Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-09-2023, 07:53 PM

Default Harassing wildlife with a plane and interfering in a hunt?

Like the title says, there’s a red and white plane flying around the Strome area, that is interfering in people’s goose shoots. It’s certainly intentional. What can be done about it. Thanks for your advise.
Old 09-09-2023, 08:17 PM

We have had the exact same happen to us southeast of Camrose. Video. Pictures. Get the call number of the plane if visible. That is interfering with a lawful hunt, and thus a chargeable offence.
Old 09-09-2023, 08:19 PM

Default Report a poacher.

They must have numbers on the plane.
Report them to fish and wildlife.
Old 09-09-2023, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Like the title says, there’s a red and white plane flying around the Strome area, that is interfering in people’s goose shoots. It’s certainly intentional. What can be done about it. Thanks for your advise.
What did you wind up doing about it last year? Did you try the transport canada route, or video recording it?

Honest question if you were able to get any head way on stopping it for a bit at least.
Old 09-09-2023, 08:42 PM

Default Harassing wildlife with a plane

Pretty sure it’s a well known waterfowl outfitter in the area. Any guesses?
Old 09-09-2023, 09:18 PM

You think with the vast number of birds that go through that area that an outfitter cares that your setup in a field?

Any of the bird hunters I know from Strome area give away their birds left and right as they can't eat em all. Sounds like you need to make new friends in the area.
Old 09-09-2023, 09:19 PM

If you can share a picture of the plane I'm sure I can find out who owns it... going to guess their not purposely interfering with your hunts... but who knows.
Old 09-09-2023, 09:31 PM

Default Harassing wildlife with a plane.

I have many great friends all over the area. Lived here the last 30 years. Right now goose shoots aren’t spread out as much as they will be in a couple of weeks. Most of the crops are still standing. Just a few select pea fields are available, and when money is involved, some people will go to lengths to mess with others and try to screw it up for them. I’ve seen it done many times in the past. I could go on and on, but you get it…Unless you’re right here seeing what I’m talking about, you probably shouldn’t really comment.
Old 09-09-2023, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Pretty sure it’s a well known waterfowl outfitter in the area. Any guesses?

I know of one for sure that Flys his own plane. Not saying it's him of course.
Old 09-09-2023, 09:49 PM

Default Harassing wildlife

Yep, me too. Going to be ready with the video camera next time. Will get the numbers and go from there. Thanks to the gentleman who provided helpful advise.
Old 09-09-2023, 09:58 PM

Transport Canada may have things that they can do.
But as for interfering in a legal hunt, sadly its a court date, and if found guilty is a fine. Even for a outfitter.
Sadly a sheep out fitter in the Blackstone was videotaped last year interfering in some others ram hunt.
He was charged and fined. That was it.
Of course still a member in good standing with APOS
There was a local lady around here that has been fined about every year
To her its worth it because us nasty hunters should not be killing things.
Old 09-10-2023, 11:04 AM

So to recap. You have lived in the area for 30 years. You did nothing last year when it happened. It's happening again. Your alluding to who it is but pretending you don't know for sure...

It would take 30 seconds to ask around to know 100% who it is. At which point lodge a complaint.

Being that there's so few fields would Your logical next step be to approach the fields not getting harassed? Approach the guy you suspect it is?

Seems you just want to point s finger at one person without actually saying it. If you did nothing last year I'll guess you'll do nothing again this year.
Old 09-10-2023, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
We have had the exact same happen to us southeast of Camrose. Video. Pictures. Get the call number of the plane if visible. That is interfering with a lawful hunt, and thus a chargeable offence.
That plane was obviously driving birds away from our setup, he hung around long enough to drive off several flocks by approaching them, as they came over our field. Unfortunately, we were not able to make out the numbers on the plane.
Old 09-10-2023, 11:13 AM

We had the same thing happen quite a few years ago, we were going up after a Ram. This chopper came in the valley seen us and then flew up to the Rams and hovered low over the Rams and spooked them right out of the valley and over the top of the mountain. They were gone in a matter of minutes. Later on in the evening we found the chopper sitting at the ranger station and we reported the incident and guess what, nothing ever came of it!!
Old 09-10-2023, 10:19 PM

Default Harassing wildlife

Thank you to the gentlemen who have shared experiences and advice on this issue. This will be handled in the appropriate manner, and hopefully something will come of it. To the other member who has 32 posts on this forum, you must be new here. Your comments will be ignored, and chalked up to ignorance. Everyone have a good day.
Old 09-10-2023, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmsmith View Post
If you can share a picture of the plane I'm sure I can find out who owns it... going to guess their not purposely interfering with your hunts... but who knows.
Some people are so unhelpful.... if only you had a way to figure out who's flying the plane.
Old 09-20-2023, 09:00 PM

How low does he fly? It's illegal to fly within 500 feet of people, buildings or vehicles unless taking off or landing, so if they're doing that, Transport Canada may be interested. To say nothing of the obvious stupidity of flying toward a flock of large birds..

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2023, 09:56 PM

If it’s an outfitter do him a favour and find his goose hunts for clients. Find their setups in the fields and watch for the geese coming in. When they do let a salvo of rounds off with your shotgun will watching from the road. Nothing he can do as you can say you’re hunting upland and can discharge a firearm from the road. Couple ****ed off clients and maybe he’ll get the picture
Old 09-21-2023, 09:24 AM

Just man up and go see Claudio and confront him about it. He uses his plane to scout for birds, so maybe he didnt see you or maybe he did it on purpose. No one will ever know the truth.
Old 09-21-2023, 09:33 AM

Had a guy with chopper liked to use it to hunt rams on Blackstone. I was half way climbing up the mountain to the rams, he lands on river sand bar, then comes across my horses tied to trees. He hightailed it out as realized jig was up before I got his chopper numbers.
Old 09-21-2023, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmsmith View Post
You think with the vast number of birds that go through that area that an outfitter cares that your setup in a field?

Any of the bird hunters I know from Strome area give away their birds left and right as they can't eat em all. Sounds like you need to make new friends in the area.
The Outfitters are not concerned about bird meat, they ate concerned about being able to get exclusive hunting for their clients .
If they chase birds out of one area they will more than likely head over to another , ideally with the Outfitters clients and guides in it . Thatvis the whole idea behind spooking someone's spread.
Cat
Old 09-21-2023, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
The Outfitters are not concerned about bird meat, they ate concerned about being able to get exclusive hunting for their clients .
If they chase birds out of one area they will more than likely head over to another , ideally with the Outfitters clients and guides in it . Thatvis the whole idea behind spooking someone's spread.
Cat
Exactly, birds feeding on land that they have no access to, are competition for them, when they are driven off, the competition is removed, and the birds might even go to a field that the outfitter can access.
Old 09-21-2023, 10:40 AM

Default Harassing wildlife with a plane and interfering in a hunt?

Did the plane look like the one in this picture?

Last edited by Stinky Buffalo; 09-21-2023 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-21-2023, 12:26 PM

I've seen that plane numerous times while hunting.
Old 09-21-2023, 12:50 PM

Is anyone else running into people checking for animals with drones? I’ve had it twice now where a drone buzzes over at the crack of dawn to check clearings and cutlines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2023, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Just man up and go see Claudio and confront him about it. He uses his plane to scout for birds, so maybe he didnt see you or maybe he did it on purpose. No one will ever know the truth.
Is that who the ops whining about? I think he just wants to whine and not do anything. Multiple years now with same issue and he hasn't had a conversation with the guy he thinks is purposely ruining his hunts.

He lives in awesome country, with amazing hunting opportunities filled with amazing locals. Its weird he thinks there isn't an easier way to sort out this problem.
Old 09-21-2023, 07:38 PM

I had an outfitter a couple weeks ago because I got permission before he did to hunt. His guide asked how many we were in our group. I said just me. He was shocked and said "you are hunting this huge feed alone??" I said yes. He asked if I would delay my hunt a day to accommodate his clients and join them. I said "not interested, I don't like hunting in a group larger than 2-3 and I don't like your boss". He shrugged and left. Next morning I am about 10 minutes into legal shooting time and have a limit of ducks down and waiting on the geese.
From the roost I hear a single "bang!" and 1/2 mile away up goes about 8,000 geese. I ended up getting one snow goose for the remainder of my sit. I can't say for sure it was the outfitter or his guide but I did see the guides vehicle coming from the road to the roost a few minutes later. Karma is a bitch. I know all the major and hidden roost areas they draw from and have no issue returning the favour. It wouldn't be the first time.

Last edited by Frank_NK28; 09-21-2023 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-21-2023, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post

Mark: C-GGCE
Common Name: Cessna Model Name: 170B
Serial No.: 20406
Basis for Eligibility for Registration: CAR Standard 507.02, 507.03 - Type Certificate - A799
Category: Aeroplane Engine: 1, Piston
Max Take-Off Weight: 998 kg
24 Bit Address: Bin=110000000101010010111001, Octal=60052271, Hex=C054B9
Regional Office: Edmonton
Base of Operations: Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA
Manufacturer Information
Manufacturer: Cessna Aircraft Company
Country of Manufacture: U.S.A. Year of Manufacture: 1952
Registration Information
Type of Registration: Private
Owner Registered Since: 2007-08-03
Latest Certificate of Registration Issued: 2007-08-03
Registered Owner Information
Name: Ongaro, Claudio
Address: 339 Hollick Kenyon Rd
City: Edmonton Postal Code: T5Y 2T4
Province/Territory/State: Alberta Country: CANADA
Old 09-22-2023, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post

From the Canadian aircraft registry:

Mark: C-GGCE
Common Name: Cessna Model Name:170B
Serial No.:20406
Base of Operations: Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA

Registered Owner Information

Name: Ongaro, Claudio
City: Edmonton
Province/Territory/State: Alberta Country: CANADA

If he is using his aircraft to harass other hunters, and interfere with their hunts, he should be charged accordingly. Don't hesitate to report to Fish & Wildlife and Transport Canada.

Mr Conservation
Old 09-22-2023, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post
I had an outfitter a couple weeks ago because I got permission before he did to hunt. His guide asked how many we were in our group. I said just me. He was shocked and said "you are hunting this huge feed alone??" I said yes. He asked if I would delay my hunt a day to accommodate his clients and join them. I said "not interested, I don't like hunting in a group larger than 2-3 and I don't like your boss". He shrugged and left. Next morning I am about 10 minutes into legal shooting time and have a limit of ducks down and waiting on the geese.
From the roost I hear a single "bang!" and 1/2 mile away up goes about 8,000 geese. I ended up getting one snow goose for the remainder of my sit. I can't say for sure it was the outfitter or his guide but I did see the guides vehicle coming from the road to the roost a few minutes later. Karma is a bitch. I know all the major and hidden roost areas they draw from and have no issue returning the favour. It wouldn't be the first time.
This also happened to a family friend of mine a couple years ago. He was walking out to hunt a piece of mine early one morning by himself. He watched a small suv come up the road and a guy jumps out running across the field and fires a couple shots at the birds scaring them out of the field. He said it sounded like a .410. The guy then runs back to the small suv and they drive away. From his description of the vehicle we have a good idea who it was.