Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-24-2013, 04:07 PM

Default CFO taking FOREVER

Anyone else have any issues with the CFO taking over 6 months to get background checks and what not done? My better half has been waiting since December for her PAL/RPAL and they keep saying they are waiting on background checks to be complete. They've contacted all her references about 3 months ago! What gives?!?!
Old 07-24-2013, 04:34 PM

Same deal with my PAL since apr 13
Old 07-24-2013, 04:39 PM

If it takes longer than two months, they have revealed your sketchy past and are deciding what their next move is.......

Just kidding!

I imagine they just have a backlog, but I would follow up with some phone calls to that office out East, if that is still the office doing it.

Magically, after I called, my process was sped up and they contacted my references and things moved along. I think my application was literally forgot in a paper shuffle for a month or two, yours could be also.

Good luck!
Old 07-24-2013, 04:41 PM

LMAO... its my wife's application. Its here in Alberta now. She's been calling the Edmonton office at least once a week for the past 3 months. All the references have been interviewed.

To my knowledge, she doesn't have a sketchy past... but hey! hahaha...
Old 07-24-2013, 05:32 PM

I'm waiting on an RPAL renewal sent middle of June and called today. They said lucky me. I was approved Monday so now I'll have it in two weeks. If Canada Post can find me.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:40 PM

Contact your MP's office, give them your story, and the time line.
Ask if they can spur things along on your behalf.
Sit back and watch things get moving very quickly there after.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-24-2013, 05:47 PM

Wait is pathetic, and totally random. My son and his buddies all just recently applied. Son got his in 6 weeks. One other boy waited 10 months and completely missed the 2012 hunting season. One other boy who applied a little more recently has been waiting 6 months now. He got in the habit of calling every couple of weeks. I think that got them mad because he has now been told his application has been moved to some second level or reference checking. Took them 6 months to get there? It's a disgrace.

Would be nice to see the NFA tackle this. Perhaps they could collect names of everyone waiting over , say 3 or 4 months, and go at it with the firearms folks, with the help of some sympathetic MP's and government ministers.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta-pg View Post
Anyone else have any issues with the CFO taking over 6 months to get background checks and what not done? My better half has been waiting since December for her PAL/RPAL and they keep saying they are waiting on background checks to be complete. They've contacted all her references about 3 months ago! What gives?!?!

Yes, that is about average. Seriously.

When people b*tch and chine about gun owners, especially handgun owners, I love to point out to them that from the time you decide you want to get into competitive pistol shooting, and get your first handgun, it takes 1 year from start to finish.

It is NOT a fast easy road that the LIEberal media would have people believe that it is.

I am not saying it is right, but 6 months is not too bad. I did my PAL/RPAL and I have a spotless record...... It took the BC CFO 6 months before I was approved, another 52 days before I received my card, and then another 40 days before I was approved to take my first pistol purchase home.

Almost 9 months total.

So the next time someone complains about how easy it is to get a handgun, tell them you can get one in Edmonton illegally in 15 minutes.....

BUT if you want to be a LEGAL handgun owner, the process takes longer (than it should).

I feel the pain. I really really do. But on that note, please congratulate your wife on taking the path to firearms ownership. It is a remarkably brave step for most ladies, and she deserves all the support the firearms community can for taking this journey!
Old 07-24-2013, 07:40 PM

PS, you CAN speed up the process slightly by explaining to the CFO that your wife wants to start shooting competitively in IPSC, and she has already placed a deposit on a gun.

Don't know why exactly this helps, but it seems to.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:45 PM

I'm a bit confused on the application process.

I took my non-restricted and restricted tests last week in Edson. I paid $80 each. So now I have to fill out the paperwork, get my 2 references to sign it, get a picture taken, and the part where I'm confused, mail another cheque for $80 or $160?
Old 07-24-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post

I took my non-restricted and restricted tests last week in Edson. I paid $80 each. So now I have to fill out the paperwork, get my 2 references to sign it, get a picture taken, and the part where I'm confused, mail another cheque for $80 or $160?

Re Read your application. If you are submitting for BOTH the PAL and RPAL at the same time it is about 95.00 you have to send the government IIRC.

You need a passport quality photo to send.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Juice? View Post
Re Read your application. If you are submitting for BOTH the PAL and RPAL at the same time it is about 95.00 you have to send the government IIRC.

You need a passport quality photo to send.
its actually $80, I sent mine PAL/RPAL on june 14th, they got it on the 17th and the $80 came out of my credit card on July 8. I called them yesterday to check on the process and was told that it is still being processed and some one will contact me. they couldn't tell me anything
Old 07-24-2013, 09:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post

ya the money you paid is pretty much for the instructor to supposedly teach you. in other words its for that piece of paper with your test scores on it. you pay another $80 or just put down your credit card number and be safe

Last edited by Icatchfish; 07-24-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:20 PM

No rhyme nor reason on the time delay. I waited 18 months for my RPAL after submitting my application and I have a clean record and all my paperwork was in order. A buddy of mine has an assault conviction and a weapons offense in his background, submitted his application 5 months after I did, but received his RPAL 3 months before me. The applications are definitely not processed on a first come, first serve basis.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:42 PM
Banned

Default Canadian tire

Mine took 10 weeks from sending in papers to reciving both pal and r pal... That was in feb... I heard all canadian tires re making employees get their pal so there's like thousands of new applicants all t once... Maybe why there's a backlog
Old 07-24-2013, 11:46 PM

It should take no longer than 28 days before the card is mailed out, I'd love to see the NFA and/or any other interested parties tackle the matter. I am not saying it's normally done in that amont of time, simply that it should be and anymore should create an uproar!

Here is some information I found from the website of High Caliber Service Corp. ~

"PAL & RPAL Tips To Speed Up Your Application •It is possible to shorten the time typically required for PAL approval. Even if you are not in a hurry, you should monitor your application. Waits of 4 and 5 months have been reported.

•Once you have mailed in your PAL application (either first time or renewal), you can log into the CFC (Canadian Firearms Centre) website to check your application status.

•It will usually not appear online for about two weeks after being received by the CFC.

•One way to shorten this period is to send your application via registered mail (with the required reciept) so that you know when it is delivered to the CFC in Miramichi. Following receival by CFC (and before it appears online), you can phone the CFC to confirm delivery. It usually appears online the next day.

•If you call the CFC line (1-800-731-4000), as you work your way through the options, you are advised that you should wait 45 days before making any inquiries. Don't pay attention to that if you want to move your application along.

•There is another part of the message that says that there may be a delay if some info is missing, but "be assured you will be contacted by CFC staff". This is completely untrue. They will not contact you and ask for the missing info. They will send you a letter telling you to call in or your application will be cancelled; it won't tell you what info they require. That will add two weeks to your wait, because that is how long it will take them to get the letter issued.

•If you are a first time applicant and face a 28 day waiting period, this does not mean that you need to wait 28 days before making any inquiries. Processing can occur during the 28 day period, so that on day 28 final approval can be granted.

•The 28 day waiting period starts from the date the application is received by the CFC, not the date it appears online. (Staff at CFC may advise it is the online date, but this information is wrong.) The 28 day wait provision is statutory- it is specified in the Regulations to the Firearms Act. The time starts from the date the application is made, and that is the date that it is received by the CFC (not the date mailed). This is the practice the CFC follows.

• If you are renewing a PAL or upgrading from a POL, there is no 28 day waiting period.

•Once it is online, the application is in the “processing” stage, which means it is sitting there until someone at CFC reviews the application, looking for missing information. When that phase is complete, it is classified as “in progress” which means it is in a queue for someone to contact the applicant and references.

•If any information is missing, your application gets put in another queue and sits until someone mails you a standard letter that indicates you must contact the CFC by a certain date or your application with be dropped. The process of sending this letter out can take 10 days plus another 4 or 5 for it to be delivered if you live in the West.

•If you haven’t been contacted by CFC after a week or so in the processing stage, give them a call and inquire if there are any deficiencies or missing information. If there is a missed question, you can provide that missing information to them over the phone. They may then offer to transfer you to have an interview conducted on the spot. Again, you need to ignore the message that tells you not to check on the status of your application until 3 days have elapsed.

•Once your phone interview is done, ask them for your file number and then have your references call in (toll free at 1-800-731-4000) with that file number to do their interviews.

•After all the information is confirmed, and the interviews are complete, the CFC sends the application to the appropriate provincial CFO for approval.

◦ If you live in Alberta, you can call them immediately (same toll free number as CFC), and inquire about the status. There is a good chance they will approve it over the phone. (Alberta CFO does not take calls on Wednesdays. That is processing day, so you plan around that if you can.]

◦For Ontario residents: You can send in your application before you get your stamped CFSC results back from the Ontario CFO, and get the 28 day waiting period started earlier than if you wait and attach the results to the application. Questions 20(a) and (b) each have a box to check in that say that the exam results are enclosed, so you would just leave that blank. It is probably also worthwhile to include a note to say that exam results will follow. The 28 day clock starts once the application is received by CFC. If you wait until you get your ‘stamped’ safety course report(s) back, you have added that to your waiting period.

•Other Info:
•Send in an original signed application, not a photocopy.
•Use Form CAFC979 for a renewal of a PAL or POL.
•Use Form CAFC 921 for a new PAL or if your PAL has expired
•Form 921 requires exam results and two references which form 979 does not require, so make sure you renew with form 979 well before your PAL expires."

These waits are outrageous and the situation should not be tolerated. 6 months? Madness!
Old 07-25-2013, 12:02 AM

Default Good info

Thanks for that Mr. No Choke!
I am wanting to upgrade to an RPAL and there is some good info in that post
Old 07-25-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Would be nice to see the NFA tackle this. Perhaps they could collect names of everyone waiting over , say 3 or 4 months, and go at it with the firearms folks, with the help of some sympathetic MP's and government ministers.
Would be nice to see every gun owner in Canada join the NFA. The more support the more pull the NFA has. And the NFA have been trying to Tackle this and other issues for years.
Sadly, Politicians only care about votes, and the Canadian gun owners are divided, or could care less about these issues, until it directly effects them.
By all means people, get involved. Write your MP's, join a club or 2. Get new members shooting, get them moving in the rite direction.

I just applied to renewed my Pal, it expires in Oct. The renewal papers arrived last week and were sent off Registered Mail the day I received them.
I recently passed the Rpal course and decided to just renew the Pal so I "hopefully", don't get screwed this hunting season. Once the PAL is in hand I will then Apply for the Rpal. PITA. But I won't jeopardize most of a hunting season for bureaucratic paper work. This chit needs to end.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:14 AM

Thanks guys. Ill have to mail it off come September since I won't be back home until then.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icatchfish View Post
its actually $80, I sent mine PAL/RPAL on june 14th, they got it on the 17th and the $80 came out of my credit card on July 8. I called them yesterday to check on the process and was told that it is still being processed and some one will contact me. they couldn't tell me anything
Thanks for clarifying the $$$ amount. It's been a while for me
Old 07-25-2013, 12:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham View Post
It should take no longer than 28 days before the card is mailed out, I'd love to see the NFA and/or any other interested parties tackle the matter. I am not saying it's normally done in that amont of time, simply that it should be and anymore should create an uproar!
I disagree.... doing criminal background checks for applications takes a backseat to a number of other things and...it takes time.
It also takes time to check references.

Despite that... we still have some pretty dodgy folks managing to get licenses.

I agree that 6 months is far too long but 28 days is just not realistic.... especially when one considers that 28 days is actually only 20 business days.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:10 AM

An Officer can sign into their police computer in the car and check instantly. You're right about a criminal record check taking time. I had one done for work not too long ago. The time it took? Under 24 hrs. In the digital age this stuff can be done quite quickly.

Of course we can agree to disagree Sir and I do not consider myself an impatient person. Though like most who value self imporvement it is something I continue to work on. None the less, 20 business days should get it done when it comes to a PAL/RPAL application.

Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 07-25-2013 at 01:27 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
An Officer can sign into their police computer in the car and check instantly. You're right about a criminal record check taking time. I had one done for work not too long ago. The time it took? Under 24 hrs. In the digital age this stuff can be done quite quickly.

Of course we can agree to disagree Sir and I do not consider myself an impatient person. Though like most who value self imporvement it is something I continue to work on. None the less, 20 business days should get it done when it comes to a PAL/RPAL application.
The key word being priority.

The officer in that car isn't doing it... one or two people are...for job applicants, the military, security clearances, FA licenses, passports, etc etc ad nauseum.

Your 24 hour turn around on a criminal check did not include checking references and... a premium was paid to make that happen anyway.

My daughter just went through it... and I go through both processes every few years related to my security clearance.
My initial security clearance took 6 months and that was average.
The delay was backlog and the need to check references.

Which raises another point... I have now held a secret security clearance with DND for most of my adult life.
That upgrade took (initially) 8 months and I was already well known to them.
Its well documented and investigated...right down to the name of the ship my MIL came here on.
I also hold some rather unique licenses related to controlled and highly dangerous substances.
Yet.. my FA license took the usual 2-3 months just like everyone elses.

So... assuming my experience is typical...and it is... 2-3 months for a relative unknown upon his first issuance is pretty speedy all things considered.

People should either learn to plan ahead and project or get used to being disappointed.
The system didn't change for me although they could have just pulled that file and it isn't going to change for folks who have no immediate need when there are more pressing matters at hand.
Canadians wanted smaller government and reduced cost related to firearms licensing etc...and they got it.

So... the choices are easy.

Hire more staff, accept that harried staff will be less thorough and that less idiots will be screened out by the process or (translation...more bad press in waiting for us...) OR....accept that 2-3 months on average...isn't all that long to wait.

It really isn't that long.
Finally...if 2-3 months is that frustrating for some individuals that they feel the need to pound desks over it... perhaps that warrants a closer look at their suitability and further delays while that is undertaken.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
The key word being priority.

The officer in that car isn't doing it... one or two people are...for job applicants, the military, security clearances, FA licenses, passports, etc etc ad nauseum.

Your 24 hour turn around on a criminal check did not include checking references and... a premium was paid to make that happen anyway.

My daughter just went through it... and I go through both processes every few years related to my security clearance.
My initial security clearance took 6 months and that was average.
The delay was backlog and the need to check references.

Which raises another point... I have now held a secret security clearance with DND for most of my adult life.
That upgrade took (initially) 8 months and I was already well known to them.
Its well documented and investigated...right down to the name of the ship my MIL came here on.
I also hold some rather unique licenses related to controlled and highly dangerous substances.
Yet.. my FA license took the usual 2-3 months just like everyone elses.

So... assuming my experience is typical...and it is... 2-3 months for a relative unknown upon his first issuance is pretty speedy all things considered.

People should either learn to plan ahead and project or get used to being disappointed.
The system didn't change for me although they could have just pulled that file and it isn't going to change for folks who have no immediate need when there are more pressing matters at hand.
Canadians wanted smaller government and reduced cost related to firearms licensing etc...and they got it.

So... the choices are easy.

Hire more staff, accept that harried staff will be less thorough and that less idiots will be screened out by the process or (translation...more bad press in waiting for us...) OR....accept that 2-3 months on average...isn't all that long to wait.

It really isn't that long.
Finally...if 2-3 months is that frustrating for some individuals that they feel the need to pound desks over it... perhaps that warrants a closer look at their suitability and further delays while that is undertaken.
Seriously, you jest?!

The law states it should take 28 days, hence the waiting period. If the waiting period were to be indertiminate/at the discretion of the CFC and/or CFOs the legislation needs to state that and it does not. I am simply suggesting that those who impose such laws upon us and are responsible for the implementation and enforcement of said laws simply abide by them as we, the responsible and law abiding people of Canada do. We all take the letter of the law very seriously concerning the safe storage/display transportation and use of firearms as those legaly intrusted with them. Those that inforce the laws do, too. This should apply unilateraly and they should take the mandated 28 days.

As for your unique situation? Perhaps your files are classified. Perhaps the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, Government does not have qaulity interdepartmental communication if any at all in many if not most cases... Government in Canada is not small by any stretch of the imagination. Perhaps you had an FAC prior to your PAL, did you have firearms/ammunition in your possession during your two to three month wait? (rhetorical) This is off topic, I digress, back to task.

Some people seem to think that the CFC/CFOs personally decide who gets a PAL and/or RPAL. They do not. If you pass the CFSC/CRFSC, have no history of certain mental illness(es) and have no criminal record for certain offenses (via discharge or conviction in a court of law under the Criminal Code) then you will be approved, even if one has to win a case in appelate court to do so. All it needs to take is a quick background check like they used to do with the FACs, which would often be issued same day at a police station. This stuff is simple and can easily be streamlined, 28 days should be more than sufficient for the process. I feel that your suggestion that people who get proactive in pursuit of their licensure should be punished with delays and maltreatment is an afront to reason and decency and would constitute a blatant abuse of power. Please remember everyone ~ Only law abiding citizens even bother with any of this. Anyone criminal can easily and instantly purchase firearms classed by Canada as prohibited, restricted or non-restricted. This PAL stuff only affects the good folks.

I wish only to clarify my viewpoint, not to pick on anyone or disturb stuff you understand. This all seems simple to me, just my opinion and how I'd do things if in charge. To reiterate there is NO need for super long waits of 6+ months. Such things are absurd. Deny or approve, no hold up needed. In my humble opinion, excessive wait times violate the spirit of the law.

Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 07-25-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opalsasquatch View Post
Thanks for that Mr. No Choke!
I am wanting to upgrade to an RPAL and there is some good info in that post
You are very welcome, Sir. Glad to be of assistance!

Old 07-25-2013, 01:51 PM

Mine was sent in during May and all references interviewed but on reference missed the call and I got him to call them and request the interview then I called in and requested mine...should see my RPAL card in the mail within the next two weeks woot woot!
Old 07-25-2013, 02:42 PM

Default 2 or 3 months... no problem...

Big Daddy Badger:

It was sent in last December... her references and security checks have all been done. So now tell me what's taking so long. Nothing to do with poor planning or being unreasonably impatient! 8 Months...
Old 07-25-2013, 03:26 PM

Default RPAL renewal

Be careful how you answer all of the questions when you go to apply for or renew your rpal, here is what happened to me.
A few years ago my rpal expired, we had moved, I did not receive a renewal notice and the expiry slipped my mind. When I discovered this I reapplied for my rpal as per the CFO instructions. One of the questions (I believe it is 2.B) asked if I intended to buy a restricted firearm in the next 5 years. At that time I did not intend to buy a restricted firearm so I answered no, thinking it didn't make any difference to my rpal status. When I received my rpal I noticed there was no restricted allowance on the card, thereby making it a regular pal. I contacted the CFO and was told that this occurred because I answered no to question 2.B. I wrongly presumed that when you qualify for a rpal it stays a rpal. Sort of like when I renew my class 5/7 drivers license I don't have to indicate if I am going to ride a motorcycle in the next 5 years to maintain my class 7 license. The CFO gal didn't see it the same way so I had to go through the whole process again.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Country Hunter View Post
Be careful how you answer all of the questions when you go to apply for or renew your rpal, here is what happened to me.
A few years ago my rpal expired, we had moved, I did not receive a renewal notice and the expiry slipped my mind. When I discovered this I reapplied for my rpal as per the CFO instructions. One of the questions (I believe it is 2.B) asked if I intended to buy a restricted firearm in the next 5 years. At that time I did not intend to buy a restricted firearm so I answered no, thinking it didn't make any difference to my rpal status. When I received my rpal I noticed there was no restricted allowance on the card, thereby making it a regular pal. I contacted the CFO and was told that this occurred because I answered no to question 2.B. I wrongly presumed that when you qualify for a rpal it stays a rpal. Sort of like when I renew my class 5/7 drivers license I don't have to indicate if I am going to ride a motorcycle in the next 5 years to maintain my class 7 license. The CFO gal didn't see it the same way so I had to go through the whole process again.
ya I was warned about that when I did my course, they pretty much said that the CFO will try to find any excuse not to give the RPAL . in your case for example you said you wont buy one in the next 5 years therefore it was intepreted that in five years when you decided to own a restricted you can reapply and get your RPAL.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:01 PM
Banned

Well then, since you seem well versed in Canadian Law...it follows that you likely understand the differences between should, shall and must within a legal context.

My situation is not unique.... it is typical of all service persons who also hold licenses.
And.... the RCMP does all of our background etc checks....always have.

Otherwsie I've been licensed in one form or another since Day 1... the only change is that I did shed the POLE for a PAL.

There is little to argue here.... 28 days is wishful thinking and 2-3 months is not a hardship.
IMHO.
I just don't feel that there is anything much to grouse about until we start hitting about month 4 and that pitching a fit after only 28 days has come and gone is likely justification for further delay

Quote:
Seriously, you jest?!

The law states it should take 28 days, hence the waiting period. If the waiting period were to be indertiminate/at the discretion of the CFC and/or CFOs the legislation needs to state that and it does not. I am simply suggesting that those who impose such laws upon us and are responsible for the implementation and enforcement of said laws simply abide by them as we, the responsible and law abiding people of Canada do. We all take the letter of the law very seriously concerning the safe storage/display transportation and use of firearms as those legaly intrusted with them. Those that inforce the laws do, too. This should apply unilateraly and they should take the mandated 28 days.

As for your unique situation? Perhaps your files are classified. Perhaps the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, Government does not have qaulity interdepartmental communication if any at all in many if not most cases... Government in Canada is not small by any stretch of the imagination. Perhaps you had an FAC prior to your PAL, did you have firearms/ammunition in your possession during your two to three month wait? (rhetorical) This is off topic, I digress, back to task.

Some people seem to think that the CFC/CFOs personally decide who gets a PAL and/or RPAL. They do not. If you pass the CFSC/CRFSC, have no history of certain mental illness(es) and have no criminal record for certain offenses (via discharge or conviction in a court of law under the Criminal Code) then you will be approved, even if one has to win a case in appelate court to do so. All it needs to take is a quick background check like they used to do with the FACs, which would often be issued same day at a police station. This stuff is simple and can easily be streamlined, 28 days should be more than sufficient for the process. I feel that your suggestion that people who get proactive in pursuit of their licensure should be punished with delays and maltreatment is an afront to reason and decency and would constitute a blatant abuse of power. Please remember everyone ~ Only law abiding citizens even bother with any of this. Anyone criminal can easily and instantly purchase firearms classed by Canada as prohibited, restricted or non-restricted. This PAL stuff only affects the good folks.

I wish only to clarify my viewpoint, not to pick on anyone or disturb stuff you understand. This all seems simple to me, just my opinion and how I'd do things if in charge. To reiterate there is NO need for super long waits of 6+ months. Such things are absurd. Deny or approve, no hold up needed. In my humble opinion, excessive wait times violate the spirit of the law.