Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-22-2010, 08:52 PM

Default first wolf down today need some advice

2 years of looking and got lucky today. not much to tell road hunting but i did get a really nice med sized gray female very healthy and shiny. i will try and post pics tmrw. I now need to know what to do with her? how much would it be to do a shoulder mount? vrs getting the hide tanned i have her wrapped in garbage bags and burried in the snow is it ok to freeze the whole carcass and what is the best way to skinn the wolf for a shoulder mount or if i just decide to bleach the skull if you were me tann it or mount it im unsure of the pricing but its such a nice looking animal it might be worth the cost im a little worried freezing it whole ungutted might wreak it any advice guys
Old 01-22-2010, 09:23 PM

Freezing it whole will not wreck it. Google some taxidermists in Alberta and check websites for prices. If I were you I'd do a rug rather than a shoulder mount.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_m View Post
Freezing it whole will not wreck it. Google some taxidermists in Alberta and check websites for prices. If I were you I'd do a rug rather than a shoulder mount.
x2
Just what James said!
Old 01-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Banned

x3
Old 01-22-2010, 09:40 PM

Rug is nice, but 1000. + . Having my last one done, as a shoulder mount, 600. I all ready have a rug and thought a shoulder mount would be a good way to display it and there's room for only so many rugs. If you're going to do a shoulder mount, talk to your taxi guy, before you skin it. I got some flak.
Grizz
Old 01-22-2010, 10:37 PM

Just a dry tan is nice and only a couple hundred bucks.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge runner View Post
Just a dry tan is nice and only a couple hundred bucks.
thats what im thinking . do you dropp of the whole skin paws attached? what about the ears? any tips on the best way to bleach the skull.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:55 PM

I like the paws attached. And I turn the ears otherwise there hard. As for the skull find some one with beetles.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:35 PM
Banned

beetles are ok, but boiling it is quicker and in my opinion a nicer final result. get a pot big enough to completely submerge the skull. my own is a 30 that i got from the salvation army for 3 bucks. do your cooking outside cuz it stinks. fill your pot with water and a handful of borax. the borax emulsifies fat and reduces likelihood of staining. it can be done without, but whichever. remove as much meat and tissue as you can, then boil for 2.5-3 hours. then, put on your rainsuit and head to the carwash. a quick blast from a pressure washer will remove all tissues fairly easily. be sure to stick the tip right into the brain cavity and sinuses. then go back home and fill your pot with fresh water, and for me 3-5 litres of 3% peroxide from walmart. boil the head in that mixture about 45 minutes or so. thats it, all done. some guys like to use the 30% peroxide straight up. it usually has to be special ordered and isnt cheap. in my opinion though, it will turn the skull an unnatural gleaming white that to me doesnt look real. just preference. if you go with these instructions, you are done start to finish same day and total cost icluding propane for the stove is under 15 bucks. i just finished my 7th head for this season, and all turned out great. also, "bleach the skull" is just an expression. dont use bleach as it attacks the sutures where the bones are fused together, and everything can get loosened and actually fall apart. if you want to try and hav more questions you can pm me. good luck.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:10 AM

I agree a rug is very expensive!! I took mine into Halford $180 to be tanned and for the skull bleaching...peroxide. Works like a charm. If you can get higher percentage peroxide just soak over night and it is all done!! No boiling required. My skull turned out great
Old 01-23-2010, 05:17 AM

best to get that hide off before it turns green and the hair slips, as well call a taxidermist, ask him whats best way to skin it they are the ones working on it after you
Old 01-23-2010, 09:21 AM

If you are unsure of what you want take it to a good taxidermist have him/her skin it split the lips turn the ears and the paws you can have it tanned and even hang it for a long time to come if you decide you want a rug or even a shoulder mount sometime down the road it can be done. A good taxidermist will be happy to help you out.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Rug is nice, but 1000. + . Having my last one done, as a shoulder mount, 600. I all ready have a rug and thought a shoulder mount would be a good way to display it and there's room for only so many rugs. If you're going to do a shoulder mount, talk to your taxi guy, before you skin it. I got some flak.
Grizz
Holy prices jump that much in the last couple years? My rugs (wolf and cougar) were 500 about 4 years ago and its a great job. Wow guess im not getting any more rugs done if thats the price now!
Old 01-23-2010, 09:31 AM

rugs are around 150$/foot so it doesn't take much to hit a grand.If I ever get a wolf I would still get a rug done or a full mount.

timba
Old 01-23-2010, 10:59 AM

I would not be leaving the carcass in plastic bags covered with snow for very long unless you are absolutely certain that it is frozen all the way through. It may just be sitting in there and cooking itself from the inside since bags and snow will hold the heat in and insulate it from the above air temperature. Best to get it skinned sooner than later.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:54 AM
Banned

hey gallery....no boiling required????? how do you get the meat and tissue off then? i agree the boiling with peroxide as a final step is not absolutely neccessary, but it saves time.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:49 PM

Eh how bout those Pics you said you'd get up today????

MM
Old 01-23-2010, 07:55 PM

Default pics

sorry cant post yet in frt mac. thanks for the replys ive opened it up so some fresh air can freeze it better its -20 here so it should be ok till i get home shes frozen solid now and getting air . im going to bleach the skull as decribed above skin it out as best i can and take it in for tanning when i get back to edmonton ill get some pics to share thanks alot guys. this is my first one so itll be trial hopefully not too much error and if i get a big one then ill go for the rug or head mount.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
hey gallery....no boiling required????? how do you get the meat and tissue off then? i agree the boiling with peroxide as a final step is not absolutely neccessary, but it saves time.
Tried to boil it and next to skinning it lol that was the smelliest thing yet. I took the whole head put in in peroxide over night, washed it and took off the big pieces with a wire brush. Soaked it again over night in a new solution, washed cleaned cavities with a pipe cleaner, crazy glued the back of his brain department where the 30 cal went through and put him on my shelf where every wolf should be haha Can show pictures if you want but I can post tomorrow
Old 01-24-2010, 10:30 AM
Banned

you definately wanna get him strung up back the back feet and get the guts into chest cavity to prevent slipping, a wolf has tremendous body heat. As for the skull i would only use beetles, boiling it drives the grease into the bone and your skull will turn like a light brown color. Canadian custom skulls in drayton will beetle,whiten and seal a wolf skull for like 160 bucks. If you have never skinned a wolf before your better to take it to your taxidermist, i have skinned quite a few in my time and it takes quite a few hours to skin,and flesh, the feet are tedious especially if you dont know what your doing.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:40 AM

You went and killed a critter without knowing what you were going to do with it?

Two years and you still don't know! I'm not impressed Dude!
Old 01-24-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorhunter View Post
You went and killed a critter without knowing what you were going to do with it?

Two years and you still don't know! I'm not impressed Dude!
not out to impress you. dont worry ill make good use of the animal. it wont be wasted at all. Just looking for advice on methods and prices.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagencounter View Post
not out to impress you. dont worry ill make good use of the animal. it wont be wasted at all. Just looking for advice on methods and prices.
Killed a wolf - I'm impressed. No pictures yet - I'm not impressed.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fehr View Post
Killed a wolf - I'm impressed. No pictures yet - I'm not impressed.
decided to take it to taxidermist and get it done right i dont have a digital camera and havent been able to borrow one so i guess you will see the finished product. sucks im going to go buy a disposable so i have at least a few pics.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:43 AM

Here is the pic of my bleached wolf skull
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0023.JPG (97.9 KB, 111 views)
Old 01-26-2010, 12:41 PM

Bring it back to Edmonton and come over to my place. I will show you a tanned hide here and give you a video to borrow on how to bleach the skull yourself.....
Old 01-26-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Bring it back to Edmonton and come over to my place. I will show you a tanned hide here and give you a video to borrow on how to bleach the skull yourself.....
that would be great im up north again but ill pm you when i get back. the wolf is at the taxidermist so im commited now . getting a shoulder mount and skull bleached for a pretty good price. expect it back mid summer.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:46 AM

Wow, I'm surprised at prices for a rug. Is it that much more work compared to just having the hide tanned?

If I ever shot a wolf(Or should I say when?) I'd probably pay the taxidermist to skin it an all to be made into a rug so it would be done correctly.

I like the look of a rug better then a shoulder mount, I've seen a shoulder mount and didn't care for it. Personally if wasn't going to make a rug out of it would spend the extra dough and get a full mount, those are cool looking.