Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-25-2010, 09:20 AM
Banned

Default coyote hunting story from this weekend

good coyote hunt on sunday so i thought i would share. called 4 in, 3 were close enough to shoot at (400ydsish) some how we missed them all.

one old boy was about 1000yds downwind circling to see what was up, luckily i sprayed coyote urine all around us so i'm sure that would have been the only thing he smelt. i howl, he turns and looks waiting to see what he's just been invited to. i fumble for the jack rabbit call in my bag of hunting goodies and give it about 8 good blasts. the coyote turns and heads more directly down wind of our location trying to find out if it's an easy meal to share on or if it's a trap (and it is ). i don't want to take my chances that he could smell us so i howl once more. again he turns, stops, and looks directly at us. this time i go for the pleading chicken on my electronic caller it's louder and not as common for hunters to use. fooled by our trap he bolts in across the open land he's closing in and fast. i've now got the range finder out and i'm trying to range him i know i want to stop him at about 200yds or less. i get a lock on him, 400yds... that's one hell of a shot to make. then he stops... 400yds out trying to get a scent now that he's closer in. since he's closer now i want to be able to call hands free so i can shoot and call in quick succession if i need to so i throw the diaphragm coyote call in my mouth and give it a howl.... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOGGGGGGBBBBBBBDDDDDDDDD DDOOOOOOOO the call comes out like a mutated goose. F***! it's ok i've got the gun on him i'm going to try the shot as he runs away. bang a big puff of snow right in front of him damn just too low... he's now 500+yds out and in full sprint, he's gone...

sure was fun though..