Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-12-2015, 07:44 PM

Default Sheep Hunting 101.

no, sorry. I am not giving the seminar. I was hoping someone else would point me in the right direction to get started. I am getting a bad urge to do a do-it-yourself backpacking sheep hunt. I have never hunted sheep before, though I have done a fair bit of other hunting. I am NOT looking for information on where to go. instead I am looking on facts of how to do it and where to get info.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:27 PM

1. Look at the sheep gear thread
2. Buy that gear
3. Buy license
4. Go to mountains and kill sheep
Old 06-12-2015, 08:37 PM

so its really as easy as just buying the best of all hunting gear and shooting a sheep? no prep work or nothing? that sounds boring!surely not?!
Old 06-12-2015, 08:38 PM

I have seen the gear thread. I know about the gear. but what then? just head out to jasper and shoot one? how do you get started into the world of sheep hunting without hiring an outfitter?
Old 06-12-2015, 08:46 PM

Sounds like you are getting ready to start the same way I did around 8 or 9 years ago. You don't have to start with the best equipment on the market but I would suggest good boots and glass a priority. Search google earth for nice alpine meadows and then start burning boot leather. The learning curve is long but the reward is unbeatable. It is said that your ram is born the year you start hunting them. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flint&Fly Guy View Post
I have seen the gear thread. I know about the gear. but what then? just head out to jasper and shoot one? how do you get started into the world of sheep hunting without hiring an outfitter?
Wear out boot leather.
Scout, scout, scout, scout some more.
Put the stalk on, fail. Scout, scout, scout, scout, get another opportunity, it's too small, scout, scout, scout, stalk one in to 125 yards, gun jams, sheep runs off.
End of the season.

As Tork said, lots of info in the pre-existing thread.
Nothing can be taught over the Internet, scout and that's it.
You will connect, or you won't. Only way to learn, is going out with a buddy, or learning first hand from your own failures.
Good luck.

Ps, I don't have much of the expensive equipment on that thread and I'm still kicking.

Last edited by Hydro1; 06-12-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:56 PM
Banned

I'm not a successful sheep Hunter... But I can say, sheep hunting isn't about going and finding a sheep. Sure that "is" the end goal. But in order for it to work you have to love every aspect. The biggest thing is loving the mountains. It's no walk in the park heading into the alpine with 50lbs+ on your back.

But once you find a thrill in cresting the next ridge and seeing the next basin, you will soon find out where the sheep are. Always bee on your glass. Every new slope. Take a glass, it helps break up the hikes.

Sheep are like whitetails. Where there's fringe land meeting farmland... There's whitetails... Where the treeline meets the alpine... There's sheep. But they might be some distance between groups, or held up in the trees. You don't see whitetails in every field.

So go hike some hills, the sheep will find you...
Old 06-12-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
If you are going to shoot one in Jasper you'll need to pick up a treaty card as well.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:41 PM

Seriously,
What everyone is saying get out find the meadows and start looking. I have a couple buddies who at 45 years old decided that they should start sheep hunting with backpacks. After 4 years of hiking for 10 days ever year they finally saw rams (one was on the cusp of being legal). This year they will be better prepared as every year they have learned a little more in sheep country.

RJ
Old 06-12-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
1. Look at the sheep gear thread
2. Buy that gear
3. Buy license
4. Go to mountains and kill sheep
5. Get yourself in at least semi decent shape before heading out.

You'll enjoy the experience alot more if your not completely gassed the whole time
Old 06-12-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Sheep hunting is much like your " first time "

Find a nice quiet spot, where you believe people won't bother you...Don't just stare and play with the peaks, look down in the bush too... When you figure out what you like, you might get crazy enough climb into some crevices, and figure out their back door can be fun a exciting, once you ease your way in!!

Eventually you fumble around until you find the honey hole! Then BAM!!! You get to shoot that load you've being building for awhile.........and That's how you end up mounting your first sheep!

The old timers say, your first sheep is born, the year you decide to hunt them !

Good luck!
Old 06-13-2015, 06:54 AM

Have any of you ever had any issues leaving your vehicle parked on the side of the road while in the back country?

I have yet to look at the ERSD back country maps, but I assume it's mostly lease roads that get you a little farther back from the highway? What kind of shape are these roads in?
Old 06-13-2015, 07:05 AM

Thousands of cars are parked in the back country in Alberta because people like to do stuff in the mountains. The odd break in happens, just like when you park at Wal mart. Don't worry about it. No, most staging areas are not on lease roads. Most are popular back country trailheads for a variety of activities.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshT View Post
Have any of you ever had any issues leaving your vehicle parked on the side of the road while in the back country?

I have yet to look at the ERSD back country maps, but I assume it's mostly lease roads that get you a little farther back from the highway? What kind of shape are these roads in?
Had a medium size grizzly walk all over my truck a couple years back. Left his muddy tracks all over the truck and a couple kinks in the hood. Glad he didn't get inside. That's it so far, knock on wood.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:47 AM

If you dont question your sanity, you havent gone far enough ot hard enough.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:30 AM

Default Sheep hunting

Depending where You park your vehicle it can be very risky. We got our vehicle broke into last fall, rear window smashed lots of stuff stolen. On certain people know that if a vehicle is still there at 10/11 at night that owner is camping in the bush and it's easy pickings. Take a walk along the roadside pull outs in the mountains west of Longview and you'll be amazed at the amount of broken window glass laying around.

We've started leaving the truck unlocked, nothing in it and a sign saying "there's nothing here." CAA has a sign for that by the way. Take the bulb out of the glove box so that when they leave it open your battery won't be dead.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:11 PM

Head west of Highway 2, stop at mountains. Bring good spotting scope,cultivate concentration and patience,bring good climbing boots and or track cleats, any legal gun for killing big game in Alberta and bring 30 ft. of flexible rope to pack out head,cape and meat ! Nothing to it !!
Old 06-13-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockjockey View Post
If you are going to shoot one in Jasper you'll need to pick up a treaty card as well.

Ha.....that card won't do you any good in Jasper...well not yet anyway
Old 06-14-2015, 02:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
Ha.....that card won't do you any good in Jasper...well not yet anyway
lol
Old 06-14-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post

Find a nice quiet spot, where you believe people won't bother you...Don't just stare and play with the peaks, look down in the bush too... When you figure out what you like, you might get crazy enough climb into some crevices, and figure out their back door can be fun a exciting, once you ease your way in!!

Eventually you fumble around until you find the honey hole! Then BAM!!! You get to shoot that load you've being building for awhile.........and That's how you end up mounting your first sheep!

The old timers say, your first sheep is born, the year you decide to hunt them !

Good luck!

Ewe....

Do Not go sheep hunting with a Greek unless you bring pack goats....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 06-14-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro1 View Post
...Put the stalk on, fail...
This is the #1 mistake most guys make. You spend waaaay too much time just finding a legal ram to be attempting a risky stalk. I have camped out on rams up to 4 days before they moved into a stalkable position, and then killed them. If you have to backtrack and go entirely around the mountain, then over the top to get to them without being seen until after the shot, then do it, don't risk all those hours and footsteps that led you to this one moment.

Yes other hunters may show up and either kill or spook them out but that is no reason to spook them out yourself. Your highest odds are to wait until things are right and then make your move. Cadomin being the obvious exception to this rule since at times there literally is a hunter on every ridge.

The one thing I long ago gave up is playing the wind in the mountains. No matter what it is doing where you are you will experience every single direction imaginable (including up and down) on any given stalk. I have only ever had 1 stalk blown due to wind and it was from our side but then swirled around the bowl and to the sheep from the opposite direction that it was blowing where we were.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:41 AM

#1, before anything else.

Go backpacking!

You don't need to spend thousands on glass, guns, stiff boots, specialized packs, etc. If you're got some clothes and day hiking boots, you can go to MEC and rent a pack, tent, etc.

Find someone who likes backpacking and go with them.

All the advice in this thread is good... but it all assumes that you LIKE backpacking. If you've never lived out of pack in the mountains for days on end... it's not a safe assumption that you will like it.

Certainly not everyone enjoys crazy muscle pain, absolute isolation, unproductive hours sitting around doing nothing, and the never-ending feeling that inanimate trees, rocks, and rivers are all trying to kill you.

Rent gear, go for a 4-5 day backpacking trip and make sure you like it. Success ratios for sheep are below 6%... most of your sheep hunting will just be backpacking anyway.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:20 AM

thanks for the advice. i have not done much backpacking, but i have done a ton of tenting. last summer i spent over 2 months in a tent! i love it!!
Old 06-15-2015, 08:31 PM

I'm going to be doing my first backpack sheep hunt west of rocky this year never hunted sheep before. I've spent countless hours reading about sheep hunting on here 😊
Old 06-17-2015, 08:05 AM

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-0...tips-a-tactics
Old 06-17-2015, 02:57 PM

I think there is some good advice here.

Years ago I went on a hike in the fall. I was 30 yards away from a ram that came down out of his bed. I wasn't hunting... nor was I even into it at the time. Now that I do hunt - that experience haunts me as any true moment of irony does.

Sheep hunters are a quirky lot. Ask them where they hunt and they wont even point at the mountains for fear they have tipped you off. Many are happy to tell you that your gear isn't good enough and that you need $10,000 on your back before you "qualify". Buy a tag, buy a map, take a risk, hike and learn.

Enjoy
Old 06-17-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotter View Post
Sheep hunters are a quirky lot. Ask them where they hunt and they wont even point at the mountains for fear they have tipped you off. Many are happy to tell you that your gear isn't good enough and that you need $10,000 on your back before you "qualify". Buy a tag, buy a map, take a risk, hike and learn.

Enjoy
X2 - but don't be stupid about the risks you take. Get some backpacking under your belt and keep thinking ahead about your safety. Take care of your body and keep an eye on the weather. You're on your own back there.

Last piece of advice - get a guidebook and try scrambling an easy peak or two. People get themselves in trouble on mountains by wandering off into dangerous terrain and getting stuck or trying to push on when it's not safe. Mileage develops judgement.

Give it a go - it doesn't have to be fun to be fun!
Old 06-17-2015, 08:23 PM

Sheep hunting is easy. Enjoy the time in the mountains. The hard part is climbing them.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:54 PM

I started by going over hunter success stats and picking a zone with a very low kill count, but a high success percentage. Most years not a single ram is shot. Turns out the country was brutal to access, no water ounce you left the valley way below.( you need min 4 lt/day per man to survive up there, that's heavy livin) No hoarses on these mountains because there is enough small clifts to stop them, that means no guided hunters. Super steep turrian, that finding a camp spot was neerly imposible. I only have one on the whole range big enough for my small tent. That means i have yet to see another hunter in 12 different years over the last 20. I did one pre-season scotting trip and bagged a ram on my fourth day of my first hunt. Took my brother inlaw back two years later and he bagged a full curl in the first two hours, now that is "Hoarse shoes". He spent the next three days hauling it out while i looked for another one. No luck that time. I did pass on one a few years later that was no bigger than my first. I am still looking for one bigger.

My point is no different than hunting anything else. Go where most everyone doesn't. That is way harder than it sounds. Remember that the rams have habituated themselves to quiet places. Pretty much means brutal access, but it does equal sheep.

Oh, last thing, don't miss.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post

Good luck!

Hahaha Priceless
The old timers saying is pretty much bang on for most