. Just don't want to pay the $300.00 and not be able to go.
There's no reason why you shouldn't be ready for a trip to the range in a week or so. The transfer for my last restricted, a rifle, when through in a day or two, and I got the registration certificate in the mail roughly 10 days after receiving my rifle in the mail. The CFO people are actually pretty helpful, give them a call and see what options they suggest. Better to get advise from them anyway.

The CFO has emailed me a PDF copy of my last ATT when I needed it, so once everything is in place, it shouldn't take too long. Besides, some of those black badge courses fill up quick!
Old 01-23-2017, 12:32 PM
Banned

I think all said and done it was about 2 1/2 weeks after I made the purchase and submitted the paperwork before I could pick it. If and when you buy another one it is a lot faster, as quick as later that day if you buy early in the AM and call them in the mid to late afternoon. The store I bought from told me that it has been that fast before but very rare and normally it's a 2 day wait.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:35 PM

Thanks for the info Scott and Scott
Old 01-23-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Howdy,

I just purchased my first restricted handgun. I have had my restricted PAL for a few years. Currently waiting for the transfer to go through which they (the merchant) tells me SHOULD be about a week.

I was told (by the merchant) and I believe to be true but please correct if not that:
-Once the transfer is approved I can pickup the gun and take it home.
-I cannot take the gun to the range until I receive a new PAL with the "conditions" (ATT?) on it.

The merchant submitted my range membership with the application for the transfer.

So finally to the question, how long does the new PAL take to arrive?

I am not in a hurry but wondering if I am safe to sign up for a course that is taking place in about a month.

Thanks
My new PAL with attached conditions showed up within a week.

Whacha get? Whacha get?
Old 01-23-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerySgtJackson View Post
My new PAL with attached conditions showed up within a week.

Whacha get? Whacha get?
Ohhhhh that's good news, THANKS!

CZ Shadow 2 urban grey

Didn't get it from Wolverine but ... this one

https://www.wolverinesupplies.com/Pr...mm-Urban-Grey-
Old 01-23-2017, 04:13 PM
Banned

Very nice. I have a scaled back version of that basically. I have, because the wife actually wanted it, a IWI Jericho 941. You'll like that CZ.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Ohhhhh that's good news, THANKS!

CZ Shadow 2 urban grey

Didn't get it from Wolverine but ... this one

https://www.wolverinesupplies.com/Pr...mm-Urban-Grey-
You'll be the envy of everyone in your black badge course.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:58 AM

Default Restricted goodies

Shouldn't be long? My first was,a glock 17, then into 1911 platforms. So much fun, but what a pain to deal with in the long run with renewals, and range fees.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the help!

I have very limited handgun experience but I did like the shadow 2 best of the limited number of guns I shot. And it was the only one that printed what could be considered "groups" for me LOL. I shot Glock 17 / Glock 19 / S&W M&P / Sig P226 and the shadow 2. My second choice would have been the P226.

Anyway ... the Feb Black Badge course if full so I signed up for March. Should have lots of time now.

I will post back how long things take

Thanks again
Old 02-22-2017, 01:38 PM

Just a quick follow up with the time line in case anyone finds this thread in a search.

Jan 23 purchased first restricted.

Feb 1 got a letter from the RCMP that said they did not have my range membership information. I called and reminded them it was sent with the transfer application. I did not re send it, just told them they already had it.

Feb 2 transfer was e-mailed to me.

Feb 14 new PAL with conditions came in the mail

Feb 16 registration card for restricted firearm came in the mail.

So about 3.5 weeks

Thanks
Old 02-22-2017, 04:09 PM

Thanks for the follow up, so many don't! Have fun and enjoy!