Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-18-2018, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pare View Post
You won't call that dishonest. I totally disagree with you on that. Those tricks and dives are the little details you need to win a match sometime. Apparently all soccer player cheats.
I disagree. It is an offense by the book :"attempts to deceive the referee by feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled (simulation)". Just has to be enforced without hesitation, and there are means now to do it. Game will be better without these clowns.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
You won't call that dishonest. I totally disagree with you on that. Those tricks and dives are the little details you need to win a match sometime. Apparently all soccer player cheats.
What is not dishonest about responding/reacting to an action that did not occur?

It's frustrating when a player has game changing skill and they resort to the "tricks and dives... the little details you need to win a match sometime..." And don't think I'm singling Ronaldo out specifically anymore, his diving antics are just the same as any run of the mill plug.

I really like those cases where a player initiates their dive PRIOR to the defenders challenge!

Enjoy the tournament pare
Old 06-18-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Diving is part of the game.
I think you may be alone here Pare.

Diving is cheating.

I wouldn't hesitate to red card Ronaldo for his fraudulent dive robbing Spain of it's well deserved 3 points.

This is world class cheating as perfected and practiced on a regular basis by Portugal and other some other countries, who have, in fact, cheated their way as the advanced in a tournament after tournament they should have been knocked out in. Brazil cheated as host of their games.

Perhaps they should suspend countries for this cheating like they do when steroid use enhances the performance of their athletes? Isn't it the same thing really?

Your Portugal Team does not need to dive, they are a world class team.

Ronaldo doesn't need to dive, he is one of the best players who has ever played the game.

The world, who knows nothing about your home country, is watching football, and they see people, who represent their countries act like this. What do they think about the honesty, honor and integrity of the people who live there?

That is why 95% of the football federations go out of their way to ensure their players understand that in an international tournament they need to act respectfully as representatives of their country.

The diving cheapens the game and make all of us, as fans, look like fools who continue to tolerate the cheating.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Soccer players, the baby cats of the sporting world.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-18-2018, 10:56 AM
Banned

Default England vs tunisia

I am looking forward to seeing what the OVERHYPED England team have to offer today.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:57 PM

Default Too soon?

Better weather this time of the year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Germany sets new record.jpg (46.0 KB, 29 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 06-18-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
Better weather this time of the year.
At least they are not playing in Volgograd. Germans don't fare well there in any season
Old 06-18-2018, 03:13 PM
Banned

Default The English are Dreaming.

BBC optimistic video showing what would happen if England wins the World Cup. Lol in their dream for real

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...World-Cup.html
Old 06-18-2018, 07:27 PM

Hockey has a few dives. Soccer is a great game but the dives are laughable. You've probably seen a girl compared to Ronaldo video. https://youtu.be/5OxUtJ8C57w
Old 06-18-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Really ??! What a farce if that is what soccer has become .
No wonder I can't stomach that crap.
Dives and theatrics in any sport shows immaturity in my opinion .
Cat
Old 06-19-2018, 11:04 PM

Looks like damn Russians hacked the group stage!
Old 06-19-2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
I am looking forward to seeing what the OVERHYPED England team have to offer today.
I understood their expectations where quite subdued?
Old 06-20-2018, 01:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-71 View Post
Looks like damn Russians hacked the group stage!
Yes!! and that is so good for them and the tournament.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:37 AM

Old 06-20-2018, 10:09 AM

Portugal were lucky to get the win over Morocco. They will have to control the ball much better if they expect to survive the first knockout game!
Old 06-20-2018, 10:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Portugal were lucky to get the win over Morocco. They will have to control the ball much better if they expect to survive the first knockout game!
Absolute truth, Just the way Uruguay were lucky to steal a win over Saudi Arabia.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:42 PM

It's amazing how football often gets reduced to diving, that's like saying baseball is just some guys standing around and spitting or hockey is just some guys looking for an opportunity to beat the crap out of each other even though it adds nothing to the game and doesn't score points.

Yes, diving was, is and always will be part of the game and depending on the degree, intention of both players involved, player's history and game history they get cards for it. Depending on a split second decision a referee has to make depending on how far he and his assistants are from where it's happening, which stands and won't/can't be changed on a table afterwards.

Because not every dive is for the sake of cheating but also serves to protect your health in certain situations. You have no protection except the shin guard and when your foot is on the ground and anchored anyone sliding, kicking or flying into you foot or feet first can injure you to the point of ending your career. This often happening while involved players are at top speed.
If you actively play football you know that because you face players that are simply not athletic and lack some control over their body when tackling you and don't mean harm, those who make bad decisions they regret afterwards and those who are actively out to injure you to get you out the game. In some cases for good.
No matter if you play as a kid on the street or later in a football club on MD level, national or international. It happens to Joe Average as it happens to Messi or Ronaldo, with the difference that the consequences for Joe Average are much harsher than paid players, so there will always be players diving, not just to cheat.

It's not like football supporters celebrate over the top/constant divers, on club level they get to feel the hate of their own team supporters.
Hate the players that do it too much, not the game.
Otherwise you miss out some amazing plays and memories like every sport has

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKOTKHtbM54
Old 06-20-2018, 12:59 PM

The reality is, it's only a few countries that allow their players to excessively exhibit these shameful antics while allowing them to wear their nationalities jerseys. Brazil, Portugal and a few others that have a history of fraudulently advancing in tournaments through excessive diving.

And, to be clear, simulation (diving) is against the rules. It is cheating.

With video replay now being used - I hope they card those who simulate and reduce their team through their own actions as a result. This would serve to progress the game and show who really is the better football team, not the better set of actors.

I just don't understand how one would humiliate himself and his homeland with such behavior.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
And has been for decades, it is the worst part of the game but a part none the less. Can't believe that if you actually watch soccer you would be surprised to see "diving". Until the refs start penalizing this severely, you can whine all you like but it is not going to go away.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:37 PM

If they don't make it out of the group stage the Argentinians should hide out in Siberia for a while before going home.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
If they don't make it out of the group stage the Argentinians should hide out in Siberia for a while before going home.
After the 3-0 Loss to Croatia, the Argentinian fans are sure to be fired up. I was reading about all the "negative press" this team is getting at home and with such high expectations .... and a 5th place world ranking to boot.

The bottom line is, like I said earlier, the top 20 teams are not as "wide of a gap" as they may have been in years past. Croatia is ranked 20 maybe?

Realistically is you take Messi out of Argentina starting 11 and you are left with 10 of Argentina's best and 10 of Croatia's best and had to choose the 10 best players left on the field you would probably have to pick 7 or even 8 Croats. Anyone who follows football will know they are, one v one, far more recognized players, playing on far stronger clubs in Europe and at the end of the day - probably better overall when looking at it that way. Messi is, unfortunately, the wild card for them. He didn't perform. It's hard to me to admit that, as he's my favorite player, but I have to call it what it was.

Nevertheless - If Messi was on fire - This game could have went the other way - the first team to make a mistake was going to have a tough day - and Argentina, being forced to press late in the game, could have been victim of a few more goals quite easily. Could of been worse.

Argentina will be watching Iceland's game with Nigeria tomorrow and keeping their fingers crossed for a miracle. They need a miracle at this point I think. even if Nigeria "wins" there is one final factor here ...........

Because Croatia has secured a spot, I'd fully expect them to rest their higher valued, or yellow carded players, and play some younger, less skilled and less experienced players, maybe even a backup keeper, and maybe even the coaches second cousin who wants to play. lol.

That makes Croatia an easier target for Iceland in the last game of the group round. That, too, could spell disaster for Argentina and could be the nail in the coffin.

I feel for Argentina. Happy for Croatia.

Last edited by EZM; 06-21-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
After the 3-0 Loss to Croatia, the Argentinian fans are sure to be fired up. I was reading about all the "negative press" this team is getting at home and with such high expectations .... and a 5th place world ranking to boot.

The bottom line is, like I said earlier, the top 20 teams are not as "wide of a gap" as they may have been in years past. Croatia is ranked 20 maybe?

Realistically is you take Messi out of Argentina starting 11 and you are left with 10 of Argentina's best and 10 of Croatia's best and had to choose the 10 best players left on the field you would probably have to pick 7 or even 8 Croats. Anyone who follows football will know they are, one v one, far more recognized players, playing on far stronger clubs in Europe and at the end of the day - probably better overall when looking at it that way. Messi is, unfortunately, the wild card for them. He didn't perform. It's hard to me to admit that, as he's my favorite player, but I have to call it what it was.

Nevertheless - If Messi was on fire - This game could have went the other way - the first team to make a mistake was going to have a tough day - and Argentina, being forced to press late in the game, could have been victim of a few more goals quite easily. Could of been worse.

Argentina will be watching Iceland's game with Nigeria tomorrow and keeping their fingers crossed for a miracle. They need a miracle at this point I think. even if Nigeria "wins" there is one final factor here ...........

Because Croatia has secured a spot, I'd fully expect them to rest their higher valued, or yellow carded players, and play some younger, less skilled and less experienced players, maybe even a backup keeper, and maybe even the coaches second cousin who wants to play. lol.

That makes Croatia an easier target for Iceland in the last game of the group round. That, too, could spell disaster for Argentina and could be the nail in the coffin.

I feel for Argentina. Happy for Croatia.
I totally agreed with you. I think the Argentina coach needs to be fired. He made some silly mistakes that are not expected on a crucial day like this.

Firstly, Argentina was trailing and needed to score goals, yet the coach removed Kun Aguero and replaced him with Higuain. Fine Higuain is also a good guy, but if I were the coach, I will keep both of them on the pitch.

Secondly and ultimately, Argentina lacks what is called a Plan B. Their Plan A was Messi, Plan B Messi, up to plan Z. Too bad for the team, Messi is not playing as expected.

Well, Congrats to Croatia. I hope to see Nigeria wins against Iceland tomorrow. Can they?
Old 06-21-2018, 09:38 PM
Banned

I've been fortunate enough to attend a few Barclay's Premier League match's. When 2 players actually collide and it's their legs being HIT..the sound is SICKENING..it's a serious WHACK...I'm not sure how the REF's cannot discern the difference from a dive or actual body part on body part, cuz it's mind blowing
Old 06-22-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
I totally agreed with you. I think the Argentina coach needs to be fired. He made some silly mistakes that are not expected on a crucial day like this.

Firstly, Argentina was trailing and needed to score goals, yet the coach removed Kun Aguero and replaced him with Higuain. Fine Higuain is also a good guy, but if I were the coach, I will keep both of them on the pitch.

Secondly and ultimately, Argentina lacks what is called a Plan B. Their Plan A was Messi, Plan B Messi, up to plan Z. Too bad for the team, Messi is not playing as expected.

Well, Congrats to Croatia. I hope to see Nigeria wins against Iceland tomorrow. Can they?
Lightning stuck today and Nigeria beat Iceland 2-0 - have not seen the highlights yet - so don't know what happened other than the result.

Argentina has some new found hope I'm certain.

I watched the Argentina - Croatia game again last night, just looking more or less from a technical perspective - and It was obvious what one of the major tactical errors was .... Argentina used a back 3 to defend against Croatia.

Croatia is understood to be, and statistically, one of the worlds most offensively dangerous opponents (I think 4th or 5th).

They are also a very fast team with pace and a strong transition through the midfield and into the counter attacks.

The amount of open balls to the overlapping winger opposite side of the field was ridiculous - like 6-7 that I saw that could have been converted to an opportunity. Luckily Croatia missed the receipt of, or conversion of these balls and failed to hit targets a bunch of times.

Either way - Nigeria breathes hope into Argentina's lives ....

A real interesting group to watch.

Last edited by EZM; 06-22-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:49 PM

video replay of neymar dive could have add to the ozzymans collection of b$%%$ dives... should get a yellow card
serbia had their chances today but just cant finish..
Old 06-22-2018, 03:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Lightning stuck today and Nigeria beat Iceland 2-0 - have not seen the highlights yet - so don't know what happened other than the result.

Argentina has some new found hope I'm certain.

I watched the Argentina - Croatia game again last night, just looking more or less from a technical perspective - and It was obvious what one of the major tactical errors was .... Argentina used a back 3 to defend against Croatia.

Croatia is understood to be, and statistically, one of the worlds most offensively dangerous opponents (I think 4th or 5th).

They are also a very fast team with pace and a strong transition through the midfield and into the counter attacks.

The amount of open balls to the overlapping winger opposite side of the field was ridiculous - like 6-7 that I saw that could have been converted to an opportunity. Luckily Croatia missed the receipt of, or conversion of these balls and failed to hit targets a bunch of times.

Either way - Nigeria breathes hope into Argentina's lives ....

A real interesting group to watch.

It is going to be a do or die between Nigeria and Argentina in their last match
Old 06-23-2018, 03:51 PM
Banned

Germany snatched a late win over Sweden. What a game.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:05 PM

Germany match was a classic!!!!!!!!

Great match to watch!

Victory goal from a set piece last 15 sec of stoppage time.!!!!!!!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 06-23-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bani View Post
Germany snatched a late win over Sweden. What a game.
Horrible refereeing . It is sad to see a really good game decided by incompetent officiating. Wouldn't surprise me at all to here more about this in the weeks to come.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter64 View Post
Horrible refereeing . It is sad to see a really good game decided by incompetent officiating. Wouldn't surprise me at all to here more about this in the weeks to come.
Not really. The Germans owned that game so if they won off a set piece from a foul it shouldn’t be a big deal. I felt it was a pretty clean game and fairly called. Recall that he did give that red which was warranted