Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-22-2010, 06:18 PM

Default muzzle breaks no place in hunting!! your opinion??

i was watching a hunting show in wild TV today and the host blamed missing his shot on a hunter beside him using a muzzle break. then at the end of the program he stated that muzzle breaks have no place in hunting. i realize every one is entitled to there opinion but was he over the line?? whats your thoughts on it.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:23 PM

I agree with him....unless ya hunt alone!!! lol

Man do I hate those things with a passion. They are great for reducing recoil and I dont mind them if I have time to put ear plugs in if a friend is shooting, but for hunting with friends I absolutely hate em....they can cause permanent hearing damage and require a person to wear hearing protection 100% of the time.

They have no place in any of my hunting rifles, and I sure have to trust the guy I'm hunting with to know that he wont take a shot without the other guys around him being prepared...
Old 01-22-2010, 06:28 PM

ive been thinking about getting one on my 300wsm. but dont know if i want to p*$$ off my hunting partner. ive hunted with a few guys that use muzzle breaks, but never really noticed a big difference in noise.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck posse View Post
ive been thinking about getting one on my 300wsm. but dont know if i want to p*$$ off my hunting partner. ive hunted with a few guys that use muzzle breaks, but never really noticed a big difference in noise.
Uggh....I shudder when I think of them and the damage they can do. If you dont mind wearing hearing protection 100% of the time and you dont mind the extra noise, then have at it. Personal opinion only but I hate them with a passion.

Personally I'd get one that you can take off for hunting season. Use it for target and off-season shooting and then just go hunt.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:34 PM

Yup I agree with Rack.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-22-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Uggh....I shudder when I think of them and the damage they can do. If you dont mind wearing hearing protection 100% of the time and you dont mind the extra noise, then have at it. Personal opinion only but I hate them with a passion.

Personally I'd get one that you can take off for hunting season. Use it for target and off-season shooting and then just go hunt.
X2
They can be useful at the range to make shooting more comfortable at the bench but you don't need one when hunting. You won't notice the recoil when shooting at game.Get a removable one like Rack says then your good to go.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailhntr View Post
X2
They can be useful at the range to make shooting more comfortable at the bench but you don't need one when hunting. You won't notice the recoil when shooting at game.Get a removable one like Rack says then your good to go.
Useful at the range where you have lots of people around

If everyone was equipped wit double hearing protection ie: plugs and head set they would be fine.

I think if the gun bugs you that much "gun down" ,if a brake prevents you from haven a twitch you can bet it will give one to your buddies
Old 01-22-2010, 07:15 PM

Only ever shot a rifle with a brake ONE time without hearing protection. I came across a guy I work with while out hunting...he asks me to take a shot with his rifle (a 300. Win) cause he thinks his scope is out....OK. Saw the brake on the barrel...but never thought twice about it.

I pulled the trigger....AND SWEET MOTHER OF @&^#$T!!! My ears rang for three days (literally).

Damn rifle was dead on...
Old 01-22-2010, 07:26 PM

If your hunting with a guy what the heck you doing standing beside him!! muzzle brakes work at 90 degree angles!!! If you hunt with somebody that has one atleast be smart enough to get out of earshot!! I use a brake on my .300 wsm and it is louder at 90 degrees but not for myself!!
Old 01-22-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bear View Post
Useful at the range where you have lots of people around

If everyone was equipped wit double hearing protection ie: plugs and head set they would be fine.

I think if the gun bugs you that much "gun down" ,if a brake prevents you from haven a twitch you can bet it will give one to your buddies
Everyone i know wears proper hearing protection at the range. Seen many guys use them at the range and have never been bothered by it.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:50 PM

i love my 300wsm and with the limb saver i barely feel it even at the range. the reason i was thinking about a break was the GF want to try shooting it and im worried that the recoil will hurt her and make her shy away from wanting to shoot anything else. im thinking of picking up a 270 win with limb saver and low recoil rounds for her to shoot.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:01 PM

The fellow the the brake has the responsibility to make sure he doesn't harm anyones hearing. Just my opinion.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck posse View Post
i was watching a hunting show in wild TV today and the host blamed missing his shot on a hunter beside him using a muzzle break. then at the end of the program he stated that muzzle breaks have no place in hunting. i realize every one is entitled to there opinion but was he over the line?? whats your thoughts on it.
I saw the very same show last Sunday at 8am. I found his comment odd as number one he was making an excuse for missing and number 2 he was making a pretty opinionated statement saying brakes had no place in hunting. Right or wrong he is entitled to his opinion but it was as though he was giving the guy crap for showing up with a brake on his gun.

My thought is that you are the expert hunter with your own show and all so maybe you should know better than to stand beside a guy shooting with a brake and maybe you should wear eye protection. In my business it's called Hazard ID. .02
Old 01-22-2010, 08:08 PM

I have a 300 WSM Browning with the boss on it. Let alone someone around me it is unbearable to shoot without hearing protection. I also have the so called cover to replace the boss but it is still very loud. I like the gun but am considering either selling it or having the boss cut off and muzzle re-crowned. I agree that it is OK at the range but it is a way worse than I thought it would be. Anyone else out there having the same issues with the boss?
Old 01-22-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180+ View Post
If your hunting with a guy what the heck you doing standing beside him!! muzzle brakes work at 90 degree angles!!! If you hunt with somebody that has one atleast be smart enough to get out of earshot!! I use a brake on my .300 wsm and it is louder at 90 degrees but not for myself!!
Get out of earshot? So maybe in an adjacent WMU?
Old 01-22-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I use a brake on my .300 wsm and it is louder at 90 degrees but not for myself!!
I have fired several guns with brakes,and have owned two myself.Most were louder to the shooter with plugs and muffs combined,than with muffs only and the brake removed.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:33 PM

Default Boom!!!

I bought a 7mm ultra mag 3 yrs ago after seeing how a buddy's gun performed. I am 5'10 190lbs and with his gun I was getting a flinch. I bought one and put a break on it and love the performance. i wear plugs all the time with it. But yes it is fricken loud. I dont think i could shoot it without a break though. i like to use mine for sitting in stand and my a bolt 7mm mag for pushes or rattling or still hunting. or in the truck...haha... in a stand by myself it is ideal. i can truly make a shot accuarately at 400 to 500 with a rest and feel confident. so i am for a break in certain scenarios. not to mention, the knock down power of the ultra mag is awesome
Old 01-22-2010, 08:53 PM

They are louder even if you are not at 90 degrees. The sound is dispersed at different angles and is able to bounce back at you from lots of different objects. Rocks, trees, whatever. The holes aren't just on the sides of the barrel. You can even feel the concussion while beside and behind the shooter. I was shooting beside a guy with a 300 win mag at the range and his barrel was probably 12 inches farther ahead of mine. When he shot he actually flipped pages over on my log book. My book was about 4 or 5 feet away and slightly behind him. Nowhere close to 90 degrees! I sat in the truck until he was done.
I personally feel that if you hunt with someone else they must know when you are shooting. For every party involved they should have proper hearing protection or long term damage can occur.
Not a fair gadget to use with a partner.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:16 PM

Muzzle brakes? I HATE the danged things! HOWEVER, it is certainly not my place to say they should be outlawed!
That is just foolishness.
If a person wants to hunt with one, get after it , i say - just not around me!!
Cat
Old 01-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Gone Hunting

I think if the recoil of a 300 WSM scares you that bad...then maybe look at a caliber that you can handle and shoot well...dead is dead...you just don't get to tell the stories about how you killed your deer at 600 yards with a "Super whatever Magnum" , are you serious you need a brake on a rifle for Elk and Moose?????
Old 01-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Banned

I think they are great. I think that if you shoot a big gun it take alot of the kick away.As for hunting I also hunt with walkers game ears so I can here everythink and the shot id deadend.I hunt alot by myself but if I am with another I will give them more than enough time before I shoot to cover there ears. They are the loudest thing in the world. I dont care If you are sitting 30 feet away you know it.I would tell you to try a mercury rod before you put a muzzle break on cause I hate putting those things in my ears.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:37 PM

I don't even like being next to someone at the range with one!!! Not only are they really loud, but when you're next one, you can "feel" it when they shoot!!! Drives me nuts.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormachek View Post
I don't even like being next to someone at the range with one!!! Not only are they really loud, but when you're next one, you can "feel" it when they shoot!!! Drives me nuts.
Icant beleive they let them at the range.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:43 PM

My next Rifle i'm buying is going to be a 338-378 Wby Mag,and weatherby makes all there rifles in this cartridge with a muzzle break.I dont really like the muzzle break because it makes the Rifle look goofy.however noise from any rifle with a muzzle break or not ,does'nt bother me.When I shoot at an animal while hunting,i'm so pumped I dont remember hearing the shot or feel the recoil? Must be adrenaline?
Old 01-22-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
MMust be adrenaline?
Its called "Auditory Exclusion" and its common in high stress situations, shootings, car accidents, etc.

Pretty cool to read about. Its kinda the same as people seeing things in slow motion, having things go to 'autopilot', 3rd person view, etc. Its the bodies natural response to stressful situations.

Kinda a cool little side-note, but cool to read on if you're into that kinda stuff...
Old 01-22-2010, 10:09 PM

would never be caught dead hunting with somebody who has those things on their rifle.

They shouldn't be allowed on ranges with other shooters nearby either.

Gradual hearing loss doesn't take much and is pretty much irreversible.

Get a rifle where you can handle the recoil.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailhntr View Post
Everyone i know wears proper hearing protection at the range. Seen many guys use them at the range and have never been bothered by it.
You must go to them thar fancy ranges 50% of our people wear plugs or Head sets of different grades 85 db requires hearing protection and most standard equipment reduces sound by about 23 db a ported 300 win mag can produce 3 X and you will reduce 23 db maybe 50 db with good protection

What did you say
Old 01-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Banned

It is sumed up easy. You want one-go get one. You dont -dont. As for hunting partners just show some respect for there hearing and there opinions on it.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
When I shoot at an animal while hunting,i'm so pumped I dont remember hearing the shot or feel the recoil? Must be adrenaline?
Whether you remember it or not,it can still damage your hearing.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
My next Rifle i'm buying is going to be a 338-378 Wby Mag,and weatherby makes all there rifles in this cartridge with a muzzle break.I dont really like the muzzle break because it makes the Rifle look goofy.however noise from any rifle with a muzzle break or not ,does'nt bother me.When I shoot at an animal while hunting,i'm so pumped I dont remember hearing the shot or feel the recoil? Must be adrenaline?
Protect your ears Tyler you would be pretty mad if you couldnt hear again.