Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Yup but folks like to fill life’s voids with constantly tinkering every year with a new cartridge or rifle. I was in that trap when I lived 10 min from a rifle range in Edson in a past life. Constantly chasing the perfect load and for a different rifle and cartridge every year. When the tried and true .30-06 was all I ever needed in the first place. Ex father in law was never happy unless he was buying 3 or 4 guns a year but for what? You can only shoot one on a hunt. I think a lot of people are shopaholics and need that new purchase rush because they are missing something in life.
I agree. Redundancy would have far greater utility. If you want two rifles then have two that are exactly the same, chambered for the same cartridge. I know a couple of international hunters who do this. One gets hunted and the other wears out barrels in practice. And if something acts up there is one to step in.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-07-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Let’s quit comparing carpentry and engine repair with hunting and killing. They are not the same. I’ve shot enough game with a wide variety of cartridges over the years to know that there isn’t a single instance where another cartridge could not have been substituted with any different result.
Exactly. Gee I should have brought the pitching wedge instead of the driver. Lol. I don’t golf ( a golf course is waste of good land for a rifle range) but you know what I am getting at here. People are trying to create an issue so that it can be justified by needing a different tool (rifle) for varying conditions. #shopaholic

Last edited by 1899b; 07-07-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
I'll be having my do it all rifle built soon.

300wsm
Trued rem700 long action with M16 extractor milled in.
Wildcat ultralight KS hunter stock
Krieger sendero profile barrel 26" long
Trigger tech primary trigger I believe
Kwik clip bottom metal
Probably gonna top it with a NF NXS
What do you think it will weigh? Never heard of a kwik clip fitting the wsm. If it does that is awesome!!!!
Old 07-07-2019, 06:32 PM

Default Just cant

I just can't get to the one gun. Minimum would be 3. A 22 c.f. For coyote hunting ( pelt saver) a lever action 45-70 for stand hunting,still hunting,and big bear gun. Finally a long barrel fast magnum in either 7mm or 300. Only reason I choose a magnum over a std cartridge is the capability at longer range. The short handy gun would handle thick bush hunting and sitting in a tree situation. The long rifle would handle everything from bean fields to mountain tops. For all the different hunting styles I do one rifle just can't be perfect for all situations. Could they be made to work? yup. Is there a better tool for the job? Yup. Would I want to go into the thick stuff for a wounded bear with a 7-08....Not my first choice. Would I hunt bear with a 7-08? You bet. For me there's necessity for a few different calibers but more importantly a few different platforms to cover my hunting styles.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest206 View Post
I can't imagine one do it all rifle. Rifles are tools and I have different tools for different jobs. I wouldn't use a single 12" crescent wrench to overhaul a motor just as I wouldn't choose one single caliber to do all my hunting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Pretending your an expert because you only have one gun is likley missing out on the benefits of purpose built guns.
Boys, I've been hunting in Alberta for 40 years. I've owned hundreds of rifles and I'm not bragging when I say I've likely shot a hell of a lot more game than most. I know what works for big game hunting and I'm not afraid to say so. Most of the game I've shot was with a 300 Weatherby of one manufacturer or another (none were Weatherby). I don't consider myself an expert, but then again I also know when someone's full of horse feathers. 1 gun can and will work on any big game animal for 95% of the hunting on the globe. It's a choice, simple as that. If you want a gun for every week of the year, go for it. If you want to hunt in a specific manner, ( long range, mountain, stand hunt) it may require a specialty rifle. But be honest. For 95% of hunting, it can be done with 1 accurate well balanced rifle.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
I agree. Redundancy would have far greater utility. If you want two rifles then have two that are exactly the same, chambered for the same cartridge. I know a couple of international hunters who do this. One gets hunted and the other wears out barrels in practice. And if something acts up there is one to step in.
This makes no sense
Old 07-07-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
This makes no sense
It makes sense to a few Weatherby Award winners.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-07-2019, 07:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
It makes sense to a few Weatherby Award winners.
Which ones?
Old 07-07-2019, 07:50 PM

To add to that I would hazard a guess that a large percentage of serious global hunters, that aren’t being paid to do otherwise, do so primarily with one rifle.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-07-2019, 07:50 PM
Banned

better start googling names to back up your story
Old 07-07-2019, 07:53 PM
Banned

Some do
Some dont

There isnt a weatherby award winner that will say you should take your 7mm for elephant or hippo

And I have never heard of someone bringing two 7mm on a trip rather that a 7mm and say a 375
Old 07-07-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Which ones?
Herb Klein, Jack O’Connor, Gates, McElroy, Page hunted with primarily one, James Mellon.........

-Billy Molls
Old 07-07-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
better start googling names to back up your story
How about you start naming me serious globetrotting hunters that use more than a primary small core of hunting rifles? Boddington would be one to help you get started.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-07-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Boys, I've been hunting in Alberta for 40 years. I've owned hundreds of rifles and I'm not bragging when I say I've likely shot a hell of a lot more game than most. I know what works for big game hunting and I'm not afraid to say so. Most of the game I've shot was with a 300 Weatherby of one manufacturer or another (none were Weatherby). I don't consider myself an expert, but then again I also know when someone's full of horse feathers. 1 gun can and will work on any big game animal for 95% of the hunting on the globe. It's a choice, simple as that. If you want a gun for every week of the year, go for it. If you want to hunt in a specific manner, ( long range, mountain, stand hunt) it may require a specialty rifle. But be honest. For 95% of hunting, it can be done with 1 accurate well balanced rifle.
I'm not disputing the fact that one rifle/caliber will do it all but if I intend on making any money from my coyote fur I am not going to use a 300 mag just as I don't want to pack a 10 lb. rifle up and down mountains on a sheep hunt. I have been involved in several cull hunts over the years so have the experience of shooting in excess of 30 animals in several days and I know that almost any caliber will do the job for any big game we have in North America. I like the option to take out an all weather rifle in crappy conditions and the option of a nice little carbine as a scabbard gun while hunting on horseback. A 6 1/2 lb rifle with a 20" barrel is sure a lot nicer to pack when hunting in the mountains than a 10 lb 26" barrel. Am I saying it can't be done ... of course not. I personally like the option of selecting the tool for the job and what ever makes the hunt easier for me usually results in a successful hunt. Some people take their rifle out once a year to hunt and whatever works for them is their personal choice. Kudos to them. I hunt all year in all types of conditions, climate, terrain, and temperature so having the option to choose what fits the situation works best for me. One rifle, one caliber will do it all for those that choose. I prefer having options
Old 07-07-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Some do
Some dont

There isnt a weatherby award winner that will say you should take your 7mm for elephant or hippo

And I have never heard of someone bringing two 7mm on a trip rather that a 7mm and say a 375
You are stretching reality here. Speaking of 7mm magnums, Joe Bishop has an extensive firearms collection. However, he has killed almost everything with two Sako fiberclass rifles chambered for the 7mm Rem Mag and 375 H&H. 95% of it with the 7mm.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-07-2019, 08:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
How about you start naming me serious globetrotting hunters that use more than a primary small core of hunting rifles? Boddington would be one to help you get started.
Who do you think helped me pick out the rifles i did?
And no i didnt search his articles
I called him

Tell me the conversation you had with Jack O'connor?
Oh wait
Old 07-07-2019, 08:03 PM
Banned

You read too many books
From days long ago
Old 07-07-2019, 08:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest206 View Post
I'm not disputing the fact that one rifle/caliber will do it all but if I intend on making any money from my coyote fur I am not going to use a 300 mag just as I don't want to pack a 10 lb. rifle up and down mountains on a sheep hunt. I have been involved in several cull hunts over the years so have the experience of shooting in excess of 30 animals in several days and I know that almost any caliber will do the job for any big game we have in North America. I like the option to take out an all weather rifle in crappy conditions and the option of a nice little carbine as a scabbard gun while hunting on horseback. A 6 1/2 lb rifle with a 20" barrel is sure a lot nicer to pack when hunting in the mountains than a 10 lb 26" barrel. Am I saying it can't be done ... of course not. I personally like the option of selecting the tool for the job and what ever makes the hunt easier for me usually results in a successful hunt. Some people take their rifle out once a year to hunt and whatever works for them is their personal choice. Kudos to them. I hunt all year in all types of conditions, climate, terrain, and temperature so having the option to choose what fits the situation works best for me. One rifle, one caliber will do it all for those that choose. I prefer having options
Exactly
Old 07-07-2019, 08:07 PM

What in the world can’t I hunt in Alberta with one rifle?

-Billy Molls
Old 07-07-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
What in the world can’t I hunt in Alberta with one rifle?
No one is saying you can't. Fill your boots.
It's your choice just as I have my choice.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:13 PM

So let’s not confuse the issue of want vs need.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-07-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
So let’s not confuse the issue of want vs need.
Bingo
Old 07-07-2019, 08:35 PM
Banned

If your ok with " its good enough"
That's your choice
Old 07-07-2019, 08:36 PM

My "does it all rifle is actually 2 rifles".
My .223 varmint rifle is identical to my 30-06 hunting rifle - right down to the scope. And a third in 7mm-08 is identical to the first 2.
At first I thought I was having some sort of OCD attack when I set them up - but now it seems perfectly logical.

I also plan on doing this with my 2 model 70's. One in .270 and one in .338 WM. I am pillar bedding the .338 in a Winchester featherweight stock at the moment so it pairs up with the .270. It sound's odd but a typical featherweight stock is not very "feathery". There's a substantial weight of wood there.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
If your ok with " its good enough"
That's your choice
Again, your confusing things. The OP was ultimately talking quality over quantity. In my opinion scrimping on functional quality is not the same as scrimping on the need for a rifle to take outside when it rains. It’s great that someone wants a rifle to hunt in the sunshine on Friday with and then one for the rain on Monday. But not choosing to do this does not mean you are settling for “good enough”.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-07-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
You read too many books
From days long ago
You mean back when one rifle and cartridge did it all and men weren’t so soft that a 9lb rig fully dressed could still be carried all day? Takes me back to my 75 year old grandfather toting his sporterized 1903 all day. But then he did homestead on land he broke with horses just east of Muriel Lake. That one rifle fed my Moms family for years when it was a need. Not a want...
Old 07-07-2019, 09:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
You mean back when one rifle and cartridge did it all and men weren’t so soft that a 9lb rig fully dressed could still be carried all day? Takes me back to my 75 year old grandfather toting his sporterized 1903 all day. But then he did homestead on land he broke with horses just east of Muriel Lake. That one rifle fed my Moms family for years when it was a need. Not a want...
I mean back when there was only a handful of options. When hunts weren't potentially once in a lifetime. And they didn't cost the price of 25 cattle. Different times
Old 07-07-2019, 09:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Again, your confusing things. The OP was ultimately talking quality over quantity. In my opinion scrimping on functional quality is not the same as scrimping on the need for a rifle to take outside when it rains. It’s great that someone wants a rifle to hunt in the sunshine on Friday with and then one for the rain on Monday. But not choosing to do this does not mean you are settling for “good enough”.
Only hs precision ive seen is the super light weight mountain rifle
They shoot really well but its not the most pleasant rifle in the world to shoot
My sako 75, like the ops, was awesome to shoot partially because of the heavier weight
2 different purpose rifles
Old 07-07-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I mean back when there was only a handful of options. When hunts weren't potentially once in a lifetime. And they didn't cost the price of 25 cattle. Different times
From 1945 to 1970 that one rifle was the reason my Mom’s family had meat back then. Much more important than a hunt for recreation. Lmao
Old 07-07-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Herb Klein, Jack O’Connor, Gates, McElroy, Page hunted with primarily one, James Mellon.........

Jack only used a 270?? I dont think so.

Lots has to do with how many different species you hunt and where you hunt. Love my 270 and 7mm but I prefer a bit more punch for moose or when I'm in grizz country so the 358 comes along. Have a friend that only used a 270 to kill 7 grizz in the Yukon so it'll get the job done but not many up there would recommend or even allow it. Try taking one to Kodiak and its not going to fly.

On the other end of the scale I prefer my 25-06 for antelope.

The best hunter I've ever know, my grandfather, used a 32-40 for everything in northern Sask in his day. I commend him for it but I could run faster than that thing cast lead.

Another friend is an Africa and NZ agent and hunts exotic game exclusively. When he's not shooting lions with bows his single go to is a Blaser 7mm.

Owning one cartridge might be practical but it's also incredibly boring.

Last edited by 270person; 07-07-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Closed Thread