Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-25-2010, 12:50 AM

so the guy in question is ready to shoot (at) a caribou with another hunter (actually killing his) and doesn't realize the guy has a brake on his rifle! just reaffirms my thoughts on him!! would love to hear the behind it all ?
Old 01-25-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 REM MAG View Post
all of my hunting buddys know that the day they bring a braked rifle hunting is when i stop hunting with them, if the recoil is too much buy a smaller gun, yes they have their purpose but ive been blasted 3 times and i will never again hunt with someone that uses one
Good for you....
I'm sure your ears will appreciate that....I am assuming hearing protection is foriegn to you?
All those shots with a non braked gun do no harm whatsoever!!
Old 01-25-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Nowhere did I say I didnt shoot with hearing protection 100% of the time. I always have earplugs with me when hunting and wear them. Some guys dont, however, and with a brake it becomes even more important.

Yes....guys SHOULD wear hearing protection 100% of the time, but most dont. I started about 4 years ago and it makes all the difference in the world.
So that's the whole point is'nt it??
It must more manly or something(maybe cool) to shoot a high powered rifle braked or not without hearing protection and be deaf at 50.
Yeah braked guns are a menace all right....its more like its the "smart" guy behind the trigger being the problem.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:18 AM

I'm a "smart" guy behind the trigger who wears plugs all the time when I shoot anything, and I STILL hate braked rifles....

Then again, I hate the not-so-smart guys (braked or not) that have zero consideration when shooting around others, ensuring muzzle blast is safe, others have hearing protection in, etc, etc....those guys burn ppl more than anything....
Old 01-25-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
I'm a "smart" guy behind the trigger who wears plugs all the time when I shoot anything, and I STILL hate braked rifles....

Then again, I hate the not-so-smart guys (braked or not) that have zero consideration when shooting around others, ensuring muzzle blast is safe, others have hearing protection in, etc, etc....those guys burn ppl more than anything....
Thats why its nice to have a choice!
Whats the biggest negative for you?
Old 01-25-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
Thats why its nice to have a choice!
Whats the biggest negative for you?
The noise first (even with plugs its a pile of noise, I prefer to shoot a braked rifle with plugs + muffs). The noise combined with the blast that a guy feels in your head while shooting just sucks...lol

I also am not a huge fan of the amount of dust they can stir up in a prairie setting while shooting prone. More of an annoyance than anything.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:50 AM
Banned

i'm love my braked lightweight .270 wsm, so easy to shoot well now and in hunting conditions so far i have been surprised how little it bugs me, was out coyote hunting last weekend with it, killed a couple and missed a few runners on the multiples and was just conscious of where muzzle was in relation to partner and no issues for either of us, just have to be a little aware is all

if you want long range horsepower in a mountain packable rig the brake is lovely....going to the smaller cartridge isn't really an option here imo

i used to curse them, until i owned one, now i like them but they just have to be payed attention to a bit more (by shooter and non-shooters)...not really hard to do so far for me and the guys i've been out with
Old 01-25-2010, 08:11 AM
Gone Hunting

I have custom 7STW braked but when hunting I put cup on it instead break. My hunting partner shoots braked 300 Weatherby and I was blasted but not when he was shooting it was me beeing unaware of muzzle blast reflection ... He ask me to shot it when hunting to see if is set 3" high at 100 y, I got target on drove back 100y and I settle beside car "out of wind" muzzle blast reflected from car and my ear was ringing for next couple of months...
Old 01-25-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
muzzle blast reflected from car and my ear was ringing for next couple of months...
I'm sure you probably know this but ringing ears means irreversible hearing damage. Especially if they ring for that long.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surhuntsalot View Post
I have yet to see the show, but I do know " The Guy With The Muzzle Break". There would have been No complaint from "Pigeon" if he would have got to shoot the bigger bull, and got too shoot first... There was alot of stuff that went on behind the scenes, and that rant was all about pouting that he didn't get his way, and missed at first.

As for muzzle brakes, they allow some shooters to shoot larger caliber's that are more effective on game more accurately. One would think that Ethically that would make sense. I don't have any brakes on my rifles (which inc. a .338 Lapua, and .378 Wby), and can shoot them fine without one. Not everyone is as able to tolerate recoil, and I would sooner see my girlfriend take a moose using a .300 with a brake, than a .243. As for the ones not shooting, you're not holding a gun, so put your fingers in your ears, cover them with your hands, whatever...
You know the fellow ithe braked rifle?
Old 01-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Banned

I am not sure how most of the guys/gals are hunting out there but when I hunt, there is no one anywhere near me when I take a shot. If there are people hunting with you I would think they have looked at your rifle and know if has a break on it, or am I missing something?
I know,,, while you are doing your safety meeting before the hunt and someone is taking the minutes, you should clearly say " I have a break, so everyone please use proper" PPE" while I am shooting"
Old 01-26-2010, 09:29 AM

Break's sure do cause conflict, ya love them or you hate them. The reality is they are the single most reliable way of reducing recoil short of downsizing.

The impact of the noise and the blast cannot be understated, my 338 is an experience when it goes off. But with sound mitigated the rifle is real easy to shoot. Though it takes some consideration on the range, if someone is running without hearing protection (happens lots on sibald) it's there own fault, but the blast wave can be just as distracting, warn the guys beside you, a little consideration and communicatioin goes a long way.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:40 AM

I've guided lots of guyz that used breaks on their rifles. I couldn't give a ratz azz either way. Jam a couple fingers in your ears and let him blast away.

tm
Old 01-26-2010, 09:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
I've guided lots of guyz that used breaks on their rifles. I couldn't give a ratz azz either way. Jam a couple fingers in your ears and let him blast away.

tm
well said. This is a dead subject IMO.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:59 AM

Truth be told....I'd prefer a guy with a brake over a bowhunter ANYDAY

tm
Old 01-26-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
Truth be told....I'd prefer a guy with a brake over a bowhunter ANYDAY

tm
Haha, you have opened a big can of worms here! I'm gonna sit on the sideline and watch this.
(even though I agree with you...)
Old 01-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Banned

From a guiding perspective, I have to agree with Tundra, never tracked any bears shot with a muzzlebreak, but have tracked many shot with a bow.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:56 PM

I've got damaged hearing and partly to blame for that is ---muzzle breaks. However, I do not believe they should be outlawed. First and foremost, anything that makes you more accurate is usually a good thing. Muzzle breaks will make most people shooting large calibers more accurate , especially on second and third shots. They also allow you to get on your target quicker for the second shot. If it makes you more accurate, good. We owe the targeted animal to be as accurate as possible not to mention accuracy could save your life when hunting dangerous game.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDG View Post
I've got damaged hearing and partly to blame for that is ---muzzle breaks. However, I do not believe they should be outlawed. First and foremost, anything that makes you more accurate is usually a good thing. Muzzle breaks will make most people shooting large calibers more accurate , especially on second and third shots. They also allow you to get on your target quicker for the second shot. If it makes you more accurate, good. We owe the targeted animal to be as accurate as possible not to mention accuracy could save your life when hunting dangerous game.

Just my 2 cents.

That is a very good point. Ethically if it makes you a better shot it is a no brianer.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:42 PM

So how many people hear actually have a rifle with a "muzzle break".If you do,how did you break the muzzle?Aren't you scared to shoot the gun with a broken muzzle?