Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2016, 07:17 PM

Default Great Pyreneese dogs

Which one you think will be better choice to keep at the farm with goats, chicken etc., a male or a female?

Also, if anyone is know some pure pyrenees pups that are for sale then I am very interested in buying one.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2016, 07:18 PM
Banned

I had a male for 8 years gentlest dog ever until coyote or something came into the yard. Very protective. Put him down after someone shot him 5 times in the shoulder
Old 03-31-2016, 07:39 PM

I had a male. Freindly dog. Fearless. Liked to roam. Thinking a female would be easier to keep at home if it matters.( I had no neighbors for a few miles).
Old 03-31-2016, 07:43 PM

I've got a female. Very gentle and well behaved, good with kids etc. We don't have livestock but she still keeps everything out of the yard. There are no birds or coyotes allowed to come near. She can be quite nocturnal if you let her, bark all night sleep all day. It takes a lot of acres to keep a Pyrenees without a fence. She runs a perimeter of about two quarters.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I had a male. Freindly dog. Fearless. Liked to roam. Thinking a female would be easier to keep at home if it matters.( I had no neighbors for a few miles).
Female are definitely easier to keep home, but still, it isn't natural and takes a lot of work before they do.

The male when working hunts all night for predators (roaming instinct), while females will naturally stay and guard the flock.

Female Pyrs make much better pets.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:19 PM

For what it's worth I'd suggest considering a Maremma.
I've had and liked both Pyrenees and Maremmas but the Pyrenees do like to cover large areas ( like over 1000 acres )
The Maremma is very similar but tends to stake out a smaller area and stay home better.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:10 PM
Banned

Hope no one is snaring coyotes anywhere closer than a mile because you will likely incur vet bills Just saying.
Beautiful animals but can you say STRAY!
Old 03-31-2016, 10:23 PM

Based on my experience (4 years so far) our male is an awesome dog.

He gets on the trampoline with the kids and lets them bounce him around.

Contrary to most it seems, he doesn't stray far. He likes to patrol our field/ bush line but doesn't go on or cross the highway (100 yards from the house).

He will bark when the coyotes or other dogs start singing but otherwise is quiet except on bright moonlit nights for some reason.

Deathly afraid of thunder or gun shots.

Our kids and I watched him run down a coyote last week and run right into it and knock it down. Then he let it get up and chased it again like he was playing.

Would love to sit on your lap if he'd fit.

I would absolutely say go for it if you have the time to spend with it to teach it from a young age.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:51 PM

I'm kinda new to the guardian dog game. I have a Akbash/mareema cross, and she still covers about a quarter section. Really good dog though. I call her my big giant mafia puppy, as I haven't shot a coyote within a few miles of the farm that didn't have a broken front leg... That only starter a few months after I got her...

We haven't lost a calf since we got her...
Old 03-31-2016, 11:40 PM

This is funny because the neighbours have these dogs and they never stay home and I have noticed while driving in the country that I run into this breed of dog roaming the back roads.They sure do get around and have a good chance of getting shot if you don't have a very understanding neighbour.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:48 AM

We had goats/sheep quite a few years ago. We had a cougar come through once and kill around 3 dozen goats. Time to get guard animals. Tried a mule but it kicked and killed the goats. Tried an Akbar/maremma cross, but it ate the goats/sheep! Then went to Pyrenees, a brother/sister combo and to say the least, they were quite devastating on anything that wasn't supposed to be there. Poor mulie doe happend to get in the pen one day, well, it wasn't pretty to say the least. Great dogs, the female was an absolute killing machine. The male had a big bark, and that female lurked in the shadows, waiting for her opportunity. Cool to watch. They liked to roam, and would literally put on miles everyday scanning those fence lines. Excellent guard dogs, good with people/things they knew. But, when that big male came out barking, and you couldn't see the female, man, made your hair stand up!
Old 04-01-2016, 06:01 AM

As a working dig I would think they would need rabies shots/vaccinations?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-01-2016, 10:44 AM

When we spayed our female at about 8 months old she quit travelling. She was also well socialized and as much of a pet as a gaurdian dog. We replaced her with a male that roamed lots and eventually disappeared. That was up in the Peace country where dogs had room to travel. Now that we're back in central AB i wouldn't have a guardian dog unless it was in an escape proof fence with livestock. It would likely get shot or hit by a vehicle if not fenced in. If neutered or spayed you might get away with letting them run.

Gerry Burnie
Old 04-01-2016, 02:22 PM

Default Just got one

I just got a 12 week old pup pure breed. He is absolutely a gentle giant so to speak. Love him.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:55 PM

A Pyr I had liked to bark, being in the city that garnered some bylaw complaints from at least one neighbor. I tried a bark collar and some other means to get her to pipe down but nothing bore fruit. With the city breathing down my neck over the potential seizure of the dog it came down to a surgical 'de-barking' procedure, it hushed her up significantly but she was still certainly audible. Afterwards she sounded like a huff huff, like someone with emphysema.

Generally Pyr's will assert dominance when meeting other dogs on their own turf, but our Mia would be more cordial when on neutral turf.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:42 AM

I've got one, great dog, very protective over the kids,but, needs room as was mentioned (which I have)and bark bark bark when I get visitors, and likes running after vehicles, those 2 things will be the deciding factor not to get another one.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:41 AM
Banned

Don't let them in the house. They shed like a machine when indoors. Took me a week to clean the house and ductwork after a tenant brought home an adult male for two months then had to go after the young man locked it in the new back-porch during a severe thunderstorm and it tried to chew its way out. Serious damage and a no-pet-clause.

Beautiful animals, but they deserve a lot of space.

Free
Old 06-20-2018, 12:44 PM

Default Great Pyrenees pups

Hi all I no it’s a old post
I have a litter of Pyrenees pups available please pm me if interested.
Thanks guys and have a good day.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:09 PM

My brother has some Leonberger/King Shepard cross pups born about 2 weeks ago. Take a look for info on the breeds and pm me if you are interested. 6 females and 3 males. Huge gentle dogs with family and protective of his family. A bear might think twice looking at the size of these things when they are grown.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Hope no one is snaring coyotes anywhere closer than a mile because you will likely incur vet bills Just saying.
Beautiful animals but can you say STRAY!
Question I understand a pyrenease is about triple the size of a coyote would they not walk right over a snare ?
Old 06-20-2018, 07:22 PM

Had a Great Pyrenees pup walk in my yard about a year ago. Miserable rainy windy day. Started crying. Wife cleaned out the fridge feeding it. Oops. Long story short found out he belonged to a neighbor about 2 miles away. Took him home and everybody happy. Then he went walk about again and was never seen again. Was about 5 months old when he came here and was up all night and so was I. Beautiful dog. Very good with kids and other pets but wasn't the dog for me. Was happy I found his owner. Another long story.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2018, 08:41 PM
Banned

never saw one that would stay home/
Old 06-20-2018, 08:50 PM
Banned

All those guard dogs are great looking and likely very affectionate to their owners BUT when they roam it is hard on anything else that runs in the woods , Deer , moose , etc I have a couple waging war for three years now where I snare and I did catch one by a foot after warning the owner , who does not give a darn and states I should be trapping in the territories not down here ! At first i though I had wolves on my area but then I saw them and that was the reason all my sets were being knocked down , because of their size! My caught coyotes beaten black and blue
So i moved one mile further , They were ready a mile and a half away from their yard , So they moved with me , I moved again a mile further south , they moved again ! Owner does no care , he has six of them ! Now I have a long distance rifle with a night force scope , And an attitude to go with it ! This season will tell the tale! I have already dyed my hair blonde and combing it like Trump!
Old 06-20-2018, 09:01 PM

As stated, wandering dogs.

Bark at every bloody thing in the night.

I'd rather listen to the coyotes....

Our neighbors have like 4 of them.

Fine if they're yours, neighbors might not be so appreciative. Especially once they start running the local livestock.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:33 PM

I have Great Pyrenees / st.benard cross it is best dog a person could own. It stays at home and great with people and my two cats sleep on top of her in the winter. Any thing out of ordinary in the area you will hear about it. I have female dog maybe their better to stay at home never had a problem.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:53 AM

Default Mixes

I have 2 Mareema / Lab mixes and they are home bodies. I ask neighbors and they never show up at their places. Furthest they go 99% of the time is a 1/4 mile to the slough to kill muskrats or dig mole in the pasture. Very good at deterring predators of the 2 legged variety also.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:44 AM

I had a female for 10 yrs. Was great with my 3 little girls. Did bark alot at night and if it got out of fenced yard would wander. June in my yard looked like January with the shedding. When we had her up in Lynn Lake every house for hundreds of yards had numerous breakins of sheds and garages except one...MINE!!
Old 06-21-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post
As stated, wandering dogs.

Bark at every bloody thing in the night.

I'd rather listen to the coyotes....

Our neighbors have like 4 of them.

Fine if they're yours, neighbors might not be so appreciative. Especially once they start running the local livestock.
X10000 couldn't have said it better myself. Worse then the wandering dog is the owners that think it's ok for their dog to roam.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:05 PM

We have a Great Pyrenees male , he and my lab German Shepard cross female, we're starting to travel to far so we got a dog fence system with collars , works great they stay in the yard now and protect the place.
He does bark at night lots though.
When they were traveling one night he never came home , took me a day to find him,
He was caught in a coyote snare but standing still not pulling on the snare ,
The wire was very tight around his neck , he had a collar on maybe that helped.
I had to get unhook the snare from the fence and slowly walk him home, to cut the snare off.
I never complained to the neighbour because the dog should not have been there any way.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt45 View Post
We have a Great Pyrenees male , he and my lab German Shepard cross female, we're starting to travel to far so we got a dog fence system with collars , works great they stay in the yard now and protect the place.
He does bark at night lots though.
When they were traveling one night he never came home , took me a day to find him,
He was caught in a coyote snare but standing still not pulling on the snare ,
The wire was very tight around his neck , he had a collar on maybe that helped.
I had to get unhook the snare from the fence and slowly walk him home, to cut the snare off.
I never complained to the neighbour because the dog should not have been there any way.
I wish more people had common sense like you sir..i applaud you.