Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-29-2018, 05:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
I'm buying in.

Nothing like hunting fast Grizzly Bears in BC at 752 yards.

It's all about shot placement.
Please do, because clearly that's the intention for the Grendel.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:52 PM

If I was 30 younger, I would definitely give this a go, the Grendal,,, not the Grizzly Bears. Ha.

My plan was 1 rifle, until I ran into a good friend that has helped me push the limits of distance like never before,,, so a second unit showed up in the mix.

Both are known as boring old time cartrages that get the job done.

My job is fight gravity and play the winds.

If I master this, then it's self gratification to my self.

That's what really counts. Self gratification makes a person feel good inside.

We share this with the friends that have this like minded interests.

We reap the rewards of challanges, it pushes us forward, kin ship in a way.

Funny thing is that most of the shooters show up with rifles and calibers that each of us choose to push limits on. But we have one goal in common,,, the challange pushing these limits to the next level.

The shooter, reload cartrages, rifle, terrain, and elements.

Half the battle is taken care of so long as we stick to the routine, the other half is adapting for the changes when they come up.

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 06-29-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:59 PM
Banned

Totally get that Don.

If you’re comfortable with classing a grizz at same as deer size game in terms of minimum impact velocity and s.d. Same as a little antelope then that’s your choice.

Personally I’d want a sub 300 yrd shot on a grizz hunt regardless what I was carrying.

I know I’d rather carry a Grendel than a .243 into grizz country though. I’d rather face one with .252 bc with 123 gr and 6.5 mm hole vs 20-25 gr less weight with less s.d. going faster but only 6mm hole so to speak.

I’d take a Swede with 160’s if I wanted to make sure I could end to end a 3rd class critter inside a few hundred yards though.

Not saying the Grendel is a first choice for anyone here. Just educating it. It punches above its proverbial weight class because of some important things. Just as the Swede has been doing forever, and the creedmoor is doing now too.

Versatility king for sure the creedmoor to swede range. But as I started this, I said for anyone choosing a ‘lighter hitting’ cartridge as we often do for various, albeit supplementary, reasons...the .243 seems our most common go to.

I am simply pointing out that there is a new-ish (14 yrs old) choice that has done nothing but gain ground and impress the whole way along...and I pointed out the reasons why. It’s not marketing and hype....it’s math. Show me anything else that burns that much powder and can do more? I’m all ears and believe me I’d be on your side in the education process. It’s not my pet. Just appreciating it at a deeper level than the hype. Just like I do a great many other cartridges like the Swede or cm etc.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:09 AM

When the little dragon case is fitted into a bolt action or Ruger block action rifle, it performs pretty good.

It even hit the CPX CLASS II category.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5mm_Grendel

Pretty impressive for a small case.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
When the little dragon case is fitted into a bolt action or Ruger block action rifle, it performs pretty good.

It even hit the CPX CLASS II category.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5mm_Grendel

Pretty impressive for a small case.
Good link, I never did read it all till now. I had only read the cm one. I had an interest in comparing it to .243 as that's what I had experience with as a lighter hitter, Kurt compared it to a 30-30 and made perfect sense to do so. Class II game recommendation is appropriate, and mentioned it was comparable to other class II considered cartridges like 30-30, .257 roberts, and the .243 win. Fine company indeed.