Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-11-2009, 09:46 PM

Default Searching for walleye around High Level

Is there any good fishing around this area? Looking for walleye and hoping that I don't have to travel to far to find them. thanx for the help.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:59 PM

pick up a copy of Barry Mitchells fishing guide, I keep one in my truck at all times as I'm usually on the road.

Don't leave home without it!
Old 05-17-2009, 10:17 AM

Default High Level walleye

There is not alot close to High Level. Mostly just river fishing. If you want to drive right to a spot, the mouth of the Steen River where it joins the Hay River can be good. When you go north on the highway turn right on the trail just before you cross the Steen. You might have to walk a few hundred yards to the mouth.
The Hay can be good as well, but you usually need a boat to get to the good areas. The mouth of the Chinchaga on the Hay can be really good or really bad but like all the rivers it depends on water clarity. A few shallow spots and a lot of widowmakers on the way though. I've heard you can make it there by quad, but I haven't tried that yet. Other than the Peace the rivers up here are closed until the first of June. The Peace has a few good spots, usually reached from the ferry crossing south of High Level. I've only fished the Peace a couple of times without much luck. The Little Buffalo River in the NWT has a good walleye run that will be soon if you have a few days. Go upstream from the parking area until you hit the rapids. You need a boat to reach the rapids and watch for rocks. The ice bridge approaches on the Mackenzie have big pike and a few walleye but that is a pretty long drive.
Wadlin Lake collapsed several years ago but from what I hear is coming back. Rainbow Lake is really just a widening of the Hay River and can be decent. Its a pretty long drive. Hutch Lake just north of town was stocked years ago, but winter killed. There should be some still in there. I plan to try Hutch as soon as I check the regs and find some time. I've been on a few short fly ins to Bistcho and Thurston Lake and the fishing was pretty good, but pricey.
I live just outside of High Level, drop me a pm if you would like to get together to try some of these spots or just talk fishing.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:28 PM

Default Rainbow Lake fishing

I am camping at Rainbow Lake Oct 1 - 14, 2014 and looking for fishing, waterfowl and upland game hunting locations, suggestions or methods?

Tags
fishing, northern alberta, pickrel, walleye