Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-23-2010, 03:50 PM
Banned

Default ever been scared while hunting??

just wanted to share a story and see if anyone has any stories of the similar nature??

was out hunting up north of grande prairie with a couple buddies doing the old sit and wait on a cutline thing... hunting for elk... 2 moose and a mulie buck step out on the line... whatever they were fun to watch and i took a few snapshots of them... but no elk.... so its getting dark and i wait till almost sundown and start making my way back... walking slowly and quietly still hoping smth might come out on my 1.5 km journey back to the lease sight... when i hear smth behind me... take a look back nthn... so keep walking... look back again and see 2 wolves cross the line in oppossite directions behind me just looking at me... so i pick up my pace a bit more and keep walking... look behind again and there is 5 of them coming down the line straight at me... by this time i know they are following me maybe just checking me out so i stop and give a little shout but they keep coming ... they are about 100 yds off by this time .. so i turn and keep walking looking over my shoulder they keep getting closer and by this time they are within 50 yds... so i stop and decide im gonna take some definative action and pick up a stick to throw.. so i throw it and yell at them ... mustve been hungry they still keep sniffing and coming so i climb up this fallen tree and sit on the roots that were still full of dirt... well the lead wolf came to within 10 yds of me ... ill never forget the colour of its eyes ... i truly beleive they were after me... long story short i had to down the lead wolf and the rest just scattered... my buddy wont live it down saying i was treed by a wolf... but that dang wolf weighed more than i did

Last edited by lilsundance; 01-23-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Banned

my buddies were on different lines btw... forgot to mention that
Old 01-23-2010, 03:58 PM

[QUOTE=jacob1202;490089]so i stop and decide im gonna take some definative action and pick up a stick to throw.. so i throw it and yell at them ... mustve been hungry they still keep sniffing and coming so i climb ...QUOTE]

Definitive action in my case would have been pulling the trigger a few times, instead of looking for a stick! I would have first shot one, or two given the chance, before taking to the trees.

I've seen wolves run in the semi-dark, sort of on a cut-off course with me, which is an eerie feeling. They never bothered me though. Grizzly Adams and I had them howling all around us, but they never showed themselves, until a week later one came investigating Grizz during a little lunch break. That one didn't live much longer after that.

Frans
Old 01-23-2010, 04:00 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Frans;490097]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob1202 View Post
so i stop and decide im gonna take some definative action and pick up a stick to throw.. so i throw it and yell at them ... mustve been hungry they still keep sniffing and coming so i climb ...QUOTE]

Definitive action in my case would have been pulling the trigger a few times, instead of looking for a stick! I would have first shot one, or two given the chance, before taking to the trees.

I've seen wolves run in the semi-dark, sort of on a cut-off course with me, which is an eerie feeling. They never bothered me though. Grizzly Adams and I had them howling all around us, but they never showed themselves, until a week later one came investigating Grizz during a little lunch break. That one didn't live much longer after that.

Frans
lol yeah it is eerie... they crisscross the cutline and the way they look at u is very eerie... i also was gutting a moose one night just as it was getting dark and we heard them in the bush right beside us and when u shine the flashlight in the bush u could see eyes... idk about 20 yellow piercing eyes... then the howl came.... thats the eeriest part of it all LOL
Old 01-23-2010, 04:01 PM

Had a grizz bluff charge my uncle and me in the Ram fallls area 5 yrs ago. It was protecting its buried cow moose but what a sight and sure covered alot of ground real quick.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Had a grizz bluff charge my uncle and me in the Ram fallls area 5 yrs ago. It was protecting its buried cow moose but what a sight and sure covered alot of ground real quick.
yeah i bet... ive never had a grizzly encounter and i hope i never do... i think that would put me right over the edge!!!
Old 01-23-2010, 04:11 PM

You shoot as many as will stand still and then howl the pack back in for a few more if you can.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
You shoot as many as will stand still and then howl the pack back in for a few more if you can.
yeah i wouldve if they didnt run... i seriously have nightmares about wolves almost every night since then... it was unnerving
Old 01-23-2010, 04:16 PM

me and a bubby where walking up a trail after a pm hunt. and where followed by a cougar. we could hear it growling but couldn't see it. it was dark as hell by the time we got to the truck. was never so happy to see my truck in my life. must of followed us up the trail for a mile. went back the next am and his tracks where in ours.

had bears in camp wolves in camp never really scared me. but big cats scare the heck out of me.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck posse View Post
me and a bubby where walking up a trail after a pm hunt. and where followed by a cougar. we could hear it growling but couldn't see it. it was dark as hell by the time we got to the truck. was never so happy to see my truck in my life. must of followed us up the trail for a mile. went back the next am and his tracks where in ours.

had bears in camp wolves in camp never really scared me. but big cats scare the heck out of me.
yeah the same buddy of mine who bugs me about being treed by a wolf has a good cat story of his own... ill tell it in a few sentances... he was sitting in his tree stand on his parents lease land they had for logging out north of nojack ... his brother put him there and left walking to his stand... b4 his brother got to his stand he heard a shot and was like...wt? is he doing... his name is eli and was only 15 at the time... anyway he went back to check on his little brother and came upon him just shaking saying he shot a cat.. well tim the older brother was like yeah right.... wt? were u shooting for? well 10 steps later there it layed a 180 lb male cougar... eli said it jumped in the tree right beside him and was looking at him and flicking its tail back and forth..they hauled it back to the house and called F&W and asked if they could keep it but no... F&W came out immediatelly with alot of questions and took the cat... now it sits in a full mount and the F&W office in edmonton

Last edited by lilsundance; 01-23-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
just wanted to share a story and see if anyone has any stories of the similar nature??

was out hunting up north of grande prairie with a couple buddies doing the old sit and wait on a cutline thing... hunting for elk... 2 moose and a mulie buck step out on the line... whatever they were fun to watch and i took a few snapshots of them... but no elk.... so its getting dark and i wait till almost sundown and start making my way back... walking slowly and quietly still hoping smth might come out on my 1.5 km journey back to the lease sight... when i hear smth behind me... take a look back nthn... so keep walking... look back again and see 2 wolves cross the line in oppossite directions behind me just looking at me... so i pick up my pace a bit more and keep walking... look behind again and there is 5 of them coming down the line straight at me... by this time i know they are following me maybe just checking me out so i stop and give a little shout but they keep coming ... they are about 100 yds off by this time .. so i turn and keep walking looking over my shoulder they keep getting closer and by this time they are within 50 yds... so i stop and decide im gonna take some definative action and pick up a stick to throw.. so i throw it and yell at them ... mustve been hungry they still keep sniffing and coming so i climb up this fallen tree and sit on the roots that were still full of dirt... well the lead wolf came to within 10 yds of me ... ill never forget the colour of its eyes ... i truly beleive they were after me... long story short i had to down the lead wolf and the rest just scattered... my buddy wont live it down saying i was treed by a wolf... but that damn wolf weighed more than i did
And you didn't introduce them to the lead pill why???
Old 01-23-2010, 04:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_m View Post
And you didn't introduce them to the lead pill why???
oh i did... the pack leader im thinkin it was.... well it was the one out front and the one sniffing up close... he ate one definatelly...thats why the rest scattered... he is now a rug
Old 01-23-2010, 04:58 PM

Default they aint breeding the cattle they eating them

here is an interesting read on local wolves
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/sto...-ranchers.html
Old 01-23-2010, 05:30 PM

I hunt with a large group of guys North of GP every year in the middle of no where. From our camp to the closest cell phone range is about a 20 minute quad ride. A couple of years ago when we were out one of the guys decided after dark that he should go phone the wife, so he jumped on his quad with nothing more than his cell phone and headed out in the dead of winter. That year there was wolf tracks everywhere, but that wasn't a consideration when he left. He said he'd be back in an hour (20 ride each way and 10 minutes on the phone). An hour passed and we were approaching an hour and a half and we were just about to go looking for him, when he came bursting into the tent huffing and puffing so bad that he couldn't even tell us what had happened for ten minutes. Turns out that when he was done on the phone with the wife and on his way back his quad blew a belt, so it was time to start walking back to camp. Armed with nothing more than a cell phone to use as a flashlight he began his journey. Along the journey, he started to hear noises behind him, so he picked up a stick (I guess he was going to fight them off with it if they got Any closer). He pick up his pace a little bit, but the rustling in the bushes kept getting closer and closer. He clams he never saw what it was but it had to be about 10 yards from him, when he turned around, gave the loudest RRRRRRRROOOOOOOOAAAAAAARRRRRR he could muster, threw his stick in the direction of the noise and ran as fast as he could all the way back to camp without ever looking back. After we all laughed our ***** off about the whole situation, it turned into a really good drunk night to calm his nerves, and I'm pretty sure that you will never find him in the bush after dark armed with only a cell phone ever again.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:38 PM

It always amazes me how sensitive people ears get after dark. LOL!
Old 01-23-2010, 05:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_cant_rope_the_wind View Post
here is an interesting read on local wolves
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/sto...-ranchers.html
yeah i know... a good farmer freind of mine who lives north of nojack has been having problems with wolves... he witnessed a pure black wolf walking back and forth on his bushline watchin the newborn foals... they are getting braver and its only a matter of time till we see... young chinese tourist photographing in the forest ripped to death by pack of wolves!!!
Old 01-23-2010, 05:42 PM

not scared anymore.....since the bios told me there are not that many grizzes in Alberta. Used to be though......
Old 01-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
not scared anymore.....since the bios told me there are not that many grizzes in Alberta. Used to be though......
being put in my situation tho... would u have been scared? not even a little bit? i grew up logging with my family near whitecourt and have seen alot of animals in close quarters that have not scared me... but i assure u i was being stalked and thought of as just the next meal in these canines journey through life... if u wouldnt have been scared i applaud u
Old 01-23-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:

was out hunting up north of grande prairie with a couple buddies doing the old sit and wait on a cutline thing... hunting for elk... 2 moose and a mulie buck step out on the line... whatever they were fun to watch and i took a few snapshots of them... but no elk.... so its getting dark and i wait till almost sundown and start making my way back... walking slowly and quietly still hoping smth might come out on my 1.5 km journey back to the lease sight... when i hear smth behind me... take a look back nthn... so keep walking... look back again and see 2 wolves cross the line in oppossite directions behind me just looking at me... so i pick up my pace a bit more and keep walking... look behind again and there is 5 of them coming down the line straight at me... by this time i know they are following me maybe just checking me out so i stop and give a little shout but they keep coming ... they are about 100 yds off by this time .. so i turn and keep walking looking over my shoulder they keep getting closer and by this time they are within 50 yds... so i stop and decide im gonna take some definative action and pick up a stick to throw.. so i throw it and yell at them ... mustve been hungry they still keep sniffing and coming so i climb up this fallen tree and sit on the roots that were still full of dirt... well the lead wolf came to within 10 yds of me ... ill never forget the colour of its eyes ... i truly beleive they were after me... long story short i had to down the lead wolf and the rest just scattered... my buddy wont live it down saying i was treed by a wolf... but that damn wolf weighed more than i did
I like to think I would have been shooting sooner and faster. They are legal game, and as long it is within legal light, no worries. Hope you get over your nightmares.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:10 PM
Banned

Lets count my nine lives, most where while working "forestry worker".

1. spring bear hunting, bluffed 3 times by a sow black bear with a cub. 2 shots fired.

2.followed for 5 hrs working in a cut-block by 2 young wolves.

3.chased out of a cut-block by a young black bear that didnt mind bear spray

4.quading down a old road, came around a corner and was face to face with
a sow grizz with 2 cubs, the cubs took to the trees and the sow chased me, i didnt have time to turn around so i grabbed a gear and flew by her at less then 5 yards. she procceded to follow me over 1km. She had no problem staying within 25yards for the first 500m.

5. walked over a knoll in a cutblock in the winter, looked down and saw a hole with grizz tracks and a pleasent smell, i was walking away and looked back to see a young grizz sniffing the air, i was about 400yds away by then.

6.cougars are scarey when the follow you...air horns work well on them.

7. surveying a 8yr old cutblock, walking with my head down cresting a hill, i looked up to see a large dark back, thinking moose i grabbed my bear spray and air horn and yelled. A large grizzly stood up at 50yds, i dropped the air horn and grabbed the large knife out of my cruise vest. The bear sniffed the air and dropped to all fours and walked away, This was the biggest grizzly i have ever seen, i estimate his weight at well over 900lbs.

8. walking the edge of a cutblock i heard footsteps coming my way, i quickly grabbed my bear spray and faced the noise "mature forest was 5m away" Soon a huge black wolf with yellow eyes came running out! it stopped at what seemed a mere 6 feet away. i just looked at me for 5 seconds, those yellow eyes...just looking into my soul, it was a feeling i have never felt before. As the black wolf turned back to the trees i looked behind me to see 4 more wolves running off in all directions.. i was set up, if i ran i was dead....

9.Needless to say bears, wolves and cougars are dangerous, but moose top the list by far in rutting season and with young. I'v been chased by so many damn bull moose its not funny. They will charge any noise... this past elk rut i was in my hotspot, i was calling in 2-6 bulls a day earlier in the week. So i was hot on a bull elk, he was 75m a going hard but the bush was thick. i begain putting the slip on him, all of a sudden a heard footsteps and trees breaking, i got ready for the shot when a large bull moose came out at 5 yards!! tilting his head side to side, i could see his eyes where rolled back and white looking (moose hunters know) as soon as he started raking trees i RAN like i RAN FAST. i looked back once across the steep creek, he was at the top fighting with another bull! i began the walk back to my truck about 2km away...all i could hear was moose grunts antlers clashing and trees breaking..it was dusk and i was trying to tip-toe inbetween what seemed like 12 bull moose full of rage juice and ready to fight...

well needless to say i just quit my job!! only to get a new one as a cameraman...going to zimbabwe..gunna hunt some lion and elephant...i hope thats a little bit safer?
Old 01-23-2010, 06:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
Lets count my nine lives, most where while working "forestry worker".

1. spring bear hunting, bluffed 3 times by a sow black bear with a cub. 2 shots fired.

2.followed for 5 hrs working in a cut-block by 2 young wolves.

3.chased out of a cut-block by a young black bear that didnt mind bear spray

4.quading down a old road, came around a corner and was face to face with
a sow grizz with 2 cubs, the cubs took to the trees and the sow chased me, i didnt have time to turn around so i grabbed a gear and flew by her at less then 5 yards. she procceded to follow me over 1km. She had no problem staying within 25yards for the first 500m.

5. walked over a knoll in a cutblock in the winter, looked down and saw a hole with grizz tracks and a pleasent smell, i was walking away and looked back to see a young grizz sniffing the air, i was about 400yds away by then.

6.cougars are scarey when the follow you...air horns work well on them.

7. surveying a 8yr old cutblock, walking with my head down cresting a hill, i looked up to see a large dark back, thinking moose i grabbed my bear spray and air horn and yelled. A large grizzly stood up at 50yds, i dropped the air horn and grabbed the large knife out of my cruise vest. The bear sniffed the air and dropped to all fours and walked away, This was the biggest grizzly i have ever seen, i estimate his weight at well over 900lbs.

8. walking the edge of a cutblock i heard footsteps coming my way, i quickly grabbed my bear spray and faced the noise "mature forest was 5m away" Soon a huge black wolf with yellow eyes came running out! it stopped at what seemed a mere 6 feet away. i just looked at me for 5 seconds, those yellow eyes...just looking into my soul, it was a feeling i have never felt before. As the black wolf turned back to the trees i looked behind me to see 4 more wolves running off in all directions.. i was set up, if i ran i was dead....

9.Needless to say bears, wolves and cougars are dangerous, but moose top the list by far in rutting season and with young. I'v been chased by so many damn bull moose its not funny. They will charge any noise... this past elk rut i was in my hotspot, i was calling in 2-6 bulls a day earlier in the week. So i was hot on a bull elk, he was 75m a going hard but the bush was thick. i begain putting the slip on him, all of a sudden a heard footsteps and trees breaking, i got ready for the shot when a large bull moose came out at 5 yards!! tilting his head side to side, i could see his eyes where rolled back and white looking (moose hunters know) as soon as he started raking trees i RAN like i RAN FAST. i looked back once across the steep creek, he was at the top fighting with another bull! i began the walk back to my truck about 2km away...all i could hear was moose grunts antlers clashing and trees breaking..it was dusk and i was trying to tip-toe inbetween what seemed like 12 bull moose full of rage juice and ready to fight...

well needless to say i just quit my job!! only to get a new one as a cameraman...going to zimbabwe..gunna hunt some lion and elephant...i hope thats a little bit safer?
wow unbleivable experiences... and as a fellow wolf close encounterist u know... them yellow eyes will never be forgotten
Old 01-23-2010, 06:26 PM

ever been scared while hunting??

Yeah, when I noticed a trespasser checking me out through his scope.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
ever been scared while hunting??

Yeah, when I noticed a trespasser checking me out through his scope.
yeah even more eery!!!! the only recipe for that is to check him out for just a little bit longer
Old 01-23-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
being put in my situation tho... would u have been scared? not even a little bit? i grew up logging with my family near whitecourt and have seen alot of animals in close quarters that have not scared me... but i assure u i was being stalked and thought of as just the next meal in these canines journey through life... if u wouldnt have been scared i applaud u
Wasn't smudging your experience at all. It was an eery situation that noone wants to be in, I don't care who you are.

When I hunt elk I am usually walking at least an hour to an hour and half before dark....lots of times by myself. Its interesting what goes through your mind.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:12 PM

I haven't read all the replys to your story so I dont know how other people feel about this but.....I have been sitting here, trying FOR THE LIFE OF ME to figure out while in the hell you woulda waited that long to start shooting!!! And then put a post on here about being scared hunting??? I dont mean to personally offend anyone (assuming you are a female) But if you see a Wolf in this province you shoot it!! PERIOD. Let alone a situation like this!!!! This is the most amazing friggin thing I have read in years? (Throw a stick at a wolf when you have a gun!!!) You have got to be kidding me!!!!

Wolves are ABOLISHING (sp) are game numbers day by day and its gonna get way worse before it gets better! I'll GARUNTEE it!!! Do our game and province a favour and harvest some of these wolves!!! Especially if there "scaring" you!!!
Old 01-23-2010, 07:36 PM

Taking pictures of fresh Grizzly bear prints in the mud on a bridge south of Grande Prairie when my hunting partner notices a fresh moose calf kill below the bridge.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:38 PM

scaredest i ver been was when i was out archery elk hunting north of nojack , on my back to the pickem up , i walked out onto a pipe line and looked north and all i seen was a guy standing wth a rifle pointed at me next thing i know i,m picking my self up off the ground wth blood pouring all over me and a horrendous head ache, a 30-30 hurts like you wouldnt believe when it scalps ya, ran 3 miles to the house , so screwd up ran rt past the pickem up, phoned the RCMP , my mother called an ambulance, the rcmp came out cought the guy charged him , in court he got off cuz the cop didnt read him rights word for word off that little card they have,
now if i am wth someone who uses a scope to look at some thing I go nutts on them, and if some one looks at me through a scope i drop, and the go bizzerk on the guy when i get to them , i just come unglued, shake ucontrolably and sweat , its a horrible feeling
Old 01-23-2010, 07:41 PM

Scared ? Nope, NEVER scared - passed a few guys in a "bear encounter " that were, though!
Actually, animals have never given me the creeps, but a few "hunters " have.....
Cat
Old 01-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Banned

Tracked a wounded black bear with two 30-06 bullets in it. The bear circled around, and tracked us.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:19 PM

I was lets say, concerned in this thread twice. Once in a showdown with a Bull Moose, and second when every instinct in me told me I was going the wrong way, but chose to trust the compass.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=43701

Another time, my wife and I were backpacking in K-Country (In a wildland Park) where we know of a beauty spot where there is a natural whirlpool in a small creek (think cold hot tub) where we camp. We had already spent 2 nights, and just as it was getting to be dusk, around 9:30pm (in summer) I just got a really weird vibe. Very hard to explain, but something just felt almost evil. The hair on the back of my neck stood up, and felt as if we were being watched.

My wife and I were in our hammocks, so not sharing a tent. The previous two nights I slept like a baby - these things are SO comfortable - but this night as I was finishing cleaning up supper it was just a really bad bad vibe.

I've spent enough time in the bush to know that sometimes I get the feeling of the boogyman at night, but this was different. So I told my wife that I thought it best we hike out that night without trying to scare her.

The truck was about 15km away, and we hiked it out in about 3.5hrs - just booked it. The last 2hrs in the dark with our headlights to lead the way. Never packed up a backpack camp that quick! I wasn't feeling panic, just felt a really cold mean mean feeling. Although it was wildland park, we were only armed with knives and 2 cans of bearspray.

We never saw, or heard something. But I feel strongly that if we had stayed the night something bad would have happened.

We've been out backpacking numerous times since, and never felt that feeling since. No idea what it was, but I'm thinking maybe a cougar or something like that. It was a real presence I felt. Can't really explain it any other way.

Here's a few pics. At the truck, my expression is a little on the tired side after jogging with a pack for a few hours! We had to cross a river right by the truck, which is why my boots are around my neck.