Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-01-2021, 10:03 PM

Default 527 Antlerless Elk

Hello all
I drew an Antlerless Elk tag in 527. I was planning to use my riverboat but have been hearing issues with the water levels. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise or support on getting on a herd. I'm not asking for anyone's secret spot and am MORE than willing to put in the time. Please don't bash me for asking humbly for some advise. I'm looking to be up there from the 23rd Sept. to the 02nd Oct. If your a farmer or know someone who is that is having an elk problem please don't hesitate to PM me.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 09-02-2021, 07:50 AM
Gone Hunting

First off, the Peace is not like southern rivers, yes it is as low as I have ever seen it, but there is plenty of depth in the main channel if you know how to read the river.
But if your idea of a river boat weighs 2,000 pounds and you don't know this river you can get stranded at any water level.

Second, this may be the most hunted WMU in the province. People come from all over the province to hunt Elk, Moose, Bear, Deer and Geese in this WMU. A few of them bring their big city attitude with them so permission is not easy to get.

I live among farmers and know a good many personally. Four members of my immediate family are farmers in the WMU. I am on the local Ag Society board of directors. I don't know any farmers who don't hunt Elk themselves and I don't know any who welcome hunters they don't know onto their land.

I haven't hunted the river in over thirty years and I have never hunted Elk so that's about all I can tell you.

My advice would be to contact Peace River Cabins and Outdoors, they might be willing and able to help you in some way.

I've known the owners since they were teenagers. Their background is farming but now they run a guest ranch on the banks of the Peace River near Shaftsbury crossing.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-02-2021, 08:51 AM

Does anyone actually think that farmers are going to go online to let someone know they're having problem with elk come on. Pack the truck and go do some scouting get some permission. I'm sure there's lots of Crown Land along the river.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:00 AM

Thanks KegRiver I appreciate your insight!
Old 09-02-2021, 08:13 PM

After a week of rifle season up there I wouldn't plan on seeing much in the open other than a fleeting glance before or after legal light whether hunting up top or from the river. The river is nice for being able to see the valley, and you might even pick up on some of the more established trails but it can get busy with boat traffic especially opening week. Only little bit of advice I could give is be prepared to get in the bush after them.

Last edited by OL_JR; 09-02-2021 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-03-2021, 05:03 AM

Thanks for your advice.