Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-21-2018, 07:03 PM

Chevy 6.0 l. 20 l/100km empty. 20l/100 towing.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:42 PM

One thing to consider is the cost of insurance. I don't really know why, but the 1 ton I bought this spring was $250/year cheaper to insure than a 2500
Not a huge pile of money, but still worth considering.

I was in the same dilemma a while ago and ended up with a 6.0L gmc 3500.
Couldn't be happier with it
Old 06-21-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham1 View Post
One thing to consider is the cost of insurance. I don't really know why, but the 1 ton I bought this spring was $250/year cheaper to insure than a 2500
Not a huge pile of money, but still worth considering.

I was in the same dilemma a while ago and ended up with a 6.0L gmc 3500.
Couldn't be happier with it
I went through this myself when I bought my current truck. I had an F350 with the V10 gas and a few 1/2 tons, and I always hated this response, but the fact is, they were right - GET THE DIESEL.

if you’re going to run a 1 ton truck, the diesel just makes nothing but sense. I love the 6.7 in my Ford, amazing power, completely “civilized” to the point it’s easy to forget it’s a diesel, and they've proven to be pretty darn bulletproof.

If/when the day comes I’m not towing a 5th wheel or I don’t need the 1 ton, I’d go back to a 1/2 ton with the Ecoboost in a heartbeat. Until then, the diesel gets the job done and puts smile on my face every time.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:54 PM

I would never recommend the 6.2 ford in a 1ton
Had a extended cab dually for work
No power and burnt so much fuel.
I am sure my half ton eccobost pulled the same load better. Best day was when that junker got stollen
I have a 2016 dodge 3500 dually diesel and love it
Few more months and i will pull all the emissions crap off and will like it even more.
If you pull buy the diesel
If you dont then get a half ton
6 liter chev is a very reliable motor but they burn fuel
Not as much as the 6.2 ford though
Old 06-21-2018, 10:18 PM

You are pulling enough that diesel is the way to go. My drive to work is only 13 Km as well and I haven't had any issues with it for the past 11 years and all of those years have been with an 07.5 and a 2014 Ram diesels.
Two things I did on both trucks though is I put adhesive pan heaters on the oil pan (4"x6")and the tranny pan (2"x4")that I plugged in along with the block heater when it was below -10. The tranny on the 2014 is at operating temp after a 10 minute warm up before I drive off and the engine is half way up.
Mine are also plugged in all night, that way they don't ever get totally cold as it's harder to get it heat soaked up again after its all cooled down to minus 30 or whatever.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugEye View Post
I took a new 6.2 L f-350 ford for a test ride yesterday. I really like the truck, But I’m disappointed with the engine seems like the truck won’t pick up and go under 4000 RPM maybe it’s just me I’m just used to driving eco-boost where you get that push of torque at 1800 RPM.Call Dodge today and they’re going to set up a test ride with a 6.4 L hemi and the diesel curious on how that’s going to go.
Gear ratio can really affect that sluggish feeling. I have friends with the 6.2L, on has highway gears(most trucks) one factory ordered higher gears. Two totally different trucks, same engine. F250, Crew cab, short box, 3.73 and he pulls a big fifth wheel with no issue.

I did an ins claim with a big horse outfit. Always pulling horse trailers etc for the farm. He changed all his diesels to the new dodge 6.4L, he says he loves the truck and engine.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:30 PM

We have a 2014 2wd long box f250 XL gas with the 3.73 gears and it’s great. Got it used with cruise and a rear locking diff for 30k with 14000 km. It has upgraded cloth seats as well. For the price and def stuff and Diesel engine maintenance costs I think you should be towing everyday and heavy loads at that.

Yea the gasser burn more in fuel but you save a lot upfront and they are proven reliable. There is nothing wrong with 3/4 tons either. The only difference in the f350 is a 2” rear lift and an overload spring. If you don’t max the sticker specs I say buy whatever is a good deal.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:29 PM

If I’m going to upgrade from a half-ton I’m going to get something that I can put my 425gal water tank in the box .