Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-26-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
If you took my comment about being obtuse (def: not quick or alert in perception) as an insult then I apologize.
Many ideas have be pushed forward in this or the other thread on how to improve sheep numbers. Most have been suggestions that outlined curtailing opportunity. Removing horses and ATVs form the mountains only makes it harder to hunt sheep or elk but doesn't remove any seasons or tags. Easy access has been the detriment of sheep populations and making that access a little more arduous would mean less people in the mountains, less sheep killed and better populations with perhaps better trophy potential. The line that has been used by so many to defend their proposal has been "what can it hurt and why shouldn't we try for the good of the sheep?" Well what could it hurt to try?
Well for starters, and I admit I am being completely selfish here, it would hurt me. I use all 3 modes of transportation mentioned in this thread, foot, horse and atv, to hunt sheep. I enjoy all 3, in their respective applications, immensely, and would hate the thought of giving up any of them. I suppose banning horses for back country hunting could result in more sheep on the mountain, but there's already sheep there, and personally, I don't think it would be worth it to have my kids miss out on the experience of hunting the mountains on horseback just to put a few more rams out in the hills. 209, I hope that you're just playing a bit of the "devil's advocate" here because we all know the importance of the hunting/shooting/fishing/anything-outdoor-related-that-has-any-form-of-use-or-impact communities sticking together, and the potential danger of singling out, and banning, one particular aspect or activity.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:26 PM

Well I may as well jump onto the ban wagon ... since I'm partial to horses and wouldn't like it if they got banned, I have a much better solution - we'll make sheep season archery only , now that will definitely increase the numbers of mature rams (and ewes, ).
Old 01-26-2010, 07:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
Well I may as well jump onto the ban wagon ... since I'm partial to horses and wouldn't like it if they got banned, I have a much better solution - we'll make sheep season archery only , now that will definitely increase the numbers of mature rams (and ewes, ).
There ya go. And no one looses out on seasons and tags.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
That would apply to non-res as well?
Old 01-26-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindalbakken View Post
That would apply to non-res as well?
I think we'll limit those dastardly non-residents to traditional archery only...
Old 01-26-2010, 07:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think we'll limit those dastardly non-residents to traditional archery only...
Now we are getting some where!!!!
Old 01-26-2010, 07:58 PM
Banned

I think this is getting a little crazy. Like I said earlier. we all have the meens to a hourse,atv,and our feet.You pick what you want and go buy it or just use it.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delburnedave View Post
Well for starters, and I admit I am being completely selfish here, it would hurt me. I use all 3 modes of transportation mentioned in this thread, foot, horse and atv, to hunt sheep. I enjoy all 3, in their respective applications, immensely, and would hate the thought of giving up any of them. I suppose banning horses for back country hunting could result in more sheep on the mountain, but there's already sheep there, and personally, I don't think it would be worth it to have my kids miss out on the experience of hunting the mountains on horseback just to put a few more rams out in the hills. 209, I hope that you're just playing a bit of the "devil's advocate" here because we all know the importance of the hunting/shooting/fishing/anything-outdoor-related-that-has-any-form-of-use-or-impact communities sticking together, and the potential danger of singling out, and banning, one particular aspect or activity.
Winner, winner chicken dinner! God no one even laughed at the born again stuff?!
Yes we need to all stick together and quit rushing to help the government take our rights and sheep away from us.
All those people that figured it was their right to change the sheep herd to their vision were acting in a very selfish way. They may not think it was so or perhaps are so blinded by their passion that they didn't see it, but it was very selfish. They want to hunt sheep on their terms and they feel it is their right to make you and I hunt sheep on their terms. Well that is great but so does everyone else. We all have a vison and a preferred way of hunting. Funny how I was a labelled jerk and accussed of not supporting putting more sheep on the mountain when I wasn't agreeing with the plans people were rushing to have rammed down our throats. Not so funny when my plan to put more sheep on the mountain eliminated horses was it? No one can argue that eliminating horses wouldn’t put more sheep on the mountain, it is easy for even the simplest to see, but at what cost? The same goes for all the plans, at what cost? We need to know first if there is a problem and what is the motivation for the AFGA Resolution from Zone 1. And when the heII did the AFGA get into curbing hunting opportunities for its members?
Nothing in our sport is untouchable and if you sit idly by when others in the sport lose then you deserve what you get when it is your turn, and we all get a turn. All the "real" sheep hunters, (good lord the arrogance) so ready to not ALLOW other hunters to have any input into managing THEIR animals. Only idiots allow special interests to divide them from their brothers. You think about the 100,000 hunters that bought a whitetail tag last year how hard would it be to organise them into agreeing with a horse ban for hunting in the mountains, especially if they were offered a couple more weeks of deer season? We the sheep hunters need them, their voices and their votes to be heard and to defend our niche of the hunting sport because in today’s world 2000 voices is nothing compared to 100,000.
Thanks Dave for thinking and speaking up, there is nothing wrong with wanting to hunt with horses, atv's or shoot a 6 year old ram if it is legal.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:11 PM

Ban them All BAN BAN BAN
Old 01-26-2010, 08:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinC View Post
I think this is getting a little crazy. Like I said earlier. we all have the meens to a hourse,atv,and our feet.You pick what you want and go buy it or just use it.
Exactly!!!! Everyone has there own likes and dis-likes. Quit complaining and arguing about it like a bunch of high school teenagers. Everyone has there own oppinion and rightly so. That is there right, everyone is allowed to voice there own oppinion. It's a free country. So just agree to dis-agree and SUCK IT UP. When someone gives there oppinion or thought on the topic, doesn't mean there saying " Im right and your wrong so suck it" It's just there thought on the topic.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Winner, winner chicken dinner! God no one even laughed at the born again stuff?!
Yes we need to all stick together and quit rushing to help the government take our rights and sheep away from us.
All those people that figured it was their right to change the sheep herd to their vision were acting in a very selfish way. They may not think it was so or perhaps are so blinded by their passion that they didn't see it, but it was very selfish. They want to hunt sheep on their terms and they feel it is their right to make you and I hunt sheep on their terms. Well that is great but so does everyone else. We all have a vison and a preferred way of hunting. Funny how I was a labelled jerk and accussed of not supporting putting more sheep on the mountain when I wasn't agreeing with the plans people were rushing to have rammed down our throats. Not so funny when my plan to put more sheep on the mountain eliminated horses was it? No one can argue that eliminating horses wouldn’t put more sheep on the mountain, it is easy for even the simplest to see, but at what cost? The same goes for all the plans, at what cost? We need to know first if there is a problem and what is the motivation for the AFGA Resolution from Zone 1. And when the heII did the AFGA get into curbing hunting opportunities for its members?
Nothing in our sport is untouchable and if you sit idly by when others in the sport lose then you deserve what you get when it is your turn, and we all get a turn. All the "real" sheep hunters, (good lord the arrogance) so ready to not ALLOW other hunters to have any input into managing THEIR animals. Only idiots allow special interests to divide them from their brothers. You think about the 100,000 hunters that bought a whitetail tag last year how hard would it be to organise them into agreeing with a horse ban for hunting in the mountains, especially if they were offered a couple more weeks of deer season? We the sheep hunters need them, their voices and their votes to be heard and to defend our niche of the hunting sport because in today’s world 2000 voices is nothing compared to 100,000.
Thanks Dave for thinking and speaking up, there is nothing wrong with wanting to hunt with horses, atv's or shoot a 6 year old ram if it is legal.
I think things went wrong when guys lost track of what was portrayed as a thought not a problem... more mature sheep out there. No one ever said our sheep hunting was doomed. A few were having discussions on what it would take to do this. NOT THAT IT HAD TO BE DONE. Sure alot of guys want it done ad some dont. It was only being discussed what ways may work!!! Then guess what happened.... Some superstar came in and said all ideas were wrong!! Then what happened... people got defensive and side tracked thinking someone was stating there was a problem!!
JMHO
SG
Old 01-26-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
I laughed...

I was beginning to question whether you were serious or not as your posts went on though.

And since 209 came clean, before anyone thinks I was serious about the bow only season I wasn't...
Old 01-26-2010, 08:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
I laughed...

I was beginning to question whether you were serious or not as your posts went on though.

And since 209 came clean, before anyone thinks I was serious about the bow only season I wasn't...
Seems some one switched directions after getting little backing!!
Old 01-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Banned

Dang, I wanted to see SheepGuide gearing up for some archery hunts!!!!

The guide has to wear the horns and challenge the big ram to a contest so that the client can get in close. Then there is the maneuvering to get the ram broadside to the client. Couple of head shots to keep his interest up - and thwack!
Old 01-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindalbakken View Post
Dang, I wanted to see SheepGuide gearing up for some archery hunts!!!!

The guide has to wear the horns and challenge the big ram to a contest so that the client can get in close. Then there is the maneuvering to get the ram broadside to the client. Couple of head shots to keep his interest up - and thwack!
Im game ill try most things once
Old 01-26-2010, 08:57 PM

The amount of support I got actually frightened me. I'm not sure if it was a reflection of people choosing sides or what... comments like and I quote 'Let the "real" uber sheep hunters show us all how easy it is on foot.'
This would be so easy to do only the near sighted would laugh it off. Perhaps it is already to late.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Haha! Well you sure had me steamed!! My wifes a bit pi$$y with you as well!! lol She's been listening to me vent all night!!

But back to what you said and tango said.... we need to stick together otherwise our options will be cut out.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
The amount of support I got actually frightened me. I'm not sure if it was a reflection of people choosing sides or what... comments like and I quote 'Let the "real" uber sheep hunters show us all how easy it is on foot.'
This would be so easy to do only the near sighted would laugh it off. Perhaps it is already to late.
Oh let me guess them comments were all PM's LOL
maybe the other "uber" sheep hunters should show the rest how easy it is on horses.

Oh and I do beleive we all should stick together also hence my sticking up for Atv's, Horses and Backpackers oh and Non Hunters
Old 01-26-2010, 11:34 PM

209X50, how far into the mountains do you hike when you're hunting sheep?
Old 01-27-2010, 12:19 PM

The title of this thread got some cogs and wheels turning enhanced by the influence of the master of disaster and his stories[ thanks tree] Watch for pictures and video next fall. As was mentioned earlier in this thread your probably only gonna get 1 shot. Sit back and buckle up this fall I sense a rodeo about to take place.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Banned

I love hunting on horses. I am too old to do it now but I enjoyed it when I was younger. I can't ever see a close to the use of horses being allowed.