Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2007, 02:35 PM
FiveO

Default Utikima Salvage Netting

I read on another board they are going to salvage net Utikima in fear the lake is going to winter kill?. This means a poop load of nets and netters filling there boots with fish. Has anyone here heard of this?. I think they should let the anglers salvage fish if this is the case.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:06 PM
jt

I heard that as well. I had the same thoughts as to why they cant let the recreational angler takes a few more fish home as a method of salvaging the fish in the lake.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:48 PM
Duffy4

They probably feel they need to remove a large number of fish RIGHT SOON. In order to 1. utilize the fish rather then having them waste and 2. allow the fish left in the lake a chance to survive. A net fishery will accomplish this better than a sport fishery.

Perhaps the legislation is in place to allow a lake to open for a salvage net fishery and to make a bag limit change for sport fishing may be a bit more complicated and time consuming.

If the the above is a factor, they should make the appropriet changes in the regulations so they can increase sport fishing limits in a "quota season" situation.

Robin in Rocky
Old 03-15-2007, 09:36 AM
FisherPotch

Bump. Anybody get anymore info on this?