Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2016, 12:41 PM
Banned

Default Wood pellet grills, which one? Good/bad experiences?

I think I have decided to go with a wood pellet grill/smoker to replace my gas bbq. Just want to know who prefers what models and why, and if anything bad to say. Traegar, Louisiana Grill or Yoder. Thanks for any input, and if you know who usually has good pricing that is great too. Cheers
Old 04-26-2016, 01:18 PM

I went with the Louisiana Grill and I'm happy with my choice. Two things won me over, it has the ability to sear meat which most of the other models can't do and it's made in Canada by an Edmonton company. Now to be fair, LG is having some grills made in China and maybe all their models are now for all I know but mine was definitely made right here.
If you want to replace your BBQ with one then the sear feature is mandatory if you like your steaks to have grill marks. I have both BBQ and pellet grill and I'm not sure I'd be happy with only having the pellet grill, the gas BBQ is a lot handier in the winter to use for doing up a couple of quick steaks.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:30 PM
Banned

Default Whatever works

I have Traeger, a Vision ceramic, and a propane Broil King BBQ. I still need or want more kinds. LOL They each have their place, and use. There has been quite a few threads on here lately. Search them out, Good luck with whatever you buy, knowing you will never be happy with one kind.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:28 PM

Friend has a Green Mountain Grill Davy Crockett pellet grill. It sure seems to work good, tempted to buy myself one.

http://greenmountaingrills.com/produ...et-grill-wifi/
Old 04-26-2016, 02:53 PM

Bought a Traeger at Costco last winter, fought with it three or four times packed it up and took it back. Would only get to 300 degrees, wasn't going to spend another $175 to buy a blanket to try and warm it up. Was only -5 when I tried using it. That being said my neighbor bought one around the same time and he loves his.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:03 PM

I have a Traeger and love it. I cook steaks in winter no problem. I haven't used my gas grill in 3 years. If I was in the market again, knowing what I know now, I think I would opt for the Yoder though. That thing is a tank!
Old 04-26-2016, 04:11 PM
Banned

Default reasons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
I have a Traeger and love it. I cook steaks in winter no problem. I haven't used my gas grill in 3 years. If I was in the market again, knowing what I know now, I think I would opt for the Yoder though. That thing is a tank!
What do you know now that would make you go Yoder? Interested, as my buddy has both, and said the Yoder is close to 375lbs, wow. Not sure if anybody retails them here in Alberta? Would not want to pay for that shipping up from the US. Any info is appreciated, thanks.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
You used a Yoder and it worked well for you?
Old 04-26-2016, 05:04 PM

Default Pellet Grill

I have a dual compartment Louisiana Grill. I don't have the baffles that allow you to sear but I find that I don't miss it. Mine is 6 or 7 years old now and my only issue to date is a burnt up glow plug on the side I use the most.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:11 PM

I love my traeger, if I was to upgrade it would be to a yoder. I have had my traeger for over three years and just replaced the fire pot ($40) and induction fan ($35) After cooking for friends on my traeger many have purchased one. I don't think you can go wrong whatever choice you make honestly.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:21 PM

I would hold off the 3 you mentioned and go with an American Standard. Can't beat a cooler and grill in one unit with a self cleaning function.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I would hold off the 3 you mentioned and go with an American Standard. Can't beat a cooler and grill in one unit with a self cleaning function.

Lmao i bet it was a ton cheaper also
Old 04-26-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBE2 View Post
What do you know now that would make you go Yoder? Interested, as my buddy has both, and said the Yoder is close to 375lbs, wow. Not sure if anybody retails them here in Alberta? Would not want to pay for that shipping up from the US. Any info is appreciated, thanks.
Darcy's Meats in St Albert is now a Yoder dealer, but I ended up getting a used (demo model) Yoder 1500 from the Smoker broker in Saskatoon.

Last edited by Northwinds; 04-26-2016 at 06:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-26-2016, 06:58 PM

I have the Camp Chef DLX, bought from BP, Cabelas has the same model with their name on it. I got mine from BP last year for $600 on sale. Love it
Old 04-26-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post

Nah, I heard anything you cook on em tastes like crap
Old 04-26-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBE2 View Post
Heater Sales at 801 - 25 Ave Nisku is a dealer 780-979-0220
The Traeger is awesome but the capabilities of the Yoder just surpasses the Traeger. If I knew how much I would've used this Traeger when I bought it, I would've splurged for the Yoder. When I bought the Traeger I was replacing an electric smoker. It wasn't purchased to replace my bbq. After using it, I will never use a gas grill again. Now I wish I had a Yoder that can hit 600+F. If you are leary of the pellet grill world it would be tough to fork over that kind of cash though. The Traeger isn't cheap, but may be a more economical beginning into the world of pellet smokers. I really love my Traeger, I just can't sear a steak on it. The Yoder I would be able to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I seen them in real life and it is apparent instantly the quality built into it. I haven't cooked with one but spoke with a few individuals that have and they love them. As stated above, if I knew I would've replaced my smoker and bbq with a pellet grill I would've put the big cash up for a Yoder. Had never really heard of them before my Traeger turned me onto pellet grills.

Last edited by HyperMOA; 04-26-2016 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I don't have a yoder but am well aware they are the about the best out there. About three times the price of a green mountain grill. Crazy Davies, yoder then there's about three of them close, a gmg next then a Louisiana if you can still find one from North America, next, I can't remember the name but there is a few on this site, traeger is dead last, they are the cheapest and have the lowest temp but are the most common because of the price. Yoder and crazy Davies,, 650- 700 degrees and built heavy,,,, the next three all 550-600,,,, traeger 450 if you like a well smoked, baked steak then there you go, all the rest will sear without grillgrates. Stay away from traeger pellets, they are all hardwood but flavoured with oil and coat yourmachine with black crap. Gmg pellets are the actual wood so are bbq delight from bbq galore, delight being a bit better quality than gmg both way better than Traeger. I have three different sizes of gmg and wish I had bought a yoder
Old 04-27-2016, 08:25 AM
Banned

Default Whatever works.

They all have their place, depending on application and budget.
A good question to ask yourself might be, when was the last time you cooked over an open fire? Some might say a steak cooked that way is the best.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:33 AM
Banned

Default Who knows

I have not used a Yoder either. So I can't really say one way or the other. I have read the reviews, some good some bad. Some guys that write reviews are veterans, some are beginners. Personal experience usually trumps.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:20 AM
Banned

Had some of the best chicken in my entire life on a Louisiana grill the other day. They are hand crafted in Canada and require next to no assembly.. Louisiana does have 2 series where some are made in China. The cs series are made in Canada.

Beachcomber in Edmonton has the cs series with a front facing tray added in for free in case your around there. It's a $90 upgrade when compared vs cabela's. They also have the 40lb bags of pellets
Old 04-27-2016, 06:12 PM

I've had great happiness with my traeger. Bought it at costco a couple years back.

Flanny
Old 04-27-2016, 09:34 PM

I looked really hard at one a few years ago and read reviews for days,but one really stood out to me good at all, master of none .I went with a weber grill and kept the old off set for smoking .The not really searing a steak is a deal breaker for me.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:24 PM
Banned

Default wood pellet grills

Gradually narrowing it down, any more info or experiences good/bad are appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-04-2016, 02:47 PM

Does anyone know if the Yoder is sold in Calgary/Brooks?
Old 05-04-2016, 09:19 PM

I saw some Yoders in Home Hardware in Redcliff last time I was where. Heavy duty and expensive.