Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-21-2018, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Thank you guys,

Sorry for going off on you.

I am REALLY trying to make a point here, that I have been trying to make for a very long time. Slot sizes CAN work.

At Long Lake, the Walleye took off, SRD as it then was, made it over 50 cm retention, and there were no fish over 50 cm in a few years.

IFFFFF they had a slot size, say 40 - 50, then there would have been smaller breeders and bigger breeders, but that is not what SRD did.

Now we are on the brink of a new Walleye fishery: WABAMUN LAKE.

The Bios finally realized there are TWO types of Walleye. River Spawners and Shoal Spawners. The Bios took Shoal Spawners from St. Anne and Isle, and took a bunch of Adult fish on top of taking just eggs, and the darn things have been multiplying like CRAZY!!!!

WABAMUN is a big lake and can take a lot of pressure. Is there any reason why we should not have a Slot Size on Wabamun? To test this out, they could make it RETENTION for only 1 month, and run a Creel Survey for that month, lets say JUNE 2019.

Then the Creel Surveyors could ask people to keep track of how many LITTLE ONES and how many BIG ONES they threw back, and after the boat returns, determine what the return number are of each class???

I WOULD write to the Minister with this proposal if I thought it would make a difference.

But lets face it, Minister Shannon Phillips is only interested in wind mills, LED Light Bulbs, and getting re elected.

She will not do anything for fishermen.

Drewski
Great post, Drewski!

You must be happy that you have a cabin on the lake you do! Wish my father never sold ours
Old 06-21-2018, 08:00 AM

Default Wabamun

See here for info about the management direction for Wabamun:
http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...e-Mar-2017.pdf

It looks like the intent is to ensure there is a sustainable walleye population before allowing recreational harvest. So, don’t take the principal out of the account before the income stream can support the replacement.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thank you guys,

The Bios finally realized there are TWO types of Walleye. River Spawners and Shoal Spawners.
Drewski
I assume you are joking as they did this in Pigeon probably 20 years ago. No I don't have a link but I am sure you can find one.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:28 AM

Bobalong,

Prime source for the Cold Lake Hatchery was Brett Creek on Primrose Lake. These were river spawn walleye, and failed in a lot of lakes without steady stream flow.

The Pigeon Lake walleye stocking in the early 90's failed for inability to spawn. Idea was Tide Creek would be suitable, but is marginal at best.

Lately shoal spawners have been taken at St. Anne, which has been the source for the Wabamun stocking, and it does work.

More effort and less eggs collected using containment nets on shoal spawners, easier to gather eggs at Brett Creek, which seems to be the logic for the egg source for the hatchery.

My memory may be incorrect, but I recall that adult walleye from South Buck were taken to Pigeon at some point, which were lake spawn fish as well.

But anyway, the point is still the same, Wabmun should be slot size for a limited opening period to test the idea. Some talk of Wabamun going to tags next year. ONCE it is tags, it always will be tags, regardless of compelling reasons to say slot size.

Drewski
Old 06-21-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Bobalong,

Prime source for the Cold Lake Hatchery was Brett Creek on Primrose Lake. These were river spawn walleye, and failed in a lot of lakes without steady stream flow.

The Pigeon Lake walleye stocking in the early 90's failed for inability to spawn. Idea was Tide Creek would be suitable, but is marginal at best.

Lately shoal spawners have been taken at St. Anne, which has been the source for the Wabamun stocking, and it does work.

More effort and less eggs collected using containment nets on shoal spawners, easier to gather eggs at Brett Creek, which seems to be the logic for the egg source for the hatchery.

My memory may be incorrect, but I recall that adult walleye from South Buck were taken to Pigeon at some point, which were lake spawn fish as well.

But anyway, the point is still the same, Wabmun should be slot size for a limited opening period to test the idea. Some talk of Wabamun going to tags next year. ONCE it is tags, it always will be tags, regardless of compelling reasons to say slot size.

Drewski
I would imagine BS= South Buck, PR= Primrose Not sure what DEF= though.

From http://www.assembly.ab.ca/lao/librar...SRD/153129.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pigeon Lake Stocking.JPG (72.4 KB, 17 views)
Old 06-21-2018, 03:46 PM

tags are a slot limit , but also limit the amount harvested in the slot