Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-15-2024, 02:43 PM

Default Browning X-bolt speed with muzzle breake

Looking at this rifle with the camo stalk and cerakote finish with muzzle brake.
In a 7 rem mag. Any comments on this rifle regardless of calibre. Particularly relative accuracy and repeatability
Old 01-15-2024, 02:51 PM

The biggest issue that I have with that rifle is the trigger, most X- bolt triggers won't adjust below 3-1/2lbs. Some won't adjust below 4lbs.
Old 01-15-2024, 03:02 PM

I have the rifle in question in 7MM REM MAG and I shoot it without the muzzle break, the main reason being that I want to keep the noise to the minimum that it can be in the instance that I would have to shoot without putting on ear protection.

When sighting it in at 100 yards it shot many different factory ammunition loads accurately and to me the trigger is very nice and in a hunting rifle for myself I personally would not like it to be any less of a trigger pull. Off of a lead sled the rifle repeatedly cloverleafed at 100 yards with the factory ammo and this year I shot my elk at 465 yards with the rifle.

I feel for the money that you are getting pretty good value however I am sure many others will have different opinions and like many hunting related items they can be very personal.
Old 01-15-2024, 05:13 PM

A buddy of mine has 2 of them 1 is in 270 and the other is 300 WM and he loves them, I shot both when we were doing the initial sight in, nice shooting and the trigger wasn't bad all on either of them

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-15-2024, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
A buddy of mine has 2 of them 1 is in 270 and the other is 300 WM and he loves them, I shot both when we were doing the initial sight in, nice shooting and the trigger wasn't bad all on either of them
A 22" barrel, is a strange choice for a 7mmremmag.
Old 01-15-2024, 05:43 PM

Short threaded barrels seem like they are becoming the norm. I don’t know why manufacturers feel it is necessary to install “deafeners” on most of the hunting models being produced today. I only have 2 rifles with breaks and I don’t hunt with either.
Old 01-15-2024, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Agreed. I have one in a 270 win and the trigger is great.
It's also very accurate right out of the box
Old 01-15-2024, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Short threaded barrels seem like they are becoming the norm. I don’t know why manufacturers feel it is necessary to install “deafeners” on most of the hunting models being produced today. I only have 2 rifles with breaks and I don’t hunt with either.
One of the things that I did like about Browning bolt actions, was that they did put 26" barrels on the magnums, to get an extra 100-150fps. I won't hunt with a braked rifle either.
Old 01-15-2024, 06:04 PM

They listen to the users, guy's want lighter rifles with shorter barrels to pack, the browning site shows 2 different configurations of the X bolt speed in 7mm RM one with a 22" and one with a 26"
I noticed that Christensen arms is also making the ridgelines with short 20 and 22 inch barrels, that's what consumers want, at least some of them

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-15-2024, 06:22 PM

I have an X-Bolt in .243 (yes, different from 7rm, lol), which I bought… not sure, but a few years ago (6? More? No idea). It is not the Speed model, but likely an equivalent of the time, but no muzzle break (Hells Canyon were the first ones with muzzle breaks rolling out a couple of years later, I believe). Whatever it was called back then:

Just a random photo from one of the threads here from a few years back (spent all day in the rain hunting elk with no success, lol).

This turned out to be my go to gun for hunting (bush). It isn’t the lightest rifle out there, but light enough. This is the gun unloaded (the sling is somewhat heavy, you can say, the scope was a light VX3i x40 mounted with the Talley lightweights at the time):

It is now topped with an FX-3 x42 scope.

It shoots fine for what it is. This one only ever shot Hornady American Whitetail, Federal Fusion, and Federal premium loaded with TSX. I am no sniper and far from it. Here are a couple of groups after switching the scope. The first one was about the average with the Fusion ammo (this was the first group of 3 shots after the gun sat around for almost a year, Hornady shot about the same) and the second was about an average with the Federal Premiums. The shooting took place in the bush, sitting, off a tripod from 100m and the groups could tighten up of the bench and definitely with another shooter.

The gun killed everything from grouse (once, lol) and coyote to moose, mostly (all but 1 deer) with the first shots.

Many do not like the trigger or so I hear. Can’t say I was bothered much by it, but I switched the spring to a YoDave spring and adjusted the trigger to 2.5lb and it could go lower (with the factory spring I could not come down below 2lb 13oz (provided it was safe)). So it’s a very easy fix for those who are looking for a lighter trigger. The thread about the spring, where last two posts are mine with photos: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ghlight=Yodave

The stock is durable and takes the beating in the bush. I do have a few scratches here and there (one is fairly deep), but the coating is just fine. It is pretty grippy dry or wet. The cerakote on the barrel is holding up great as well. The gun has now seen many 100’s of km in some heavy bush that many straight up avoid, in various weather.

The only complaint I have is that it happened a couple of times when I put the mag in and pushed the bolt, but there was no round being pushed into the chamber. Not sure if this is an issue and whether it is common or not if it is, but I watch to make sure that doesn’t happen. Other than that, I think it is a great rifle for what I paid for it.

Having said all that, I didn’t pay nearly as much for it as the Speed is priced at today. I think the MSRP was something like $1,250 and I paid significantly less than that for the new rifle. At $1,700, I might (probably?) look at something else instead. Maybe add a bit to get something definitely better (in my opinion)? Or look at others in this price range (there is a bunch of rifles that cost this much and less that I never handled). Prices are a bit outrageous nowadays for most things though. If I found a as good deal, I’d definitely grab the gun in another calibre.

Hope this helps somewhat.
Old 01-15-2024, 08:18 PM

I have 4 of em. 2 in 26 nosler, one in 243, one in 6.5 creedmoor.
Very accurate. These 26’s are shooting moa to sub moa at 400 yards. Ridiculously accurate. Love the 140 grain nosler accubond factory ammo.
I bought the 243 for a coyote rifle and cannot complain about it. It’ll shoot 75 grain vmax into wee little groups. Likes most ammo but definitely doesn’t like the lighter stuff, 55 and 58 grain is a no go. The 6.5 is lovely to shoot, loves the 135 hornady factory fodder. Good guns for sure.
I’d be buying the 7mm
Old 01-15-2024, 09:06 PM

I have the hells canyon chambered in a 280 AI. this is my third x bolt. With the brake, the recoil is like a 243. My trigger pull is around 2 3/4 #. I’m very happy with the rifle and especially the caliber. Kind of weird but the 280AI isn’t a popular round but anyone that has one is very happy with it. I picked mine up from Neerlandia co-op. I’m using 150gn eldx and it’s accurate, currently fighting accuracy with the Lrx bullets but I just started with this load configuration.
Good luck in your purchase whatever it may be.

Last edited by Cageyc; 01-15-2024 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-17-2024, 12:20 PM

Thanks everyone for their thoughts. The one I looked at was a 26” barrel
Old 01-17-2024, 04:21 PM

Browning X bolt

7PRC

Handload ammo

601 yards

464 yards

Old 01-17-2024, 07:13 PM

Impressive shooting there bud!
Old 01-17-2024, 07:21 PM

^ For sure!
Old 01-17-2024, 07:23 PM

Little bit to the right... Must have been the flinch.

Nice shooting there!
Old 01-18-2024, 06:50 PM

My son has x bolt .308 long barrel and loves it. Took muzzle brake off and capped it. Shot his antelope this year at 450 yards and several long distance deer. He loves the action. Upgraded to a Boyd's stock though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20231016_153834~3.jpg (31.1 KB, 22 views)