Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-26-2013, 06:47 PM
Banned

Cabalas has cameras on the parking lot.

Obviously this stuff was insured.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunters_wife View Post
This has actually crossed our minds as well...we even wondered about the hotel staff maybe?! No, the trailer was a beige inclosed, but it did have a tribal design with an American flag on it. And the truck was a brand new truck...so maybe they thought that there MUST be something good inside?! They didn't do any shopping in Canada before they stopped in Edmonton (at least not that I know of), but that is definitely a possibility that someone could have heard them speaking of their hunt. The hotel choice was random as they just drove until they got tired, and turned in to the closest hotel.
I didn't think to get the information to Cabella's employees, that's a good idea as well. I will contact the store and see what can be done. They may have someone in there scouting out to see how much things are worth to sell?! Hell...maybe they don't care of the worth and will sell it for anything?!

Thank you so much!
That sucks big time!! I hope they get caught and your belongings are returned. But as for the "new truck and something good inside", this is alberta most people make $150,000 plus and there are a ton of us with brand new trucks so I'm sure you were targeted because the obvious fact of being a tourist, just as we are traveling abroad. Good luck on your hunt and getting your things back.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:57 PM

Good luck getting these guys. Nothing ****es me off more than theives
Old 11-27-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2oil View Post
That sucks big time!! I hope they get caught and your belongings are returned. But as for the "new truck and something good inside", this is alberta most people make $150,000 plus and there are a ton of us with brand new trucks so I'm sure you were targeted because the obvious fact of being a tourist, just as we are traveling abroad. Good luck on your hunt and getting your things back.
Thank you! I've never been to Canada, but after looking up Edmonton, it looks like you guys are an oilfield town too. That's what we are here is a little oilfield boomtown. Amazing with all the $ that can be made honestly that thieves still think they can just TAKE what they want instead.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:41 AM

Hope they catch the D-bags...none of my buisness but when i am traveling hunting i would "Never" leave my firearms in a truck or trailer unattended...not to mention the high end glass that was taken! Hope insururance helps you out
Old 11-27-2013, 11:46 AM

Default guns

I may have missed this, but did you post a list of the make/model of rifles? It would be good info to know and may help id the thief.

Also with this knowledge, you can monitor Canadian Gun nutz website as well.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:11 PM

Very sorry to hear of your situation. A couple of times a year it seems trailers are stolen from Edmonton hotel parking lots. Most of the time the trailers stolen are out of province licence plates too.

The thefts usually make the local news so you may want to let local media know of your situation too. Even though the trailer was recovered the items lost are still news worthy.

Police could direct you to local news media.

I wish you well in the rest of your stay and am hopeful the thieves are caught.

Regarding thieves in a oil boom town. The flowing of oil and money attracts thieves too.
----------------------------

A suggestion to everyone regarding this type of theft. Paint numbers on the roof of the trailer, so police arial surveillance can be utilized. If you are unhitching your trailer in a parking lot get a ball bearing the size of your ball hitch and lock the ball bearing into the hitch. Or a removeable hitch. And have a jack handle that is removable so thieves cannot operate the jack. Motels and hotels on the outskirts of a city are most likely targeted more. Put a motion activated theft/gps tracking chip in the trailer.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz View Post
I may have missed this, but did you post a list of the make/model of rifles? It would be good info to know and may help id the thief.

Also with this knowledge, you can monitor Canadian Gun nutz website as well.
Yes, I have a post on Gun Nutz as well. I wish I could edit this original post to include what we've learned as the days have gone by, but here is a list or rifles:

*1-Christensen Arms RUM/Nightforce 5.5-22 scope with custom BDC turret (this gun will not have it's bolt, as my husband still has that)
*2-Rem 300 wsm/Swarovski 416 TDS 4 scope
*3-Browning 270 wsm/Nikon scope
*4-Weatherby 270 wsm/Nikon scope
*5-Browning x-bolt 270 wsm sn# 13500ZX354 with a vortex viper pst 6x24x50 FFP
*6-Remington 700 30-06

I've also left a message with the number listed for the gun show this weekend in Edmonton, but have not received a call back. I was hoping to get this information to them as well.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Very sorry to hear of your situation. A couple of times a year it seems trailers are stolen from Edmonton hotel parking lots. Most of the time the trailers stolen are out of province licence plates too.

The thefts usually make the local news so you may want to let local media know of your situation too. Even though the trailer was recovered the items lost are still news worthy.

Police could direct you to local news media.

I wish you well in the rest of your stay and am hopeful the thieves are caught.

Regarding thieves in a oil boom town. The flowing of oil and money attracts thieves too.
----------------------------

A suggestion to everyone regarding this type of theft. Paint numbers on the roof of the trailer, so police arial surveillance can be utilized. If you are unhitching your trailer in a parking lot get a ball bearing the size of your ball hitch and lock the ball bearing into the hitch. Or a removeable hitch. And have a jack handle that is removable so thieves cannot operate the jack. Motels and hotels on the outskirts of a city are most likely targeted more. Put a motion activated theft/gps tracking chip in the trailer.
Great info! Thank you for sharing and helping others to avoid this problem. Agreed...our boom town has the same issue. We're just a small town, so the thieves are usually more easily apprehended.
I just called CTV in Edmonton and gave them to story, so we will see if they can help get the word out as well. Thank you!
Old 11-27-2013, 12:46 PM

Just a wild guess idea, but:
That's quit a load of stuff brought in for a hunting trip. You mentioned cameras. Was your husband here to film a hunting show and had a lot of sponsor gear, etc.? If so, you might want to contact WILD TV, which is Canada's main hunting and fishing network and is, I believe, headquartered in Edmonton. Never know... they would have some people pretty wired into the Alberta hunting scene and retail market.

If not, I got nuthin. Hope they catch the guys.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:52 PM
Banned

Glad at least they were able to continue their hunt. Something will come to light on this sooner or later....I hope!
Old 11-28-2013, 11:02 AM

Here's another Canadian gun forum with a strong Alberta membership:

http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/forum.php

Hope the pr*cks are caught soon.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 11-28-2013, 11:31 AM

Seen a 30-06 for sale on "gun bidding wars Alberta" on Facebook that was missing the bolt.....Might want to have a look.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReayMan View Post
Seen a 30-06 for sale on "gun bidding wars Alberta" on Facebook that was missing the bolt.....Might want to have a look.
Just requested to be added to the group and will take a look. Thank you!
Old 11-28-2013, 05:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReayMan View Post
its a ruger
Old 11-30-2013, 07:14 AM
Banned

Please keep us posted on how you are making out recovering the stolen items. I know alot of people that are keeping their eyes peeled on this.

Today being the last day of General hunting how did they make out? All of our family wish them the best of luck!!
Old 11-30-2013, 09:42 AM

i just bought that 30-06 ruger with no bolt if you need any info on the seller i can help you there the seller is from edm area you can contact me at foxhunter540@msn.com
Old 11-30-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter540 View Post
i just bought that 30-06 ruger with no bolt if you need any info on the seller i can help you there the seller is from edm area you can contact me at foxhunter540@msn.com
Awesome! Hope with your info these scumbags can get taken down! cops dont overly care about regular hunting items, but stolen firearms, theyll be on that like white on rice
Old 11-30-2013, 09:57 AM

well its got my mind going on this deal i just won the bid last nite and sent a email to him on shipping it and not a answer yet
Old 11-30-2013, 10:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
well its got my mind going on this deal i just won the bid last nite and sent a email to him on shipping it and not a answer yet
Why not report the seller to the Police and have them pick it up?

Did the seller have other rifles listed?
Old 11-30-2013, 11:15 AM

no other rifles as of yet..could be out hunting since last day for some of us....i never paid for it yet as waiting on his return email....its not one of the missing guns...but missing bolt has me wandering...if its another rifle from somewhere else... once i have i have a serial number i can run a check on it thanks
Old 12-03-2013, 08:03 AM

how is the search going any leads at all????
Old 12-03-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
The 30-06 that was stolen is actually a Remington...but I would still be somewhat leery of why it doesn't have a bolt?! I probably wouldn't have been before this all happened...but now it would make me wonder.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:52 PM

I had an attempted theft of truck & cargo trailer last Feb. I believe thieves assume there is value in the contents as well as the contents of the truck. In my case the trailer was empty & the door unlocked. All they had to do was open & look.

I feel your pain all to well. I as well will be watching guns for sale with no bolts. Very, very sad this kind of thing happens.

I highly doubt the perps are on this forum. Too busy feeding their habits.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:57 AM

Angry

Thieves are the scum of the earth far as I am concerned and I will be keeping my eyes open too and hope when they catch these scumbags that they spend lots of time in jail...but I have lost a lot of faith in our Judicial System as of late.

Jim
Old 12-31-2013, 09:18 AM

how is yer search going ???
have you heard anything at all ???
Old 12-31-2013, 06:25 PM

For some reason you can not see her info to see if she has been on lately. I wonder if her account was disabled for some reason.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:26 AM

I'm guessing the perps will part this stuff out to look less suspicious. Have been observing several nightforce scopes for sale but without serial numbers it would be all but impossible to know. Maybe I missed it but if the guns were brought across the border would CSA have tracked serial numbers? One would think they will have difficulty selling the rifles without bolts. Is it possible they could part out the rifles as well? Makes me ill to hear this stuff going on. Oh and kijiji. Some get away with advertising on there using terms such as boomsticks so that kijiji doesn't get a wiff of it. Just saw a Weatherby on ther not long ago.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:28 AM

Oh you poor family...this is absolutely awful!!! As everyone has already said...nothing is more disgusting than stealing!!!!
Can you tell us anything more? We can all watch for the vehicle especially if it has body damage, it should be easier to spot!!!
Description of the scum bags or even how many....I agree it had to be planned as your trailer does not sound " light" or easily moved.
I sincerely pray that you get answers, your stuff and justice and hopefully soon!!!
So very sorry....
Old 01-01-2014, 07:43 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Just a thought as to why would two hunters from the states require so much gear for a whitetail hunt?
Hope all is returned and they catch the guys because a thief is a thief but my question still stands, just seems to be a lot of gear.