Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2019, 10:04 PM

Default Twins

So I was lucky enough to have had a twin boys in December. It was an unexpected pregnancy and having twins was a double whammy lol. I’m happy my family has grown to four children and I’ve got two more hunting and fishing partners. Solid sleep has eluded both of us for a month now one child is not to bad but twins has been a steep learning curve.
Anyone have twins or multiples and some survival tips/stories that can help a guy out?
Old 01-05-2019, 10:10 PM

Good for you and he Mrs. Can't image yet I've been privy to a a couple Family & friends having twins. Busy time for sure and as you've mentioned, not too far down the road you've got hunting partners. Embrace the heck out of it.

Congrats again!
Old 01-05-2019, 10:17 PM

Default twins

Yup....Sure do. Identical boys.Enjoy every sleepless minute,it will come. They soon become their best friends and will always have a play friend. Then just wait till they begin their "twin talk".
You will find that every granny will want to ask that question "Are they twins?"
Just don't dress them alike. Enjoy!
Old 01-05-2019, 10:28 PM

Not December but Oct 30th for me, sounds like the same deal as you,....going from 2 to 4, things are a bit crazy with 4 kids under 5 years of age and the only thing I know so far is it is harder than one, although it's still early on for me it seems as though when things get bad and you think you cant handle it anymore you seem find another gear....they will fall asleep eventually Haha, that and when you are frustrated it's easy to forget how hard it can be on our women especially if you have a stubborn one like me that won't say anything until it's too late,....I'm back to work and she is with them and feeding them constantly kind of thing.... anyways best of luck,....oh and keep your boys away from my girls Haha

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2019, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy 0-0-7 View Post
Yup....Sure do. Identical boys.Enjoy every sleepless minute,it will come. They soon become their best friends and will always have a play friend. Then just wait till they begin their "twin talk".
You will find that every granny will want to ask that question "Are they twins?"
Just don't dress them alike. Enjoy!
X100! My boys are red head teenagers now.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:32 AM

I do enjoy every minute with my boys such a joy to have except for the blood curdling screams one can let out but that’s what earplugs are for lol.

No worries Pavilion the wife is outlining them dating twin sisters lol.

She’s love dressing them the same thankfully they don’t look alike at all that had me pretty worried.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:39 AM

My first kids were fraternal twins. It was rough. We survived it and it's the best now. The first 6 mos was the most tough. Get into a routine and stick to it. Then you will get some sleep.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:51 AM

I can kinda relate! lol we didn't have regular twins but Irish twins! The boys are 10 months apart. The year after the second one was born was somewhat of a gong show! they are now 14,15 and best friends!
Old 01-06-2019, 11:02 AM

Congrats!! i have twin boys too. (faternal). They 10 years old now, 14 year old daughter and a 6 year old son. 4 great fishing buddies.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:31 AM

Mirrored identical twin boys are 6 years old now. And man having one kid after that was such easy work. They never run out of things to do and talk about with each other it is insane. Personality wise they are opposite of each other.

Congrats and yeah you will get stopped everywhere you go. I had trouble telling them apart the first 3 years and until now sometimes I make the mistake of calling one by the other's name and they get mad.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:03 PM

Congratulations, identical twin boys here, all grown up and left the house. They have a bond that will never be broken, they do develop their own personalities. Dressing them.the same caused confusion, we developed a green and blue color code. The negative are no hand me downs, two sets of same sized hockey gear every year. The positives far outweigh the negatives, plus we have 2 more outdoorsmen non-NDP voters. Enjoy it, raising them were good days. There are "Twin Clubs" for the mothers, my wife enjoyed the club. One last note, twins tend to get a lote more attention than their siblings, it just happens.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:48 PM

one of the biggest lifesavers for us was getting our girls to have matching sleep schedules.It was so hard to get any sleep when they both had different times.WE were given some advice to wake them up at the same time and one of the toughest things to do was let them cry themselves to sleep.The first time we did this was really tough.And keep the kids out of your bedroom unless you dont have other rooms.I understand you have raised other kids and by no means does anything im saying is the right way.We followed a book called baby wise and it helped alot.Listen to other parents with multiples and pick and choose what would work best for you.Hope all goes well with you and your family.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:35 PM

We had identical mirror image twins here also. In their mid 30's now but pure joy. Wouldn't change a minute of it.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 01-07-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masalma View Post
I had trouble telling them apart the first 3 years and until now sometimes I make the mistake of calling one by the other's name and they get mad.
Twins or not I think that’s just a parental thing. I’m 3 years and 9 years younger than my other brothers and get called by their names!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2019, 10:47 AM

Congrats!
We had fraternal twin boys almost 16 years ago (Birthdays are next Monday the 14th!) the time goes by so fast. Just stick to a routine, for them and yourselves. Keep a journal for feed times, naptimes, diaper changes appt's. etc. ask for help, go on dates with spouse, first two years are the toughest. Join your local twin, triplets and more groups. The sales for clothing, toys, parties and coffee groups are amazing for deals and support.

Our twins were preemies and spent one month in the NICU. I returned to full time work after one year of mat leave. We had two border collies as well, that was our 4 kids. I used to hate it when people said your lives are so busy but we didn't know any different that was our reality, we coped.

Our boys went to K together, separated in Grade 1, big mistake, and together for 2-6. Junior high they shared classes different home rooms, same as for high school. The boys share a similar circle of friends.

Our boys are best friends, and the best part is we all enjoy the outdoors and activities together.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:50 PM

Congratulations. We have fraternal twin girls that are 14 now. Shortly after we brought them home, we made a point of waking the second one for feeding if one woke up. After about 6 weeks, they were on the same schedule and sleeping for a good portion of the night. They were pretty good at keeping each other entertained when babies and toddlers. Fist fights were always evenly matched .

The biggest challenge I remember was going through the stage when they were old enough to run around and not old enough to listen. When I would take them out of their car seats I would have to pin one against the vehicle with my knee while I got the other one loose or they would bolt in opposite directions.

Gerry Burnie
Old 01-07-2019, 05:05 PM

Thanks for the response and tips were trying our hardest to keep them on the same schedule for the most part it’s going great. One boy is pretty chilled out the othe has an incredible scream I’m sure the neighbors wonder if he’s getting beaten lol. They’ve just graduated from two hour sleep intervals to four hour ones hopefully they double it again soon. I’m looking forward to watching them grow up and see there personalities come out. See if they develop twin language and other close traits. Like a few of you mentioned everywhere we go people of all walks stop to check them out.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:30 PM

Default Parenting, the toughest job out there.

I had twins right out of the gate one boy and one girl. (Instant Family).
The first 6 months I was a zombie at work. They were five weeks early and stayed in the hospital for four weeks I would go home and shower than go to the hospital and sleep there then go to work. Never took a day off work as I was apprenticing. Looking back I wish I had taken a few days off here and there.
Regardless of being a sleepless reck for 6 months it was a very satisfying adventure.
My daughter was very content and quiet. And my son could just scream we nick named him (Grumpy Baby).
Just remember to take a ton of photos to remember all the memories you may forget because you were exhausted.
The toddler battle royals were hilarious and I still laugh at the pictures 14 years later.
Don’t forget to ask family or friends for a occasional break once and a while just to catch up on sleep.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:11 AM
Banned

Congratulations to you and your partner. It is really a rare blessings to have twins. I and my wife were lucky to have twins back in May 2016 Boy and Girl from her first pregnancy. Congratulations once more.