Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-09-2009, 06:24 PM

Game farms...for the health and preservation of land and our natural wildlife should be napalmed. Not sorry for my strong opinion.

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:29 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
Not good at wording things....

The disease part of this topic, in my eyes, just don't float.
Really?

The game farming fiasco gets deadly serious.
by Darrel Rowledge

I am fully committed to putting the privatization/commercialization of wildlife issue through a thorough and public assessment. - Ralph Klein, December 1992.

For years I was hopeful that Mr. Klein would live up to his word, not just because the case against game ranching is so overwhelming, but because virtually all of the disastrous consequences predicted by wildlife scientists have been arriving like clockwork - and at great cost to taxpayers.

An epidemic of TB on game farms in the 1990s cost Canada its TB-free status, valued by Agriculture Canada at a billion dollars in lost trade. Forty-two people had to begin treatment for TB and dozens of elk and deer remain missing from infected/quarantined game farms.

Incredibly, the Alberta Government's response was to resist any legitimate analysis. It even lobbied to stop any federal assessment. Covering up the Alberta Government’s self-serving role in creating this mess appears to be much more important than integrity, safety and legitimate public process. Now, several alarming developments may finally spell the end of the cover-up.

In Saskatchewan, transmissible spongiform encephalopathy (TSE), which was found in dead elk on game farms in 1996 and 1998, has been confirmed in six more game farm herds this past year. There are no live tests for TSE and it is always fatal.

As was the case when Britain first found TSE in cattle (mad cow disease), it has not yet been scientifically proven that TSE from elk has been transmitted to humans. However, the latest science indicates transmission to humans isn’t out of the question. Also, we now know the many bold reassurances from the British Government regarding mad cow disease were horribly wrong. More than 80 people are now confirmed dead from TSE contracted by eating contaminated beef and scientists fear there may be hundreds of thousands of more deaths to come.

Scientists have further confirmed that, in addition to nerve and bone tissue long considered the most likely sources for transmission - blood can also transmit the disease. In Saskatchewan, at enormous cost to taxpayers, officials are killing more than 1,500 game farm elk in an effort to stem the spread. Yet velvet antler - nothing but blood, bone and nerve tissue — is still being sold for human consumption, mostly in Asia where it is a prized aphrodisiac.

On October 18, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) began to destroy velvet from diseased animals even though Dr. George Luterbach of the CFIA says they are “fairly confident” that people will not acquire the disease from contaminated velvet.

Luterbach acknowledges that they have made no attempt to recall velvet already sold from animals now proven diseased, they have not attempted to notify anyone marketing velvet, and they have made no attempts to warn those who may still be in possession of potentially contaminated products.

Citizens in Montana have had enough. In November, voters passed a ballot initiative that will end the sport shooting of penned animals and phase out game farming. Among their main concerns? Diseases like TSE recently confirmed for the first time in that state — on a game farm.

No evidence of TSE has yet been found in Alberta’s 30,000 game farm elk, but rather than caution or undertake serious review, the Alberta government has been manoeuvring to lift the import ban on elk and deer. Then again, this industry has been a ‘pet project’ from the beginning.

The initiative to privatize and commercialize wildlife was first introduced in a thin 1984 White Paper, the Big Game Ranching Discussion Paper. Don Sparrow, Minister of Forestry, Lands and Wildlife, committed to complete participation of the public prior to any such changes. In February 1985, after a groundswell of opposition, the Minister declared the issue “on hold.”

In April, Judd Bunnage from Alberta Agriculture co-founded the Alberta Game Growers Association and was elected Secretary-Treasurer. The Association’s self-stated purpose was to “unite game producers in Alberta to form an active, official lobbying group promoting the betterment of game ranching.” The Alberta Government had assisted in the formation of a group to lobby itself!

By late 1985 the Government was secretly drafting extensive regulations to allow the industry. In October 1986, they released the Game Ranching Issues Discussion Paper. This version was as shallow and biased as the previous; it turned out that the authors were both members of the Alberta Game Growers Association.

With the release of the 1986 paper, the public input process began. Submissions were allowed until April 1, 1987. The Minister reiterated that “the views of the public” would determine the fate of the industry. Conservation groups were told by the Government not to submit form letters because they would not count.

In the meantime, the Elgersma family, cousins of Peter Elzinga - Minister of Agriculture and currently Premier Klein’s chief of staff - secured a game farm permit and imported 149 elk, gamble of at least $300,000. In a pyramid breeding scheme, those in first stand to make the most.

Documents obtained through U.S. Freedom of Information legislation also show that Norman Moore, brother Marvin Moore who was then Minister of Hospitals and a former Minister Agriculture, had begun to import elk by October of 1986. Marvin Moore later became Ralph Klein’s campaign chair.

In December 1986, Don Sparrow appointed the Alberta Game Growers Association to the Wildlife Advisory Council. Larger organizations, actually interested in wildlife conservation, continued to be denied access.

In January 1987, an Alberta Agriculture research report confirmed that public research money ($96,000) had been directed to support game ranching. Judd Bunnage was appointed “Head of the Animal Breeding and Game Ranching Section.” In that capacity, and on Government letterhead, he asked all Agricultural Service Boards to support game ranching in the public participation process and provided form letters for that purpose.

By February, Bunnage confirmed large numbers of elk imports by people "speculating that the game farming regulations are going ahead." He admitted that “both Agriculture and Fish and Wildlife are pressing for game ranching.”

On February 26, 1987, by secret Order in Council (no.121/87 Don Getty Chairman) the Government legalized the industry! The “Captive Wildlife Regulations” provided for the sale of antlers, velvet, trophy heads and other body parts, and made available for sale virtually every species of publicly-owned birds and mammals.

Two days later, the Minister responsible declared to the Alberta Fish and Game Association’s annual convention, “I am going to oppose game ranching. I am going to tell my colleagues that.”

The public was still being told that the issue would be decided by public input. In March, Dennis Surrendi, Assistant Deputy Minister of Forestry, Lands and Wildlife, told a large audience in High River that there is no need to send in further letters opposing game ranching because the Department had been swamped.

April 1, 1987: The exact day of the supposed deadline for public input, the “Captive Wildlife Regulations” come into effect, thereby legalizing the industry.

June 10, 1987: The Wildlife Advisory Council is told that 75% of 2,000 submissions favoured game ranching. The numbers are questioned because the Zone 2 Chairman (there are 6 zones) of the Alberta Fish and Game Association had collected and sent in more than 2000 responses opposing game ranching.

July 29, 1987: Minister Don Sparrow refuses to release a breakdown of the letters received but by late August he admits that the public input process had been skewed. Sparrow is immediately shuffled out of the wildlife portfolio. Replacement LeRoy Fjordbotten says he will oppose game ranching.

October 1987: The Provincial Ombudsman is asked to investigate the public input process. His finding, released in May 1988, confirms that the public input process had been manipulated.

By mid-1988, Agriculture Canada began lobbying the US to change their TB test because scientists had proven it grossly unreliable. The US refused. Under pressure from politicians, Agriculture Canada continued to allow imports relying on the flawed test.

May 2, 1989: During the election campaign Premier Getty states: “Game ranching is not allowed in Alberta, and the Government is not considering allowing it.” Aids scrambled to say that he meant for hunting and meat sales. A year later his Government introduces legislation to expand the industry, transfer jurisdiction to Agriculture, and provide for the sale of meat. Wildlife Minister LeRoy Fjordbotten explains “one of the nice things about politics is that you can change your mind.”

July 5, 1990: TB is confirmed on Melvin Elgersma’s farm - the largest game farm in the province. By November, TB is also found in Cliff Begg’s elk. Agriculture Canada suggests that, unlike the practice with cattle where compensation payments are limited to $l,500 per animal, compensation for elk will reflect “market value,” as much ~ $12,000 per animal. They later reduce it because of public outcry.

July 19, 1991: Agriculture Minister Ernie Isley announces that the province will help finance the establishment of market for elk meat. About half the game farm elk in Alberta had been slaughtered because of TB.

December 1, 1992: During the Tory leadership race, Ralph Klein signs a written promise: “I am fully committed putting the privatization/commercialization of wildlife issue through a thorough and public assessment.”

April 23, 1993: At the instruction the Minister of the Environment, the Environmental Protection Advisor Committee considers the pending review. They recommend that the matter be sent to the Natural Resources Conservation Board. On May 7, the Minister of the Environment confirms that the review will proceed, irrespective of a election.

Five days later, a letter from Premier Klein, dated April 22, arrives declaring that there will be no review. Klein states that there will he no review. Klein states that the issue had been thoroughly reviewed by experts prior to the introduction of the industry. He says these experts had determined the industry was feasible and had addressed all concerns in the white papers released to the public. Klein further suggests that the consideration included broad public input, the majority of which was in support the initiative.

TB is still being found. About 3,000 animals are eventually destroyed. The nation-wide epidemic has cost taxpayers tens of millions of dollars. Animals remain missing from some infected quarantined farms.

June 10, 1993: In response to pointed questioning from the Calgary Herald Klein denies having reneged on the review. He promises that either the Natural Resources Conservation Board or some other panel will review the industry.

September 1995: During a meeting with leaders of Alberta’s environment organizations, Klein is presented with full documentation of the corrupt process outlined above. Again, he promises an investigation and public review.

We’re still waiting.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
Red dont just take TJs opinion and make it yours, he has never hunted a ranch so he has no experience as to what its all about, this is his Personal opinon. he doesnt hunt behind fences...

Your not considered a killer just becasue you hunt 100000 acres of fenced ranch. Your still on a adventure that you have no idea is going to turn out. The food, the language,the tracking.

The experience on a ranch is the exact same as a free range outfitted hunt also. whether your in south africa hunting plains game or argentina for Red Stag, new zealand for Fallow deer ,Audad in texas, Wild Boar in alberta its still an adventure and extremely fun hunt.
You make it what you want.

I would never give any kid or adult the perception that hes not on a true hunt or adventure just because hes hunting a ranch. These are huge areas and alot of hunting experience and fun can be had on there.

I strongly suggest not giving up a experience just because someone says thats a penned hunt,becasue you might have the hunt of a lifetime.

not taking T.J side Pat i just dont really know enough about fenced hunts. thats why im asking questions. one of my dream hunts is for red stag in argentina and to tell the truth never knew it was in a fenced area. will that stop me?? not likely. same with fallow deer in new zeland.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:59 PM

The potential for disease and the possibility of escape are not worth the risk, never mind the ethics behind it....for me anyways. For me it somehow changes the sport from hunting, to killing......call it what it is.

I grew up in an era where the stories of Jack O'Connor and Herb Klein took me to far away places and I spent countless nights dreaming of basins full of elk and sheep bedded on high ridges. Now some hunting mags, particularly US ones, are full of stories that I expect are from hunt farms, hence the "how to" themes rather than telling us a story. No offense intended TJ.

Somehow, for me, the legalization of hunt farms will bring an end to my perception of the sport and ruin it for me somewhat. The "trophy" aspect dissappears as no one will really know if an animal is legit or not, fair game or not, and like most things, money will talk.

I'd like to see an end of game farming permanently. It was no better than a pyramid scheme to start with, anyone who ever researched it had to know that. Hopefully the hunting community can come together for once and get behind Quentin to send a very strong message.

Craig
Old 12-09-2009, 10:08 PM

sheephunter

Read most of that stuff before.
My main point was that Alberta used to collect and test cattle. When this free service ended, then farmers, with cattle that have been worth so little over the past seven years, are now dumping them in bush lines and pits.
They are not being tested. (out of site, out of mind and no BSE)

Over the last seven years the loss of money over the cattle industry makes the "blip" over "Game Farms" look like the common cold.

Then there are animals in general. Humans included.
Bunch any of them up in small enclosures (cities), and problems will happen.
World travel will compound this.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:42 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
sheephunter

Read most of that stuff before.
My main point was that Alberta used to collect and test cattle. When this free service ended, then farmers, with cattle that have been worth so little over the past seven years, are now dumping them in bush lines and pits.
They are not being tested. (out of site, out of mind and no BSE)

Over the last seven years the loss of money over the cattle industry makes the "blip" over "Game Farms" look like the common cold.

Then there are animals in general. Humans included.
Bunch any of them up in small enclosures (cities), and problems will happen.
World travel will compound this.
I hear what you are saying but I don't buy into the school of two-wrongs make a right.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:50 AM

CWD was introduced into the wild deer herd In Saskatchewan by the game farming industry there. The disease spread to Alberta. In a controversial effort to contain the disease, the deer population in the eastern portion of our province has been drastically reduced. The last thing we or our wild deer need is something which would provided a boost to this ill-conceived, disastrous industry. Write your MLA and express your strong opposition to the idea of "kill farms". I did earlier this year and it looks like it's time to do it again.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:02 AM

Game farming was flawed from the beginning. Ask the Emu, Ostrich, Lllama, pigeons, ect farmers out there. Sure the first 5 years are great selling eggs for $10,000, selling breeding pairs for $50,000. The ones who get in frist and out first make a killing.
It is the honest farmer who takes the chance that get screwed.
Alberta will start looking like the hunting channel and hunters like the schmuck from Arrow Affiction. Between Ramp and this crap hunting in Alberta will not look the same. Once the private land farms are established then it is a matter of time untill crown land is involved. There is public land that qualifies as agricultural .
Old 12-10-2009, 08:08 AM
Gone Hunting

270WIN. Sounds great, but writing letters accomplishes nothing. If I were wrong, you wouldnt have to write another one now would you. I am 100% with you, but have thrown my arms in the air.... Why do people go blindly against what so many have claimed and proven wrong?? Honestly,,, If you wanna make a difference, get a terminal illness, get fed up with these beurocrats crap, and go on a rampage with your Win model 94 30-30. Any other attempt is nothing more that a futile effort at promoting any change for the better in todays world.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 12-10-2009, 08:20 AM

Wild boar was brought in to start new adventures, well they have. Vermin in some counties. There have been game farm gates accidentaly left open,opps and then our overextended enforcement officers have to go help round up these escapies and sometimes they shoot them. more ASRD buget used to look after a problem brought here by the mighty agricuture department.
GAME FARMS BROUGHT CWD TO ALBERTA. some walked across the Sask border but they got it from GAME FARMS. Making them profitable by canned hunts will just bring back the ones that quit and start new ones. Remember T.B. in the elk farms. Letting Elk farms go to agricuture will be the same as beef. Shoot, shovel and shutup. Yes AFGA is keeping this issue in the public eye and we do need your help. It would be very bad for our wildlife. and yes I was shouting
Old 12-10-2009, 08:31 AM

Packhuntr Remember the crane hunt we were supposted to have this year. One extra letter from a kid in school cancelled that whole hunt. Each and every letter sent in does help a politician make up his mind, and we can make canned hunts taste bad to the politicians, we do not need 30-30's we need stamps
Old 12-10-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Yes but most cattle farms are not high fenced....hunt farms are surrounded by game-proof fence that prevent natural movement by ungulates.

You'd hope regulations would be in place but game farming has a very long history of nasty diseases. The big difference is that most diseases that domestic cattle carry do not readily tranfer to wild ungulates. A disease that a tame elk or deer has transfers easily to wild populations. Also, rounding up a bunch of cows that break through a fence is a fairly easy task but you lose tame ungulates into the wild population and the door is opened for disaster. That's what keeps me awake at night anyhow.
hey SH while i see your points and generally agree with them..it seems like you are arguing both sides of the proverbial fence here......in that you don't like a fenced area because it limits the the natural movements of ungulates...but then you are worried about spreading disease from farmed to wild ungulates..i believe that is what the fence is for..to keep them separate?

unless you are meaning that the fence will disrupt the natural movements of the ungulate population that was in place before the farm was established..?

just clarifying what you mean.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Your not considered a killer just becasue you hunt 100000 acres of fenced ranch. .
Well, I suppose if someone wanted to buy and fence 100,000 acres, and had the tens of millions of dollars to do it, my hunting ethics would be satisfied. But a couple of sections? uh uh. I suspect the disease problem still stands even with a giant ranch. Also, if you have a huge fenced area with captive privately owned animals, wouldn't that mean that area is now not available to native game? That's 100,000 acres of habitat removed.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:29 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
hey SH while i see your points and generally agree with them..it seems like you are arguing both sides of the proverbial fence here......in that you don't like a fenced area because it limits the the natural movements of ungulates...but then you are worried about spreading disease from farmed to wild ungulates..i believe that is what the fence is for..to keep them separate?

unless you are meaning that the fence will disrupt the natural movements of the ungulate population that was in place before the farm was established..?

just clarifying what you mean.
Yup, that's what I mean.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:38 AM
sheephunter

Here's a very long but very worthwhile read on game farming in Canada.

http://www.oag-bvg.gc.ca/internet/En...6_e_28811.html
Old 12-10-2009, 09:40 AM

The reason we are having this discussion is because there are individuals out there with hundreds of thousands of dollars in high fence surrounding pastures that are empty of animals, the elk are long gone with the market crash. The big bulls they had left are shipped out to Saskachewan to hunt farms. These guys want some more return on there inital investment so they are lobbying the politians to open up the laws to allow hunt farms. These guy's have no interest in the future of albertas wildlife. They are thinking about today and the so called lost oppertunity. Lost money in the bank. The worse thing is that some of these individuals have some political pull and contribute funds to the Conservitive party. So usually when that happens the party will at least give them a voice.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Well, I suppose if someone wanted to buy and fence 100,000 acres, and had the tens of millions of dollars to do it, my hunting ethics would be satisfied. But a couple of sections? uh uh. I suspect the disease problem still stands even with a giant ranch. Also, if you have a huge fenced area with captive privately owned animals, wouldn't that mean that area is now not available to native game? That's 100,000 acres of habitat removed.

Yup you are absolutly correct in this aspect, all of the above reasoning's by the posters shed a whole lot of light on the issue.
Until we have these discussions there is alot of aspects a person specifacally myself doesnt think about.
The land it takes away, what you would do with the animals in the land, the disease, the fences,the habitat everything about the whole issue.
I tend to forget that alot of the countries ive hunted are 100s of years established and thats the way it is over there.

Here and in alberta it isnt that way and these reasons are why and its been proven. But like i say there is a ton of reasoning why it shouldnt be and a person doesnt think of them all until fellas like you throw it out in a discussion.
In alberta and with this discussion and what links have been posted that i read i already in 24 hours have a different outlook on ranch hunting here in alberta.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Yup, that's what I mean.
cool, thanks for the clarification.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Banned

I really don't see how this can even be considered.. How many mistakes do we have to make until we figure out to just leave well enough alone. These farms are proven disease incubators that's written in stone what is there to even consider.. It is like the fish farms in B.C. these things are proven disease carrying farms they are devastating to our wild Salmon stocks yet the government continues to approve more of them,,, just blows my mind.

The only reason this is even being considered in the province right now is because we have a farmer as a Premier and he is very partial to farmers. Not that being a farmer is a bad thing or that that is why he is an idiot its just that because of who he is they have a very strong voice right now. We went through the same thing with Ralph in his last couple years. He is married to a Metis women and he gave them a gift with the harvest agreement. These people will push through their own agenda's.. We have to watch this one boy's...
Old 12-10-2009, 01:59 PM

I happen to know a fellow South of Calgary with an Elk Farm....He has been hinting for years that the government is eventually going to bail them out....The Velvet and Resturant market has all but dried up....I hope this decesion hasn't already been made.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270WIN View Post
CWD was introduced into the wild deer herd In Saskatchewan by the game farming industry there. The disease spread to Alberta. In a controversial effort to contain the disease, the deer population in the eastern portion of our province has been drastically reduced. The last thing we or our wild deer need is something which would provided a boost to this ill-conceived, disastrous industry. Write your MLA and express your strong opposition to the idea of "kill farms". I did earlier this year and it looks like it's time to do it again.
Have done so.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:03 PM

Does anybody know if this was brought up at the Fish and Game meeting in Edmonton this past week end?
Old 12-22-2009, 07:36 PM

Default MLA reply

Here is the reply I recieved today from my MLA regarding hunt farms. Sounds like he is very much aware and in support of them.

Thank you for your e-mail regarding game farms and Chronic Wasting Disease.

Alberta currently has 450 farmers ranching 45,000 elk in Alberta, under strict conditions to avoid any occurrence of CWD. Elk ranching is a government-regulated industry controlled under the Livestock Industry Diversification Act. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) regularly inspects elk herds and tests for illnesses such as tuberculosis and brucellosis, and to ensure their elk are free from chronic wasting disease (CWD), Alberta ranchers comply with the Alberta government’s Mandatory CWD Surveillance Program. Consequently, only one case of CWD was found in Alberta prior to 2002, and since 2002, 20,679 ranched elk have been tested and no cases of CWD have been found.

I would encourage you to contact the Alberta Elk Commission at http://www.albertaelkcommission.com/ with any concerns you may have about CWD.

Leduc-Beaumont-Devon

Chair, Capital Region Caucus

Member, Treasury Board
Old 12-22-2009, 07:53 PM

well start talking to your new wildrose party member, cause fast Eddy is already on the way out this will just, help aliennate, the rest of the P.c. vote.Hunt farms in sask a bush are not taking part in any way shape or form to cwd testing, for all we no it could be rampant, one breeched fence could put all the west wild deer in jepardy. But money talks and bullsh$t walks.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WkndWarrior View Post
Here is the reply I recieved today from my MLA regarding hunt farms. Sounds like he is very much aware and in support of them.
Doesn't necessarily mean he's in favour of them - he's just towing the company line. Same response we've been hearing for years.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miskosky View Post
Doesn't necessarily mean he's in favour of them - he's just towing the company line. Same response we've been hearing for years.
Are the stats he quoting consistant with what you've heard as well? That's why I had the impression he is on board.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WkndWarrior View Post
Are the stats he quoting consistant with what you've heard as well? That's why I had the impression he is on board.
Stats that I have are for the end of 2008, so I imagine they are close to today's real numbers. His elk numbers have to be way off unless there was a sudden massive import into the province... let's hope not. From Alberta Agriculture:

Game Farms in Alberta - 406

Game Farms with Elk - 312

Elk on Game Farms - 22,992

Deer Farms in Alberta - 77

Whitetails on Game Farms - 4,584

Mule Deer on Game Farms - 99

Reindeer on Game Farms - 139
Old 12-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=redneck posse;452240]..

if hunt farms did get approved would it not mean better hunting and more draw chances for albertans? ]

IMO, if the bouncing ball stopped here, one might take a second, short look at this. I was at a political forum a while back when a question concerning "canned hunts" was asked of Pearl Calahasen and she was at that time very much in favor of it. From the way she answered the question, I could see myself, in the near future, being the one HAVING to hunt from behind the fence while others, with no present restrictions, would be free to travel the bush with impunity.. That was the DISTINCT impression I got and it SCARED me..
Old 12-23-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
you know what we were just talking about this and how alot of stuff is changing in the old world nowadays, so a couple guys were stating that there dead against the hunt farms and how much land would be enough to actually have one so that u would have to actually hunt them. I listened for a bit then i asked them.

If i was to go up to north of red earth 100 miles and bought 4 sections of land, fenced it with 8 foot, and had a established game farm in there where i seriously managed the elk,deer, bison, and you knew there was potential for a great fun week of hunting would you go. One guy said depends on the price, one guy said well if it was 4 sections or 16 quarters of land you would never see the fence anyway so why not. and the third guy told me that i would never be able to do it so i wont have to worry about it.

Now i will admit i owned and raised domestic elk, ive had 380 class bulls in the fatherinlaws farm, i owned 4 bull calfes off mr twister, i had the time of my life raiseing the elk and watching them grow from calves to full mature bulls.

So if it was in no mans land and the perimeter was this big would you still have the same thoughts about game farming.

I of course being one to try anything have hunted inside a perimeter, i hunted red stag with archery in argentina , i have hunted africa and to tell you the truth never seen the fence and had a great hunt, so im on both sides of the fence here.

It is legal in saskatchewan and i know there successful in operating these farms.
And if i could seriously manage the herds and ungulates of each specie to where you had a serious trophy farm would it not be worth it.

I am totally opening myself up for alot of discussion here and will probly take a blasting for this but i bet alot of people have a different outlook on it if it didnt affect rural communities and didnt take away anybodys land to hunt on.
I just love to be around trophy animals and have a huge passion for hunting that i actually would love to have a huge ranch full of game. I know move to saskatchewan right, lol.
Well said !!
Old 12-23-2009, 08:44 PM

Default Game Farms

Blackfoot Mutli-Use Area is the biggest hunt ranch in Alberta. I have no problem hunting elk, deer and moose behind this game fenced area. A $45 tag to harvest a game in this area, only 20 minutes from my house, is the best deal around. The disease and parasite threat from this area is non-existent. Rather I am more concerned about the disease and parasite threats posed by the domestic livestock that borders the Blackfoot or is allowed into the area for summer grazing. TB and brucella are cattle diseases that have caused major problems in elk and bison. Alberta has an intensive testing program to insure that our bison and elk herds remain free of these diseases. Animals on Alberta game farms are tested for many diseases and treated for major parasite infections. Disease and parasite concerns related to game farms are highly exaggerated.
wapiti11