Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-25-2010, 09:30 PM

Default Can ya help me out?

Here's the deal-I've been living in Alberta for 6 years now, and when I moved out here it was mainly to do lots of hunting and camping. I've had a great time hunting whitetails locally(vegreville), and have gone hiking up in the Wilmore several times. I first came out here about 7-8 years ago and worked as a wrangler for a sheep hunting outfitter in the Wilmore,so I really love that area and like to go there at least once a year. It is a bit of a drive however, and since I have no horses it's not real practical for me to hunt it.
This year I have resolved to get out and explore more areas, one of which will hopefully be a place I can return to this fall for some elk/moose hunting. It'll likely be me and a buddy or two, and we'll probably archery hunt. I don't have a truck or quad, so it's all legwork for me which I don't really mind. The problem is I'm not familiar with many other area's of Alberta,so I don't really know where to start. I know lots of guys have there special spots and favorite area's,and am by no means asking people to share those with me. All I want is some pointers about where I can get started looking around,doing some hiking and camping. I prefer to use crown land,and the less people the better. I enjoy getting out there and scouting,camping,hiking, jsut generally being out in the bush. As long as I know there is the potential for hunting I'm happy, it doesn't have to be the greatest elk hunting ever.
I also plan on getting topo maps of whatever area's I'm going to, and practicing navigation by map and compass,as I feel it's something I should know how to do. We usually travel pretty light, just take a tarp for shelter and as little gear as possible.
So, can anyone give me a general idea of area's I might check out? I don't mind hiking in 10-12k, though the wife really wants to go too this year,and she might be better off starting with shorter hikes. If I can find an area that looks nice,has a place where I can park my car and walk into and do some camping and hiking, I'll be pretty happy. If there happens to be elk or moose in the area that I can get an archery tag for,so much the better.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:57 PM

I would start with playing on google earth, check some spots that spark your intrest on there and then x-refrence them with wmu's and go explore from there. It's highly unlikely someone will give up there spot on here, so you kinda have do it yourself.Good luck.