Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-24-2010, 07:23 PM

Default Am I hunting out of season ?

This is really a reply to a thread of someone putting a deer out of it's misery trapped in a fence for days, then getting charged.

I live in an area with lots of deer and a lot of deer get hit by vehicles. For this reason I carry a ball peen hammer.

Last winter I spotted a buck dragging itself along the ditch with a broken back. I went back and whacked it in the head with the peen of the hammer. I leave the carcasses for the ravens and eagles. No, I do not notify F&G either. What for? To wait for 8 hours for someone to show up. I will not let an animal suffer like that.

What is the general opinion. Am I hunting out of season?
Old 01-24-2010, 07:29 PM

Legally, yup .

Just call F&W first it takes 2 mins, most cases they will ask where it is, and not need you there. but on occasion, they might authorize you to morally do the right thing.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:39 PM

only if the season is closed.....otherwise I'd say if you had a tag with you, you would be ok.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai View Post
This is really a reply to a thread of someone putting a deer out of it's misery trapped in a fence for days, then getting charged.
I don't believe he got charged....he said they threw it out.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_m View Post
I don't believe he got charged....he said they threw it out.
yeah that was me lol....and yeah they threw the case out...
Old 01-24-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
only if the season is closed.....otherwise I'd say if you had a tag with you, you would be ok.
Very true.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:

What is the general opinion. Am I hunting out of season?
Who cares? Next time you see one, get out of your truck, make sure no one is around, hit the thing on the head, get back in your truck, drive away, don't worry about it, don't over-analyze it, don't talk about it on the internet.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delburnedave View Post
Who cares? Next time you see one, get out of your truck, make sure no one is around, hit the thing on the head, get back in your truck, drive away, don't worry about it, don't over-analyze it, don't talk about it on the internet.
X2 like the guy on the other thread regarding aggressive grizzlies where the possum cops have better things to do.....shoot, shovel, and shut the $^%& up.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
I went back and whacked it in the head with the peen of the hammer.
I've scoured the regs and I don't see a min or max weight for a ball peen hammer. So I'm not sure if it's legal.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Legally, yup .

Just call F&W first it takes 2 mins, most cases they will ask where it is, and not need you there. but on occasion, they might authorize you to morally do the right thing.
I have called F&W wice for such,...

the reply...

"Where are you...yup, go ahead. It's not on the road still is it?..."

Why does it always seem like such an issue to take the two minutes to call F&W?
Old 01-24-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn?Narn. View Post
I have called F&W wice for such,...

the reply...

"Where are you...yup, go ahead. It's not on the road still is it?..."

Why does it always seem like such an issue to take the two minutes to call F&W?
Sounds like you may have talked to some officers that possess common sense, not all do.

Even if you were charged with hunting out a season, I think it would be pretty tough to convince anyone, let alone a judge, that a ball peen hammer is a weapon commonly used for hunting.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:15 PM

humm...ball peen hammers..... weapons..... humm...registary.....tax source...
thank god the liberals are out ...

shoot shut up shovel true words from a pc

derek
Old 01-24-2010, 09:21 PM

Thumbs up call 1st

bout 3-4 weeks ago Iwas on my way into C A C with my son to fling some arrows we past a buck that had been hit on QE2 and was dragging itself into the ditch I placed a call to F&W via RaP line and told them where it was .the officer called back and said if I had a weapon to go ahead and put it down as she was in Rocky she also said I could take the deer for coyote bait. pretty easy and no tickets
Old 01-24-2010, 10:41 PM

personaly...i dont give a fuk what Fish cops say... last season..november i was heading home it was dark and the vehical in front of me hit a doe...they didnt even stop on the road the slowed down then drove off... i stoped to look at her and see how bad she was...it was not a great sight so i went into my jeep pulled out my 30-30...shot her in the head and dragged her into the ditch...did i report it NOPE... if i would have i would have gotten charged...personally i feel awful when an animal has to suffer so i always carry my big buck knife just in case...
Old 01-25-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFisher View Post
personaly...i dont give a fuk what Fish cops say... last season..november i was heading home it was dark and the vehical in front of me hit a doe...they didnt even stop on the road the slowed down then drove off... i stoped to look at her and see how bad she was...it was not a great sight so i went into my jeep pulled out my 30-30...shot her in the head and dragged her into the ditch...did i report it NOPE... if i would have i would have gotten charged...personally i feel awful when an animal has to suffer so i always carry my big buck knife just in case...
That's what I would have done too.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:29 PM

Yeah, i always have a knife in the truck, alot of animals get hit on the highway around here an it happens often seeing a wounded animal in the ditch, i would rather end its misery then to wait for f&w..it could take up to an hour or more for them to get out there sometimes, why wait when you can do what they are gonna do anyways,..saves the animal from alot of suffering it doesnt need to go through..
Old 01-25-2010, 09:38 PM

I think you did the right thing.

This is what I think. If you call F&W about an animal that has been hit. What are they going to do? Come to the scene and shoot it when you are right there and you could just do it yourself.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter10 View Post
I think you did the right thing.

This is what I think. If you call F&W about an animal that has been hit. What are they going to do? Come to the scene and shoot it when you are right there and you could just do it yourself.
Unfortunatly one wrong person watching,and no season or tag, and you could end up not hunting for awhile.

It's a 2 min phone call, make the call, and they will probably tell you to do it if they think it will take them awhile to get there.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:05 AM

Coming back from the range one day we came across a guy standing next to his slightly beat up motorcycle on the side of the road. Stop to ask if he is alright and he says "yes all is well hit a deer and the fish cops are on the way" about 30 seconds later they show up. Now this was a while back but I am pretty sure the fish cop started walking towards what we believed to be the deer about 150 yards off of the road with just his side arm... really? Truck full of appropriate firearms and he walks after it with that?
Old 01-26-2010, 10:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungodly View Post
Coming back from the range one day we came across a guy standing next to his slightly beat up motorcycle on the side of the road. Stop to ask if he is alright and he says "yes all is well hit a deer and the fish cops are on the way" about 30 seconds later they show up. Now this was a while back but I am pretty sure the fish cop started walking towards what we believed to be the deer about 150 yards off of the road with just his side arm... really? Truck full of appropriate firearms and he walks after it with that?
his 9mm wouldve worked just fine... whats wrong with that?