Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-23-2010, 09:28 AM

Rifle noise never bothered me I had my first Magna-Porting done by gun craft in Calgary 26 years ago have shot with KDF's and other brakes no problemo then one day I buy a piano for the house and I start doing the key thing end to end starting low going high get to the last 5 or 6 keys and say to the wife whats wrong with this thing. well the last few keys make no noise just the thud of the hammer? Anyway I cant hear my watch alarm I have to use low pitched rings on my cell in short shooting never bothered me but it sure did hurt me at least my ears.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180+ View Post
If your hunting with a guy what the heck you doing standing beside him!! muzzle brakes work at 90 degree angles!!! If you hunt with somebody that has one atleast be smart enough to get out of earshot!! I use a brake on my .300 wsm and it is louder at 90 degrees but not for myself!!
could not agree with you more where are these hunting partners standing in their buddies back pocket both me and my hunting partner have muzzle brakes on our guns and have nothing to complain about noise,but then again i am half deaf
Old 01-23-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck posse View Post
i was watching a hunting show in wild TV today and the host blamed missing his shot on a hunter beside him using a muzzle break. then at the end of the program he stated that muzzle breaks have no place in hunting. i realize every one is entitled to there opinion but was he over the line?? whats your thoughts on it.
I have also read that they are banned (by law) in most African countries where safaris are conducted.

Probably best to get one that is removeable, so that it can be screwed on at the range then unscrewed for hunting. If you cannot take one or two shots in the field without one then you are using too much gun IMHO
Old 01-23-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bear View Post
Rifle noise never bothered me I had my first Magna-Porting done by gun craft in Calgary 26 years ago have shot with KDF's and other brakes no problemo then one day I buy a piano for the house and I start doing the key thing end to end starting low going high get to the last 5 or 6 keys and say to the wife whats wrong with this thing. well the last few keys make no noise just the thud of the hammer? Anyway I cant hear my watch alarm I have to use low pitched rings on my cell in short shooting never bothered me but it sure did hurt me at least my ears.
Got the same thing going on (plus tinnitis - constant ringing), cannot hear high ranges at all. According to the audiologist the damage is permanent & was caused by shooting.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:51 PM

If you were to watch that show again, you would see that the host fired first. I noticed that as the guy was counting, the host fired, then the other guy fired. I guess the host just couldn't admit to missing on his own account.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:18 PM

I will take Cat's opinion (which I seem to always agree with) a step further...

The last thing we as gun owners and hunters need is another rule saying can't do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by altaberg View Post
would never be caught dead hunting with somebody who has those things on their rifle.

They shouldn't be allowed on ranges with other shooters nearby either.

Gradual hearing loss doesn't take much and is pretty much irreversible.

Get a rifle where you can handle the recoil.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:15 PM

I had a Browning A Bolt 300 Win Mag but I sold it because it was just too loud for hunting applications. I loved it on the range shot 3/4" groups with it at 100 yards and it shot like a 22 Hornet!!!

When hunting I found myself flinching from the noise rather than the recoil. I bought the CR accessory (constant recoil) for the rifle and tuned it back up, shot great once again.

Another disadvantage of the gun was the additional barrel length from the BOSS system. Ended up selling it and buying a different gun.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:30 PM

Muzzle brake or not every animal within a 5 mile radius knows you pulled the pin. So what's the difference? Also for all of you manly men out there that are shooting any firearm without any sort of hearing protection you are going deaf each time you pull the trigger. Sure a muzzle brake makes it worse but you are an idiot each time you pull the trigger without some sort of hearing protection with any firearm. Heck, mowing your lawn with a gas mower for prolonged periods of time will damage your hearing.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:24 PM

All hunters should be required to use a noise supressor. For all the reasons stated above. They are required in some countries, as hearing loss is permanent. By the way they also reduce recoil.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:36 PM
Banned

They were shooting Caribou, and were suppose to fire on the count of seven, how smart is that? He also had a poor rest, not the worst, up against a rock, right beside him was the other hunter with a muzzle break. Although the shot was pretty close, he missed after the other guy shot first,
I wear hearing protection no matter what I shoot, it helps me shoot better, knowing I the bang is not there.
Muzzle breaks improve shooting accuracy,by reducing muzzle jump as-well as recoil, so I see no sense in banning them at all, put your hearing protection on if you don't like them.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:39 AM

I have yet to see the show, but I do know " The Guy With The Muzzle Break". There would have been No complaint from "Pigeon" if he would have got to shoot the bigger bull, and got too shoot first... There was alot of stuff that went on behind the scenes, and that rant was all about pouting that he didn't get his way, and missed at first.

As for muzzle brakes, they allow some shooters to shoot larger caliber's that are more effective on game more accurately. One would think that Ethically that would make sense. I don't have any brakes on my rifles (which inc. a .338 Lapua, and .378 Wby), and can shoot them fine without one. Not everyone is as able to tolerate recoil, and I would sooner see my girlfriend take a moose using a .300 with a brake, than a .243. As for the ones not shooting, you're not holding a gun, so put your fingers in your ears, cover them with your hands, whatever...
Old 01-24-2010, 06:12 AM

One thing is for sure.. Noise effects all of us differently. Dad has had so many blasts from the big gun shooting americans he used to guide that he can no longer stand it much. Even shooting his 264 without a MB on it his ears were ringing this year. Myself, I have had a few blasts from the high powered guys while hunting. I am only 26 and have pretty bad hearing. I am buggared if people have low voices. The Doc figures I will need hearing implants by 40 years old. I am better now at getting out of the blast radius, but that is tough with a MB. Thank god no one I hunt with feels the need to over gun themselves.
Funny story, Had my brother in law hunting 2 years ago for his first time. I gave him the lessons on gun safety but for some reason it wasn't sinking in. Everytime he would bring his gun up he failed to get in front of me. several times I had to make a mad scramble to get behind him. He ended up dropping my bro in laws gun several times and long story short, if he wants to hunt again he will have to buy his own sacrificial gun.

IMO if you need a muzzle break you are way over gunned. But if you feel the need to have a ego booster you will not be standing anywhere near me when it goes off.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Uggh....I shudder when I think of them and the damage they can do. If you dont mind wearing hearing protection 100% of the time and you dont mind the extra noise, then have at it. Personal opinion only but I hate them with a passion.

Personally I'd get one that you can take off for hunting season. Use it for target and off-season shooting and then just go hunt.
You should really using hearing protection when shooting to prevent damage....brake or no brake
Yeah I own a Browning stainless stalker 7mm with the boss system and you learn very quickly not to shoot it without plugs in.
I've got a pair that hang around my neck and take only a sec to put in(on flexible plastic).
I don't even grab the gun till they are in,doing it for over 10 years and seems to work,we get a hearing test every year and mine has hardly changed.
I gotta wear plugs at work in all outside areas so its more of a natural thing for me.
Personal preferences.....I love mine!!

Last edited by madatter; 01-24-2010 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:48 AM

I hunt with a bow now, but when I hunted with a rifle, I spent alot of time on the range. The nicest gun I ever shot was a .280 remington mountain rifle with a brake on it. After shooting that rifle, I was sold. It was like shooting a really loud .22.
However, I don't think I would put a brake on a cartridge chambered in any magnum caliber. The guys who do the research related to hearing loss/damage don't just make this stuff up.
The magnums are rediculously loud. If you have ANY COVER beside you or around you the noise, precussion are let out at '90 degrees' and you get it all back. I guess if you have time to put on double hearing protection, all the power to you.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:18 AM

Default Browning brakes

I bought a 7MM Browning Bar with a muzzle brake and out of respect for my hunting partner I replaced it with a CR boss. Does anyone know if i can just unscrew it and shoot with nothing screwed in the end? The believe the boss is made for fine adjustment, but it just adds two inches to the lenght of the barrel. Thanks

There is no doubt about the extra noise, even the shooter ears ring for a day or two. Trust me
Old 01-24-2010, 08:59 AM

So very true!
Old 01-24-2010, 11:41 AM

I do not like somebody telling me what I should do or not do if they do not have the authority to do so. Pidgeon's opinion is not the law. Hunt with what you want, if your partners do no like it ,you will lose them. Hearing protection is important for all and most important for new shooters or you will end up like me and other on here, with high and low frequencies gone. I agree with Pidgeon's point, not the way he said it.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:50 AM

I hunt with a .308 VTR with a built in brake. It shoots like a dream and the reduction in recoil makes follow up shots much easier. If the guns design makes me a better shot then it's a good thing. As for noise its no louder than my non brake guns.

Using a brake is a matter of personal choice and those who would like to dictate to others what to do. Well they can stick it up their arse. Bad enough we have governments telling us how to use our guns let alone fellow hunters and shooters.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:51 AM
troller

Old 01-24-2010, 03:05 PM

They are an abomination!
On seriously hard recoilers they certainly help with load development, range practice etc etc. However in the field they are unpleasant.

I think if you hunt with one you should have the courtesy to warn those around you. I have had the displeasure of being around a brake-fitted .416 Weatherby. The muzzle blast and 'shock' was terrific.

Barring big bore rifles that really wallop you, where a brake might be necessary, I aggree with those who propose moving to a lighter recoiling rifle (like a .308). Alternatively use a PAST recoil pad or additonal weight on the rifle for range time.

I am big fan of moderators/silencers/supressors. Not only do they tame muzzle blast they also act like muzzle brakes and attenuate recoil (the compressed gas exploding from the muzzle pushes against the front of the moderator and the baffles, effectively pushing the rifle away from you, decreasing recoil). In all but rifles where length and weight savings or a front iron sight is key, I would have my hunting rifles fitted with sound suppressors in a heartbeat, if only it was legal! They are ugly, but on a working rifle function surpases aesthetics for me.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMaster101 View Post
I bought a 7MM Browning Bar with a muzzle brake and out of respect for my hunting partner I replaced it with a CR boss. Does anyone know if i can just unscrew it and shoot with nothing screwed in the end? The believe the boss is made for fine adjustment, but it just adds two inches to the lenght of the barrel. Thanks

There is no doubt about the extra noise, even the shooter ears ring for a day or two. Trust me
I would like to know as well if you can shoot it without boss or the cr.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
My next Rifle i'm buying is going to be a 338-378 Wby Mag,and weatherby makes all there rifles in this cartridge with a muzzle break.I dont really like the muzzle break because it makes the Rifle look goofy.however noise from any rifle with a muzzle break or not ,does'nt bother me.When I shoot at an animal while hunting,i'm so pumped I dont remember hearing the shot or feel the recoil? Must be adrenaline?

I have a 338-378 Wby Mag - you will only fire it once with the brake on and no hearing protection - Shooting at game or not - LOUD ! I have other Wby Mags with different brakes 378 & 416 - they are nothing compared to the 338-378 with the Wby brake for some reason.

I only hunt by myself - usually take the brake off for huning - no big deal.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagewsm View Post
I hunt with a .308 VTR with a built in brake. It shoots like a dream and the reduction in recoil makes follow up shots much easier. If the guns design makes me a better shot then it's a good thing. As for noise its no louder than my non brake guns.

Using a brake is a matter of personal choice and those who would like to dictate to others what to do. Well they can stick it up their arse. Bad enough we have governments telling us how to use our guns let alone fellow hunters and shooters.
Yes could'nt agree more!!
It really does kill me on here when all the experts don't like or don't use something.....really to ban muzzle brakes????
Some people need to get a life and worry bout more important things.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:01 PM

Default Muzzle brakes

Moose hunting is my passion. However, out of respect for the animal I will not go under-gunned. I also suffer from degenerative bone disease in the neck and the kick from my rifle is enough to set off a nerve attack, so I use a muzzle brake. Choice, use a muzzle brake or don't hunt.

What would you choose?
Old 01-24-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
You should really using hearing protection when shooting to prevent damage....brake or no brake
Nowhere did I say I didnt shoot with hearing protection 100% of the time. I always have earplugs with me when hunting and wear them. Some guys dont, however, and with a brake it becomes even more important.

Yes....guys SHOULD wear hearing protection 100% of the time, but most dont. I started about 4 years ago and it makes all the difference in the world.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:19 PM

My partner and I both have muzzle brakes on our rifles. Just wanted to warn everyone that says anyone with a brake won't be hunting anywhere near them. If you see two big guys with S/S rifles with evil muzzlebrakes on them.......GO HUNT SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!
Old 01-24-2010, 09:15 PM

Thomas would have never missed if there was a little clarification before hand. OK shoot on 3, so is that 3 then shoot or shoot on 3. Shoot on 3.
Ok 1 2 shoot or 1 2 3 shoot? Shat man just shoot. Actually Thomas shot 1st and missed and I personally detest the breaks after hunting with a guy that had one on his rifle.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Its called "Auditory Exclusion" and its common in high stress situations, shootings, car accidents, etc.

Pretty cool to read about. Its kinda the same as people seeing things in slow motion, having things go to 'autopilot', 3rd person view, etc. Its the bodies natural response to stressful situations.

Kinda a cool little side-note, but cool to read on if you're into that kinda stuff...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachypsychia

Adrenaline can be your friend!
Old 01-24-2010, 10:54 PM

all of my hunting buddys know that the day they bring a braked rifle hunting is when i stop hunting with them, if the recoil is too much buy a smaller gun, yes they have their purpose but ive been blasted 3 times and i will never again hunt with someone that uses one
Old 01-25-2010, 12:29 AM
Banned

Wow I cant beleive all the people that hate breaks.